Corsair/Asus(ROG) Build, 1st Timer

Hello Everyone!,

I'm going to start this build log with a description and move along from there!

I appreciate any feedback (agree or disagree), just keep it adult, polite, and a friendly discussion.

First off, this is my first PC build. I got into PC gaming about 1-2 years ago without knowing much. That's why I went out and bought me a Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop. Still an awesome machine (with Intel Core I7 with 2.3Ghz/Intelboost@3.3, 16Gb ram, GTX675m, and beautiful Samsung 17" screen), but I wanted to build my own. Not only build my own, but as nice as a noob could think of, watching Youtube and making my own biased decisions.

With all that said, let's break it down!

Case: Corsair 900D

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Extreme

CPU: Intel 4th Gen. Haswell Core I7 4770k

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8 @ 2400

GPU: Asus GTX780ti (reference model being that the digi+ model is not out yet)

Cooling: Corsair H100i (with 4 SP PWM fans is push/pull), 3x Noctua PWM 120mm intake fans and 1x Noctua 140mm 3pin exhaust fan

Storage: Sandisk (non-consumer) 256Gb SDD, 750Gb Hitachi HDD (pulled out of my laptop when replaced with 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which I plan on moving into this build)

Sound: Razer Tiamat 7.1 gaming headset

Acc.: Asus Blu-ray Writer, Rosewill multimedia drive bay, handy USB 3.0 flash drive, Articsilver 5 and cleaners, plenty of air in a can,

I'm going to get some pics up soon, some gameplay data/footage, and what it took ordering all this (which ended up being a huge pain in my ass)!

If I were you I would go with a 750d, if you use the 900 and you are not planning on expanding to a large custom loop its gunna look kinda empty just cause its such a big case.

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

If I were you I would go with a 750d, if you use the 900 and you are not planning on expanding to a large custom loop its gunna look kinda empty just cause its such a big case.

Good advise man! The 900D is HUGE and I mean really rally HUGE! That H100i will look minuscule in there. Get the 750D unless you are planing of filling the case with an insane amount of radiators. However if you want a big nice looking case the Cooler Master Cosmos 2 is really nice as well and won't look so empty as the 900D. Other than that your choice of parts is amazing!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Uhhhh your build seems a tad over kill, 

1) If you're just gaming, you don't need an i7, an i5 is better/cheaper

2)Your MB (IMO) is a silly, get something better bang for buck
3) Your PSU is way over kill, you don't need a Platinum PSU, period. 

4) Get lower frequency RAM for cheaper, the performance difference between high frequency and low frequency is minimal

5) The headset you got, the Tiamat is horrible, there is no way that a tiny 7.1 system will sound good, heck, no freaking way till will it beat my ATH-M50's in terms of sound quality and it will get stomped by my XBA-4's 

Disclaimer: this is purely my opinion and thus not fact nor will it represent what others think. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I have several criticisms of your build (constructive of course :))

First is you really do not need a 900D. No matter how big it looks in the picture it is always bigger in person :P With your configuration I would say go for a 750D or a Fractal Design ARC Midi.

My other complaint is the ROG board. Sure it looks cool but you are spending a lot of money on a piece of hardware that will give you no performance boost at all. Also I might as well clear this up, the onboard audio on ROG boards are not actually vastly superior to other boards like they say they are.

Also high speed RAM really is generally considered useless. It just costs more.

Third is your set of headphones. Not only are Razer's headsets bad in general, but all gaming headsets are actually bad for gaming. What you want are Audiophile grade headphones plus a mic, they have a much better soundstage that makes it much easier to clearly locate people.

Ill be editing this some more giving more detail on these but that is my main advice.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Good advise man! The 900D is HUGE and I mean really rally HUGE! That H100i will look minuscule in there. Get the 750D unless you are planing of filling the case with an insane amount of radiators. However if you want a big nice looking case the Cooler Master Cosmos 2 is really nice as well and won't look so empty as the 900D. Other than that your choice of parts is amazing!

4) Get lower frequency RAM for cheaper, the performance difference between high frequency and low frequency is minimal

5) The headset you got, the Tiamat is horrible, there is no way that a tiny 7.1 system will sound good, heck, no freaking way till will it beat my ATH-M50's in terms of sound quality and it will get stomped by my XBA-4's 

Disclaimer: this is purely my opinion and thus not fact nor will it represent what others think. 

