Convince me I don't need a XPS 15

I see that the Dell XPS 15 is on sale. After looking into the 2018 model, I guess it's going to be a 2 in 1 with hybrid intel/amd processing and graphics. (Using a mobile version of vega?)

The current XPS 15 is not a 2 in 1, but has a dedicated 1050Ti. My first thought is, will the 1050Ti still be technically "better" than the vega M?

Use case for the laptop would be light gaming, (No new AAA titles) and music production using a DAW. I don't mind messing around with GIMP for photo editing, and the big kicker between waiting for the new 2-1 compared to the current one on sale is I feel I could put the tablet mode into good use with a stylus for drawing?

It is tax return season, and I'll have some extra money to put towards something nice... but convince me why I shouldn't get a XPS 15. (Either the current 2017 version or wait for 2018 model)

Thanks!

You dont need it

Reason: I told you so.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Ask yourself this question, why do you feel like you should change your laptop? If you can come up with a decent reason or two then by all means, go ahead but if you can't then I'm sure you have the self-control to not buy it ;)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You dont need it

Reason: I told you so.

It would be more money towards car parts.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ask yourself this question, why do you feel like you should change your laptop? If you can come up with a decent reason or two then by all means, go ahead but if you can't then I'm sure you have the self-control to not buy it ;)

My current laptop I bought off amazon for ~200 and swapped a SSD in it to make it seem like a better laptop than it is. That's already 2-3 years old.

The main reason I wouldn't mind the XPS lineup is I've read good things about the 4k touch display and the fact it has a dedicated GPU (at least in the 2017 model), it would still allow me to play some games and do photo editing more smoothly.

I'm more or less curious if there are any better alternatives, or I could say screw it, no need for a laptop when you have a desktop but my desktop is by no means "portable".

It's great, do get it :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

It's great, do get it :P

Very helpful! I don't sense sarcasm at all!!

Unless you aren't being sarcastic... then would you recommend the current 2017 model (on sale for the next few days), or wait for the 2018 one? Or are there other laptops that are similar but potentially better?

Just now, NinJake said:

Very helpful! I don't sense sarcasm at all!!

Unless you aren't being sarcastic... then would you recommend the current 2017 model (on sale for the next few days), or wait for the 2018 one? Or are there other laptops that are similar but potentially better?

Depends if you think your time is worth a slightly better cpu.

Take a look at benchmarks of the XPS13 to see how different the 8000 cpus are from the 7000s.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Depends if you think your time is worth a slightly better cpu.

Take a look at benchmarks of the XPS13 to see how different the 8000 cpus are from the 7000s.

I'll double check, but to my knowledge of what I've read so far... the current 2017 XPS15 has the 1050Ti, whereas the 2018 will have some sort of integrated Intel chip WITH a mobile vega card? As for the cpu in general, my current laptop is a very weak i3. So a 7th gen i7 or 8th gen i7 will be a huge upgrade in raw processing power.

AMD chips are out of my current understanding of their power, especially Vega.

tldr; Is it possible that the 2018 XPS15 graphics processor will be slightly less powerful than the 2017 XPS15?

13 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I'll double check, but to my knowledge of what I've read so far... the current 2017 XPS15 has the 1050Ti, whereas the 2018 will have some sort of integrated Intel chip WITH a mobile vega card? As for the cpu in general, my current laptop is a very weak i3. So a 7th gen i7 or 8th gen i7 will be a huge upgrade in raw processing power.

AMD chips are out of my current understanding of their power, especially Vega.

tldr; Is it possible that the 2018 XPS15 graphics processor will be slightly less powerful than the 2017 XPS15?

99% sure that it will be better, very rare that a company downgrades performance.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You don't need it because it isn't food, water, or shelter.

-gif-

Little do you know I need none of those and feast off recycled mainboards!

3 hours ago, NinJake said:

I see that the Dell XPS 15 is on sale. After looking into the 2018 model, I guess it's going to be a 2 in 1 with hybrid intel/amd processing and graphics. (Using a mobile version of vega?)

The current XPS 15 is not a 2 in 1, but has a dedicated 1050Ti. My first thought is, will the 1050Ti still be technically "better" than the vega M?

Use case for the laptop would be light gaming, (No new AAA titles) and music production using a DAW. I don't mind messing around with GIMP for photo editing, and the big kicker between waiting for the new 2-1 compared to the current one on sale is I feel I could put the tablet mode into good use with a stylus for drawing?

It is tax return season, and I'll have some extra money to put towards something nice... but convince me why I shouldn't get a XPS 15. (Either the current 2017 version or wait for 2018 model)

Thanks!

Convince me I don't need a XPS 15!?may be with hypnotism :D

have a look at this

4651381_orig.gif

you don't need a XPS :D

Spoiler

You can choose not to get XPS 15 because it's expensive. Yoga 720 15 is a good alternative for the less price.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I would say you don't need it but it's my dream laptop, packing a powerhouse into a small and sleek chassis that you can easily lug around.

I have the 7567 Gaming, and it has the 1050ti (I think XPS is 1050 max) and lighter weight would be awesome.

One day I will have an excuse to pay the XPS premium

That's an F in the profile pic