Corsair/Asus(ROG) Build, 1st Timer

Here's a couple more of the boxes I set up until I get the wiring done. I'm going to order the paracord today. Look into the etching and powder coating.

post-51113-0-11130700-1389307645_thumb.j

post-51113-0-01828700-1389307656_thumb.j

post-51113-0-70114900-1389307664_thumb.j

post-51113-0-96600400-1389307673_thumb.j

post-51113-0-64297700-1389307683_thumb.j

post-51113-0-00287700-1389307693_thumb.j

post-51113-0-51660900-1389307700_thumb.j

Just let the person be happy with what they bought and let them enjoy building they're system. You expect them to return everything and get what you mentioned? No, they wont, so if you have nothing nice to say be quiet and let them enjoy. Everyone learns from experience first hand.

TY for the backing up, even if not necessary. He did state that was his opinion, and I did comment back. Let me guess though, you just watched The WAN Show and are reiterating Linus's comment on community respect. As I posted on another thread, Linus is not a god. Not all of us are as easily offended as by someone saying, "You should have gone with this part!". Just because the money is spent doesn't mean one agrees entirely with a suggestion. It's when you say, " Man, your stupid for buying that! You could have gotten this if you had a brain!". Yes, that's offensive. So everyone, this is a forum! Which means anyone can post an opinion on any topic. That's what we are here for, to grow together and learn. Just keep it polite as posted in the very first post on this thread.

Again, thanks for caring, even though I ranted a little.

It's when you say, " Man, your stupid for buying that! You could have gotten this if you had a brain!". Yes, that's offensive.

Except there are actually cases where that is true, like when someone buys a 4960X. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Except there are actually cases where that is true, like when someone buys a 4960X. 

I miss the point. We are here to share opinions, not slander. If you call someone stupid because you have a different opinion, that just makes you a butt wipe. What if the guys wants the hottest chip he can buy and has so much money he can light his cigar with that chip, buy a time machine to go to to the future when they can repair the cancer he got and do over again. There are people that aren't concerned about money at all. When they go out and look at the price tag and go, "That one looks nice!". Not everyone needs to penny pinch, hence the enthusiast market like Zonda's and Bugatti's. It's the differences in life style that change opinion. My friend makes twice what I do, but spent half the money on his system compared to mine. The performance:cost ratio is negligible. To him its adequate. For me I still want to drop $2-3k on top of the $4k I spent just for 2 more monitors, 2 GPUs, custom water loop, sound, raid card, more storage, etc.

So someone buying a 4960X would be stupid, even if the small amount of extra power would save them the cost of the cpu every month?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I swear I wrote a reply. but I don't see it so Ill shorten it.

You shouldn't be rude is what I was saying. You can disagree but not slander. I shouldn't need to explain this again.

Maybe that person has so much money he does not care to pay. Hence the enthusiast market. Your talking cost, that might not even factor for the other guy.

Not everyone is going to buy the C6 corvette just because its a half car faster the the Ferrari 360 in the quarter-mile. They still don't mind paying the extra $70k, even when they could gave bought 2 Corvettes and saved $20k.

I miss the point. We are here to share opinions, not slander. If you call someone stupid because you have a different opinion, that just makes you a butt wipe. What if the guys wants the hottest chip he can buy and has so much money he can light his cigar with that chip, buy a time machine to go to to the future when they can repair the cancer he got and do over again. There are people that aren't concerned about money at all. When they go out and look at the price tag and go, "That one looks nice!". Not everyone needs to penny pinch, hence the enthusiast market like Zonda's and Bugatti's. It's the differences in life style that change opinion. My friend makes twice what I do, but spent half the money on his system compared to mine. The performance:cost ratio is negligible. To him its adequate. For me I still want to drop $2-3k on top of the $4k I spent just for 2 more monitors, 2 GPUs, custom water loop, sound, raid card, more storage, etc.

I don't think so, there are areas where opinions can differ - one can choose to go with a 4820K or a 4770K and still reasonably back up each option. One can choose to go with an i7 instead of an i5 and back up that decision. One can go with a 780 Ti instead of a 780 and back up that decision. 

