Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

http://puu.sh/70sJ2.jpg

Found a Core 2 Duo e4300 so I made a keychain out of it. Too bad it gets all scratched from my keys :( Just made my friend the same thing except with a 3 ghz P4. We still have some floppys around here.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

You guys are posting hardware that isn't really retro.. So if it counts I have a Geforce 8800GT 320MB card ...

That is about 7 yrs old?  That is pretty old considering how fast computer tech advances.  I posted a 200GB IDE HDD from 2004 (three platters).  In computer yrs that is almost ancient

That is about 7 yrs old?  That is pretty old considering how fast computer tech advances.  I posted a 200GB IDE HDD from 2004 (three platters).  In computer yrs that is almost ancient

Not really to me. I had a 80GB IDE and a 200 IDE HDDs in my system until I upgraded at the end of 2012. Hell, in 2009 my laptop had a 4GB HDD. It was an Inspiron 3500, loved that thing.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I have a Pentium 4

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

Not really to me. I had a 80GB IDE and a 200 IDE HDDs in my system until I upgraded at the end of 2012. Hell, in 2009 my laptop had a 4GB HDD. It was an Inspiron 3500, loved that thing.

lol, a 4GB HDD?  I would definately call that ancient. haha

I had a 2GB HDD in early 90s, but got rid of it by the late 90s.  To have a 4GB in a 2009 laptop is unimaginable. :)  I'm typing from my 2009 laptop now with 1tb drives. but 4GB?

lol, a 4GB HDD?  I would definately call that ancient. haha

I had a 2GB HDD in early 90s, but got rid of it by the late 90s.  To have a 4GB in a 2009 laptop is unimaginable. :)  I'm typing from my 2009 laptop now with 1tb drives. but 4GB?

Yep. Same size as the flash drive I had at the time. It was a 366MHz P2 laptop with Windows 2000 and a 1024x768 screen. Actually one of my favorite laptops I've had.

My current laptop has a single 50GB SSD in it and I still have over 15GB free. (Windows 7 Ultimate. I put the big games on an external drive. I'm thinking of getting a HDD caddy that goes into the CD drive slot.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I'm working on the PCs that would qualify in this thread...Pentium 4...An AMD Athlon XP1800+...floppy disks...ball mouse...And Pentium 3 recently died and has been replaced with a G2020

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X58  Cooler: Scythe Ninja 3 + Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair Value Ram, 3 x 4 GB Corsair Value Ram GPU: MSI GTX 780 Lightning; SSD: Corsair Force 3 128GB Storage: 1 x 1 TB HDD (Samsung + 2 WD + Seagate) Case: CM 690 II Advanced Mouse: Steelseries Ikari + Steelseries Qck Mini Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Controller: Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Controller Instrument (Rocksmith 2014): Yamaha BB414

I'm working on the PCs that would qualify in this thread...Pentium 4...An AMD Athlon XP1800+...floppy disks...ball mouse...And Pentium 3 recently died and has been replaced with a G2020

Pleaso do post some pics when it's done:)

Pleaso do post some pics when it's done:)

Working on as in I actually use it for Microsoft Word/Excel etc.

7F2hDa3.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X58  Cooler: Scythe Ninja 3 + Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair Value Ram, 3 x 4 GB Corsair Value Ram GPU: MSI GTX 780 Lightning; SSD: Corsair Force 3 128GB Storage: 1 x 1 TB HDD (Samsung + 2 WD + Seagate) Case: CM 690 II Advanced Mouse: Steelseries Ikari + Steelseries Qck Mini Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Controller: Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Controller Instrument (Rocksmith 2014): Yamaha BB414

i think the oldest pc part i have atm is an OC-118N external floppy drive for a commodore xD

2014 02 26 18.26.52

should also have some actual floppy's around here for it rest i have is all no older then 20y should also have a 20Gb maxtor drive somewhere

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Just because you're 12, doesn't mean you can't have old computer parts. I have some Core 2 Duo, and a Nvidia 8800 GTS or something like that.

8800 is not old, you can still play BF3 in a low resolution.

Old is Like nvidia geforce 2,3 etc.

De have an Older PC in the cellar but i dont want to Call him ancient:

Core 2 Duo @ 2,2 GHz, 2 Gb DDR 3 i think, 200Gb HDD, Nvidia Geforce 9500gt 1gb Vram

Just because you're 12, doesn't mean you can't have old computer parts. I have some Core 2 Duo, and a Nvidia 8800 GTS or something like that.

