Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I've gotten my uncle's old (Morgan) Duron 1000 home. I luckily have an example of how to unlock it with the Athlon 1800+. Practising will be done on the Sempron 2800+ first as I want it on a 400Mhz FSB.

Look bottom left of the Athlon, next to "L1".

And the reduction in die size going from .18 micron to .13 micron...with 4x the L2 cache...

Very nice! I have such a softspot for Durons, and Athlons. Best of luck with that Sempron.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Very nice! I have such a softspot for Durons, and Athlons. Best of luck with that Sempron.

The old Durons are packaged exactly the same as my old Ti 486 DX4-100. About the same size as well. Don't know if it works as I don't have a working VGA card, and my 386 board only takes 486 DX2-66 in the co-pro socket.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I've gotten my uncle's old (Morgan) Duron 1000 home. I luckily have an example of how to unlock it with the Athlon 1800+. Practising will be done on the Sempron 2800+ first as I want it on a 400Mhz FSB.

20201124_062119.thumb.jpg.0b1feba06090b6dbc42eaf09aebee022.jpg

Look bottom left of the Athlon, next to "L1".

And the reduction in die size going from .18 micron to .13 micron...with 4x the L2 cache...

Sometimes I miss direct die cooling, but then I remember the incredible risk of chipping a CPU core and I don't miss it, but then I remember all the times I've mounted and dismounted P3 coolers and never damaged anything and wonder if maybe the risk is overblown. but then I remember how good modern heat spreaders are when they're soldered to the dies, but then I remember that Intel doesn't solder on most of their product stack and sometimes I miss direct die cooling.

This G3 tower was sitting on the floor of my dads damp basement for over a decade. She boots, she runs, she’s pristine inside somehow. 

18282A90-1B8D-4A22-8991-68C868F7DCD3.jpeg

B77638BB-7B0F-444D-8A5D-3B2ADB1B17AB.jpeg

E8BC0C84-C4E4-413B-B1EA-5C03A5414F94.jpeg

C06904A3-F127-4402-8558-33DD6C0156B5.jpeg

2C1C6027-4CDE-4B50-B836-C047C9231E2F.jpeg

12 minutes ago, illikiwi said:

This G3 tower was sitting on the floor of my dads damp basement for over a decade. She boots, she runs, she’s pristine inside somehow.

The days of Macs being actually pretty good at playing games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I wish my G4 was as nice as that.

It rejects any version of OS X, though I think its because all of my keyboards are at least 7 years older than it.

Getting the keyboard designed for it for Christmas in hopes of it being happier.

elephants

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I wish my G4 was as nice as that.

It rejects any version of OS X, though I think its because all of my keyboards are at least 7 years older than it.

Getting the keyboard designed for it for Christmas in hopes of it being happier.

I think there might be a firmware update to enable it, if I recall correctly it’s when mac went x86 which is why OS9 is emulated after the install. 

Problem is, it can't boot anything. Just pulls up the Apple logo, then the circle with line through it.

And this is a 1999 Mac.

Thankfully I have burned copies of OS 9, OS X 10.0, OS X 10.1.3, and OS X 10.4.6.

So I should be able to get it working :)

*After I replace its CMOS battery.

elephants

Also if you’re still interested in having fun with it, In highschool I missed the case and upgraded my gigabit g4 with an aftermarket dual core processor which I believe was 1.4 Ghz and overclockable, I think the kits are still available. 

image.jpg

Possibly the rarest water block? Cathar's Little River Storm G5 silver version. (Aka that one Australian guy mentioned in LTT's aliexpress watercooling video.) I never got to install it. It took a very long time to finally get the block, and I found my first real job after school with tons of traveling. When the job calmed down, CPU die sizes had grown past what G5 was designed for. 😂

G5_SS1.jpg

G5_SS2.jpg

I have 1gb micro card

i am new here can any one give my tour

1 hour ago, ToboRobot said:

I got some killer nics from QuakeCon a few years ago!

-pic snip-

The title did say retro right? :D or old

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

10 hours ago, s3riouscat said:

Possibly the rarest water block? Cathar's Little River Storm G5 silver version. (Aka that one Australian guy mentioned in LTT's aliexpress watercooling video.) I never got to install it. It took a very long time to finally get the block, and I found my first real job after school with tons of traveling. When the job calmed down, CPU die sizes had grown past what G5 was designed for. 😂

G5_SS1.jpg

G5_SS2.jpg

I think I had that one before you, I had one of his early storm blocks.  I got one from Cathar when I was on the overclockers.com forums.

Once I catch up on my homework I'll have an SNES to show you all.

My grandpa was digging through his "storage" room (really the "toss the boxes in because we never use it anymore" room).

I knew about the N64, 'cause me and my cousin played Ocarina of Time on it.

I didn't know about the SNES.

I hope it has Mario World :) 

elephants

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I found A WHOPPING 8MB CF card from '99 lol. For some reason it was on the floor under my desk which certainly has not been here since '99.

I have a 40MB and 2 64MB.

Nothing to read them with yet tho.

elephants

4 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I have a 40MB and 2 64MB.

Nothing to read them with yet tho.

I bet this one has some pictures on it, I should grab a reader and give it a try!

Found a Sabrent Floppy/Card reader combo that still works, plugged the USB into a board and away we went. Found it had 4 photos of a Cimatti Moped seat from a long time ago. Nothing exciting sadly.

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

Ok I know this is the retro thread but I got my 6800 and I'm just so excited I had to show it off.

I must need an adapter, it doesn't fit in my pcie 3.0 slot very well.

That's retro now, and sexy!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

My first ever water cooled build on the X58 platform back in 2010:

_MG_7255.jpg

_MG_7279.jpg.fc485cec9c89272b59fbc5b3ad8737c2.jpg

_MG_7941.jpg.a7fd9be2b631796e44b806addc166ea0.jpg

Specs list:

i7 930
EVGA E760 Classified
XFX 5870 Crossfire
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1600MHZ
CORSAIR 850HX with MDPC-X sleeving
2x OCZ Agility 60gb SSD in RAID0
2x 1tb WD Green RAID0
Custom Powder Coated TJ07
EK-Supreme HF
2x EK-FC5870 V2 Acetal
Tygon B-44-4X 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) - "Non-Porous" Smooth Tubing
Primoflex Nylon Reusable Hose Clamp - Black - 3/4" OD
Yate Loon 120mm x 20mm Slim Fan - Low Speed (D12SL-12C)
EK-MultiOption 4 Port RES 150 Rev. 2 Liquid Cooling Reservoir
XSPC RX120 120mm Radiator
XSPC RX480 Quad 120mm Radiator
MCP655 12 VDC Pump

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website

6 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Not... exactly sure that counts as retro, but cool!

Unfortunately, that's as far back as I have pictures for. My first ever build I did myself was back in high school. It was an Athlon 800mhz slot build in an old tank of a steel case with a 3dfx GPU. Airflow was terrible, thing would crank up over 90c and lock up on the regular. Wish I had pictures.

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website