Going from an i5 to an i7 will benefit some applications. Going from a 780 to a 780 Ti will give you 10% extra FPS or so in games. Getting a Titan is also not stupid because some people need the double precision floating point operations. 

What is stupid, however, is spending money just for the sake of spending money. That's why this concept of "e-peen" exists, it is to describe people who buy stupidly expensive hardware just to be able to say that they have the best, which is honestly stupid. Sure, if the 4960X actually had a performance difference, then I would understand, but it just simply doesn't. It's not like buying a Ferrari or a Corvette. If a 4930K is a Corvette, then buying a 4960X is like buying that same Corvette and paying double the price for it just to have a sticker that says it is an "Extreme Edition" on the outside. 

So someone buying a 4960X would be stupid, even if the small amount of extra power would save them the cost of the cpu every month?

Except there is no extra power. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I don't think so, there are areas where opinions can differ - one can choose to go with a 4820K or a 4770K and still reasonably back up each option. One can choose to go with an i7 instead of an i5 and back up that decision. One can go with a 780 Ti instead of a 780 and back up that decision. 

Going from an i5 to an i7 will benefit some applications. Going from a 780 to a 780 Ti will give you 10% extra FPS or so in games. Getting a Titan is also not stupid because some people need the double precision floating point operations. 

What is stupid, however, is spending money just for the sake of spending money. That's why this concept of "e-peen" exists, it is to describe people who buy stupidly expensive hardware just to be able to say that they have the best, which is honestly stupid. Sure, if the 4960X actually had a performance difference, then I would understand, but it just simply doesn't. It's not like buying a Ferrari or a Corvette. If a 4930K is a Corvette, then buying a 4960X is like buying that same Corvette and paying double the price for it just to have a sticker that says it is an "Extreme Edition" on the outside. 

Except there is no extra power. 

You miss the point again. You should not slander someone at all. Stop writing on my thread if that is how you want to treat people. Your advice will no longer be welcome. All I'm saying is you can disagree without calling someones opinion stupid. If you can't understand the difference, then your a hypocrite. If you can't agree on this, leave this thread to my build, and start a thread on this topic elsewhere.

Oh, I forgot the picture of the monitor box. If anyone wants to see it before I put it away let me know. As for the parts. I'm going to do those over later. I'm also going to do a short overview video in YouTube later.

Hello Everyone!,

I'm going to start this build log with a description and move along from there!

I appreciate any feedback (agree or disagree), just keep it adult, polite, and a friendly discussion.

First off, this is my first PC build. I got into PC gaming about 1-2 years ago without knowing much. That's why I went out and bought me a Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop. Still an awesome machine (with Intel Core I7 with 2.3Ghz/Intelboost@3.3, 16Gb ram, GTX675m, and beautiful Samsung 17" screen), but I wanted to build my own. Not only build my own, but as nice as a noob could think of, watching Youtube and making my own biased decisions.

With all that said, let's break it down!

Case: Corsair 900D
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
CPU: Intel 4th Gen. Haswell Core I7 4770k
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8 @ 2400
GPU: Asus GTX780ti (reference model being that the digi+ model is not out yet)
Cooling: Corsair H100i (with 4 SP PWM fans is push/pull), 3x Noctua PWM 120mm intake fans and 1x Noctua 140mm 3pin exhaust fan
Storage: Sandisk (non-consumer) 256Gb SDD, 750Gb Hitachi HDD (pulled out of my laptop when replaced with 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which I plan on moving into this build)
Sound: Razer Tiamat 7.1 gaming headset
Acc.: Asus Blu-ray Writer, Rosewill multimedia drive bay, handy USB 3.0 flash drive, Articsilver 5 and cleaners, plenty of air in a can,

I'm going to get some pics up soon, some gameplay data/footage, and what it took ordering all this (which ended up being a huge pain in my ass)!

Sweet build! :D

dat cable management tho...