Yeah I have a

ASUS K8V SE DELUXE

DDR400 memory

Maxtor 40mb HDDS

like 4 pcs from 1997 98 99 2001

And duron something

Athalon origional

ASUS riva (some old GeForce forgot the numbers)

Amd x1300 gpu

I have 4 ancient gpus

A CRT monitor

A USB 1.0 PCI card

A bunch of IDE Hdds

Delta fans

Sony vaio laptop from 1999 with mechanical (cracking) keys

Pentium II AND III

A really old keyboard (rubber dome)

4 ball mice

Dell d610 and d620 and Lenovo t60 and dell optiplex 745 small form

2 dell 2001fp.

Some sony camcorder from 1996

An adaptec SCSI PCI-x still in the box

And I'm still young

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Not sure if this belongs in this subforum...

So inspired by my recent find from a scrapyard, a fully functional Samsung SyncMaster v710 monitor (pictured), I became curious about what have you guys/gals here on LTT found from trash (dumpsters, landfills, scrapyards, anywhere where the stuff has been left abandoned). Mainly tech related but if there's something else awesome you've found, feel free to post 'em here.

post-23506-0-00936100-1393595830.jpg

If there's pictures of your findings, post them (so we'll see it's condition and if it's actually real and not made up).

I'll start:

I have one half of my closet filled with tech salvaged from just one local scrapyard. Mostly nonfunctional (all the speakers and keyboards, possibly few routers too), but there's a lot of cables that work (+ few PS/2 laser mice that somewhat work)

post-23506-0-39957000-1393596269.jpg

post-23506-0-42060300-1393596548.jpg

About a year ago when I used to go search for this kind of stuff more often, I found 25 DVI-D cables in this kind of packages, all of them were in the same place at the same time. Tried few of them, everything worked (I have one on my main rig now). There's 19 DVI-D cables in the pic, but I have 4 more laying around. The rest (2) have been given away long ago to some friends.

post-23506-0-85744100-1393596883.jpg

Those keyboards and speakers are dead, but those mice work. The mouse that's totally black is a USB ball mouse, works well. The rest are PS/2 laser mice that sometimes like to go crazy and move the cursor all over the place.

post-23506-0-16215000-1393597204.jpg

A old Nokia phone. Turns on, battery is still alive, but the screen is broken. Kinda shame, as this phone's case is actually durable (stainless steel)

In addition to those, over a dozen of 240V PC power cables (tried few, they all worked), 2 landline phones (or whatever are the old wired phones called) and a really old HP Omnibook laptop (not visible in any of the pictures, but of the 2nd picture it's under the old Compaq laptop (which in the closet is bellow the DVI-D cables)) of which has it's RAM sticks missing.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Those are some pretty decent finds there. But yeah...I'm not really into searching through dumpsters for tech, personally. I don't think I live near a scrapyard or anything like that, either.

For the items you found that are nonfunctional, are you ever planning to do anything with them? Just curious.

my friend's dad got a highend powerlan system in a lost and found box

Those are some pretty decent finds there. But yeah...I'm not really into searching through dumpsters for tech, personally. I don't think I live near a scrapyard or anything like that, either.

For the items you found that are nonfunctional, are you ever planning to do anything with them? Just curious.

Maybe. I found out that they're nonfunctional once I tried them in home. 

Some of them I might deliver back where I took them, from some I might try to create something (like... I dunno... Something like a bracelet from the keyboard's keycaps? Maybe something else?)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I've actually never scavenged for old parts that might still work. Really nice finds OP, that monitor and all those DVI cables are a nice find! 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I got a router printer core2 duo pc a monitor/tv(behind a walmart in a dumpster a little scratched but screen still like new.

This wasn't really in the trash, but at a thrift shop I found a 19 inch hp monitor for $23 (USD) and one of those square dell monitors that you find in schools and businesses for $10. They both work perfectly fine and were very cheap!

Radeon x1950 agp this was a fast card back in the day, my last agp card.

That's awesome:D I like how you got the a R.A.T top modern mouse next to the old graphics card ;)

That's awesome:D I like how you got the a R.A.T top modern mouse next to the old graphics card ;)

Thx, I should make a new picture :P I just bought a corsair k70 and m65 mouse :) :)

This was  something like a 780 back in the agp days

I've got 2 DDR 256MB 400MHz RAM with a Pentium 4 CPU and a 80GB floppy drive. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Thx, I should make a new picture :P I just bought a corsair k70 and m65 mouse :) :)

This was  something like a 780 back in the agp days

Why did you buy a new mouse? You'r not happy with the R.A.T? Haha that was awhile ago ;)