First is you really do not need a 900D. No matter how big it looks in the picture it is always bigger in person :P With your configuration I would say go for a 750D or a Fractal Design ARC Midi.

My other complaint is the ROG board. Sure it looks cool but you are spending a lot of money on a piece of hardware that will give you no performance boost at all. Also I might as well clear this up, the onboard audio on ROG boards are not actually vastly superior to other boards like they say they are.

Third is your set of headphones. Not only are Razer's headsets bad in general, but all gaming headsets are actually bad for gaming. What you want are Audiophile grade headphones plus a mic, they have a much better soundstage that makes it much easier to clearly locate people.

Ill be editing this some more giving more detail on these but that is my main advice.

I don't think any of u read this part "I'm going to get some pics up soon, some gameplay data/footage, and what it took ordering all this (which ended up being a huge pain in my ass)!" im assuming he already has everything...

Never mind...

I don't think any of u read this part "I'm going to get some pics up soon, some gameplay data/footage, and what it took ordering all this (which ended up being a huge pain in my ass)!" im assuming he already has everything...

Unfortunately not, why is it at the end of the post? :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Wow, I could have sworn that last sentence was not there when he first posted :/

You'd be surprised. They aren't nearly as bad as people say they are. If tiny little drivers in in-ear earphones can sound good, so can mini 7.1 drivers. Of course, they're expensive and dedicated headphones are the way to go, but they are not horrible... Not by any standard.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

You'd be surprised. They aren't nearly as bad as people say they are. If tiny little drivers in in-ear earphones can sound good, so can mini 7.1 drivers. Of course, they're expensive and dedicated headphones are the way to go, but they are not horrible... Not by any standard.

I think he's speaking comparatively, I had astro a50's for quite a while, I thought they sounded really really good, once I upgraded to my ad-900x's it was like no comparison, I started hearing noises in games I'd never heard before, music became less muddy and more clear, new noises in music I'd never heard, it just makes a huge difference IMO.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So I wanted to chime in. First off congrats on trying to put your own build together! Everyone has an opinion but your money buys what you want. You have chosen some high quality parts. Some can be carried forward to future builds. I too have the 900d. This is my favourite case thus far and I can do anything I want to in it. I have an extensive cooling loop with room to spare. So yeah it might make everything seem really small with your components in it but it's a great case. FYI it weighs 40lbs empty. It is just a little shorter than my 3 year old daughter LOL!

Have fun with it. Your money and your time! Enjoy in good health

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Hello Everyone!,

I'm going to start this build log with a description and move along from there!

Cooling: Corsair H100i (with 4 SP PWM fans is push/pull), 3x Noctua PWM 120mm intake fans and 1x Noctua 140mm 3pin exhaust fan

I'm going to get some pics up soon, some gameplay data/footage, and what it took ordering all this (which ended up being a huge pain in my ass)!

Hi.

Looking forward to it.

Did you consider using Noctua NF-P12 or NF-F12 fans for the H100i instead of the SP120?

Looking forward to the pics.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1) Get a lower wattage psu (RM 650/RM 750)
2) Lower frequency ram (1866 would work fine)
3) Get a different mobo (Maximus VI Formula/Hero)
4) Get a different pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD 558 + Blue snowball)
5) I would personally go with a 750D or a Define R4

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Do you plan on doing a fair amount of gameplay editing, you might as well keep the 4770k. And unless you are extreme editing, 8gb of ram should be fine. Considering you are getting the h100i you are OCing and I assume you will be adding more GPU. I think you could still run 4 780 ti off of a 1000w power supply (RM 1000)

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

• 3 weeks later...

If I were you I would go with a 750d, if you use the 900 and you are not planning on expanding to a large custom loop its gunna look kinda empty just cause its such a big case.

So I do plan on going with two more gpu's, and full custom loop including memory and vrm.

5) The headset you got, the Tiamat is horrible, there is no way that a tiny 7.1 system will sound good, heck, no freaking way till will it beat my ATH-M50's in terms of sound quality and it will get stomped by my XBA-4's

Thanks for the tip,

1)Not tripping on money

2)Love the look of the ROG boards and I believe the Formula isn't capable of 4-way SLI. Also wanted the OC Panel for the looks and functionality in optical bay.

3)The AX1200i is fully loaded and suppose to be at the top of it's class. Also going 3-way SLI w/ internal soundcard or ROG Raidr card or 4-way(haven't decided yet).

4)I did realize that but the 2400 was around my price concern. With XMP profiles I can always lower it for OC'ing(I've hit 4.6 at 2400 already).