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Sweet build! :D

dat cable management tho...

I know, but as a stated before.

I still think that the 900D looks pretty sweet even not filled up! Good build!

CPU-Intel Core i7-6700k  Motherboard-Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151  

GPU-MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB  Ram-16GB HyperX Fury Black DDR4-2133  Case-Corsair 250D Black  

Displays-Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX (1920x1200) & Samsung 4k TV 

PSU-Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold   Cooling-Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid Cooler   

Keyboard-Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Brown   Mouse-Razer Naga 2012     Sound-Sennheiser HD 650

I still think that the 900D looks pretty sweet even not filled up! Good build!

Totally agree. I bought the case because that's what I liked. Functionality was just a perk. Although I do plan on filling it.

You can overclock away that difference though, that is merely due to a difference in clock speed, they are the same chip. 

You miss the point again. You should not slander someone at all. Stop writing on my thread if that is how you want to treat people. Your advice will no longer be welcome. All I'm saying is you can disagree without calling someones opinion stupid. If you can't understand the difference, then your a hypocrite. If you can't agree on this, leave this thread to my build, and start a thread on this topic elsewhere.

I actually didn't slander anyone, all I said is that there are decisions which can be classified as stupid. I actually never called anyone stupid.

You can overclock away that difference though, that is merely due to a difference in clock speed, they are the same chip. 

They are not identical, the 4960X has a larger cache.

Are you suggesting the 4960X won't overclock? Besides you cannot guarantee that every purchaser of a 4930K will be able to overclock to outperform every 4960X.

I'm not trying to suggest that a 4960X is always or even mostly a good purchase decision. I simply intensely dislike the promulgation of incorrect data what I consider misguided opinion.

They are not identical, the 4960X has a larger cache.

Are you suggesting the 4960X won't overclock? Besides you cannot guarantee that every purchaser of a 4930K will be able to overclock to outperform every 4960X.

I'm not trying to suggest that a 4960X is always or even mostly a good purchase decision. I simply intensely dislike the promulgation of incorrect data what I consider misguided opinion.

Yes, let's say that you are right and that the 4960X does overclock slightly better than a 4930K too, I still have no idea why anyone would want to buy a 4960X given that they are almost double the price of a 4930K. 

Either way, I'm not the only person who has this belief, @LinusTech essentially said this in his thread about his own personal rig. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 3970X - This was a sample. There is no way I would spend $1000 on a CPU that performs marginally better than one that costs hundreds of dollars less.

Also, if you watch Linus' videos, namely the Edzel's rig upgrade one, he does talk about how there is no difference between a 3930K and the 3960X, same can be said for the 4930K and 4960X. 

So I don't know, if you're saying that there is such a big difference that in some cases a 4960X might be a good purchasing decision, what might those situations be? I can't think of any. 

. . .

So I don't know, if you're saying that there is such a big difference that in some cases a 4960X might be a good purchasing decision, what might those situations be? I can't think of any. 

Well I did say it several posts ago. There is a small difference in performance. I've never claimed any differently and to suggest that is disingenuous. If such a difference means a professional can produce even a few extra minutes a day of product, in a reasonably short period of time the cpu will have paid the for itself.

Well I did say it several posts ago. There is a small difference in performance. I've never claimed any differently and to suggest that is disingenuous. If such a difference means a professional can produce even a few extra minutes a day of product, in a reasonably short period of time the cpu will have paid the for itself.

Yes, but given that there is such a price hike, two 4930Ks is pretty much the same price as a 4960X, you might as well build a discrete render box with another 4930K. 

Yes, but given that there is such a price hike, two 4930Ks is pretty much the same price as a 4960X, you might as well build a discrete render box with another 4930K. 

Following that logic why not a farm of 4430?

Ok......Long awaited. Note the wiring is in mock-up and all parts are going to be removed soon. I've changed things since then and will put newer pics up

One of the radiator fans is the wrong way!!!

One of the radiator fans is the wrong way!!!

Push / Pull :)

Push / Pull :)

I have never seen it in that config