5)I really don't know too much about sound being a noob. That being said, They are super comfortable, they sound great to me right now, I'm going with a Razer peripheral theme, and the design and functionality I find to be awesome for my tastes.

I appreciate your advice.

1) I like the design of the 900D and don't worry about size.

2)ram and headset, replied to that above.

Thank you, I feel the same.

So I wanted to chime in. First off congrats on trying to put your own build together! Everyone has an opinion but your money buys what you want. You have chosen some high quality parts. Some can be carried forward to future builds. I too have the 900d. This is my favourite case thus far and I can do anything I want to in it. I have an extensive cooling loop with room to spare. So yeah it might make everything seem really small with your components in it but it's a great case. FYI it weighs 40lbs empty. It is just a little shorter than my 3 year old daughter LOL!

Have fun with it. Your money and your time! Enjoy in good health

Thank you for the Input

Hi.

Looking forward to it.

Did you consider using Noctua NF-P12 or NF-F12 fans for the H100i instead of the SP120?

Looking forward to the pics.

No I am probably just going to run the noctuas is the front, My local computer store didn't have static pressure PDW 4-pin fans in the Noctua and I like that the corsairs go with the build. I don't know I'm on the fence.

No way dude, i have that exact same laptop :D its freaking amazing. Id reconsider the 1200w psu though, little too much :P

Isn't It. Love my SamGam(for those that cant figure it out, Samsung [series 7] Gamer)

Do you plan on doing a fair amount of gameplay editing, you might as well keep the 4770k. And unless you are extreme editing, 8gb of ram should be fine. Considering you are getting the h100i you are OCing and I assume you will be adding more GPU. I think you could still run 4 780 ti off of a 1000w power supply (RM 1000)

I replied above to my PCI plans above. As for the RAM, I plan on throwing two more in so I can utilize the ROG RamDisk software more.

Now, after all those late responses, this is an apology to all everyone I neglected by not following up on my thread.

I am sorry for leaving you guys hanging!

I have been super busy at work due to holidays, and also am primary caregiver for my grandfather(which is most important!

No I am probably just going to run the noctuas is the front, My local computer store didn't have static pressure PDW 4-pin fans in the Noctua and I like that the corsairs go with the build. I don't know I'm on the fence.

The stock H100i fans can be reasonably quiet when not working too hard.

I have to say that its going to be fun seeing the pics. In reading the specs I caught myself wondering why only 2x8GB memory and not 4x8GB.

I think if you're going ROG, go with the Maximus VI Formula, a much better looking board and less "wasteful" features than the Extreme. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

The stock H100i fans can be reasonably quiet when not working too hard.

I have to say that its going to be fun seeing the pics. In reading the specs I caught myself wondering why only 2x8GB memory and not 4x8GB.

Then hold on, making post right now, just configuring pics I have right now. Can you advise me how to upload directly from my system. All I see is from URL.

Then hold on, making post right now, just configuring pics I have right now. Can you advise me how to upload directly from my system. All I see is from URL.

Go to More Reply Options. You will see an attachments section bottom left. Browse to the pic & select, then click Attach This File. Repeat as needed. They don't show up until you save.

I think if you're going ROG, go with the Maximus VI Formula, a much better looking board and less "wasteful" features than the Extreme.

I did want to go with the formula, but as I posted:

1) I wanted more PCIE

2) I plan on doing a custom(I think XS-PC) VRM water cooling block.

3) I wanted the OC Panel for my optical bay. I have all my bays mapped out and want to use all of them.

Thanks for the vote of personal choice though. I like hearing these even when I have, as I said, "my own biased" layout for this build.

I don't mind the Input though. Thank you guys, for your interest. It makes the money I blew that much more worth it!

Wow, I could have sworn that last sentence was not there when he first posted :/

It was

Go to More Reply Options. You will see an attachments section bottom left. Browse to the pic & select, then click Attach This File. Repeat as needed. They don't show up until you save.

Also, never done much picture uploading, my pics are about 6mb. I need to get them done to 2mb it says. Any recommendations?

Also, never done much picture uploading, my pics are about 6mb. I need to get them done to 2mb it says. Any recommendations?

Upload the pictures to imgur and use the links of the pictures to embed them in the post.

Upload the pictures to imgur and use the links of the pictures to embed them in the post.

Thank you, I'm starting to get tired so I'm actually going to upload tomorrow since it's more work than I thought.