Ryzen 3rd gen/Zen 2 leak.... From Global Foundries?

BluJay614

https://segmentnext.com/2018/03/07/amd-ryzen-3000-series-cpus/

Okay, so, I understand these numbers are coming really early, so I would advise taking this with a grain of salt as information can easily change.

AMD Ryzen 2000 series is around the corner and we have been getting some leaks regarding the upcoming lineup. You can check out details regarding that here. We also got some leaks concerning the 2700X as well as the 2600 which feature the same number of cores and threads but higher clock speeds. Now we are getting word that the AMD Ryzen 3000 series will hit 5 GHz using the 7 nm process.

Okay, so establishing that there are leaks concerning the rapidly approaching second gen Ryzen chips, and we know that third gen will be working with a new microarchitecture dubbed Zen 2. Rumors have Ryzen 2 topping at 4.35GHz.... But jumping from that to 5GHz?

The first generation AMD Ryzen die was 213 mm2 large and according to expectations, AMD Ryzen 3000 series die will be 100 mm2. This will reduce the cost of production and will also provide the potential of increased core and thread count, which is something where AMD has the edge. A 5 GHz clock speed translates into 40% better performance which is very realistic and doable.

Okay, so we are looking at a die size being less then half of what it was in the first gen. The reduced cost in materials could be counteracted by lower yields and greater difficulty in production due to such a drastic reduction in size, especially if you are cramming more into a much smaller space.

As for an increase of 650MHz between generations, and how a 40% difference in performance being realistic and doable..... I may need someone to explain that one too me.

While this is something to keep an eye out for, you need to know that the AMD Ryzen 3000 series will not be coming out before early 2019. These are expected numbers so take this information with a grain of salt. AMD has delivered more then the expected performance in the past, at least when it comes to CPUs. Keeping that in mind it is possible that the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series CPUs could provide better performance then just 40%.

Yet again, restating information that is well known, provided AMD sticks to their schedule. Also, as these are "expected" numbers coming from GF, we can definitely take this with a grain of salt..... But hey, at least it's not WCCFTech.

AMD may have given better performance then expected in the past, first gen Ryzen was a bit of a disappointment when it came to 1080p gaming for a lot of people. I'm skeptical that they will reach the 40% increase, and even more so for past that. It would be awesome to see, but I'm skeptical. FYI, I'm much more of an AMD fan then an Intel fan. Will still recommend and use Intel, provided it's for the right reasons and workload though.

If the AMD Ryzen 3000 series CPUs are coming out in 2019 then this means that they will most likely be based on the AM4 socket. This is great news for people that are not willing to change their motherboard with each new generation of CPUs. We have seen AM4 motherboard compatibility and it is very impressive. It is safe to say that the compatibility is one of the main selling points of the AMD Ryzen platform.

IF it does come out in 2019, then it will be on the AM4 socket, as AMD has stated that it will be supported threw 2020. This is great news for people for those who would want to upgrade and keep their motherboards, as it would mean all they would have to do is swap out the CPU. I would beg to differ on it's compatibility, especially on the topic of RAM. I would argue that it's upgrade path is one of the main selling points of the AMD Ryzen platform.

The rest of the article is just saing to stay turned for more news.

I do apologize to those that it bothers that some of the quoted text doesn't directly match up, as for whatever reason, this computer wouldn't let me copy and paste from segmentnext so I had to manually type it all.

Global foundries didn't say ryzen would hit 5ghz on 7nm. Just that 5ghz clocks could be possible on 7nm, with no mention of ryzen or even amd lol. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Global foundries didn't say ryzen would hit 5ghz on 7nm. Just that 5ghz clocks could be possible on 7nm, with no mention of ryzen or even amd lol. 

Again, grain of salt, and I'm skeptical that they will hit it. However, that is what the original article was claiming.

2 hours ago, BluJay614 said:

Again, grain of salt, and I'm skeptical that they will hit it. However, that is what the original article was claiming.

Well given the leaked clocks on ryzen+ using 12nm compared to the first gens on 14nm, I think(hope) it could be possible. 

Not from stock, but certainly from OC's. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Well given the leaked clocks on ryzen+ using 10nm compared to the first gens on 12nm, I think(hope) it could be possible. 

I would have to agree with you. It is possible, and I hope it does happen. HOWEVER, I do know that the probability of it happening is extremely low.

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Well given the leaked clocks on ryzen+ using 10nm compared to the first gens on 12nm, I think(hope) it could be possible. 

Not from stock, but certainly from OC's. 

1st gen is 14 nm and ryzen+ is 12 nm

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

1st gen is 14 nm and ryzen+ is 12 nm

My mistake :P thought it was already at 12 for amd lol. 

34 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

https://segmentnext.com/2018/03/07/amd-ryzen-3000-series-cpus/

Okay, so, I understand these numbers are coming really early, so I would advise taking this with a grain of salt as information can easily change.

Okay, so establishing that there are leaks concerning the rapidly approaching second gen Ryzen chips, and we know that third gen will be working with a new microarchitecture dubbed Zen 2. Rumors have Ryzen 2 topping at 4.35GHz.... But jumping from that to 5GHz?

Okay, so we are looking at a die size being less then half of what it was in the first gen. The reduced cost in materials could be counteracted by lower yields and greater difficulty in production due to such a drastic reduction in size, especially if you are cramming more into a much smaller space.

As for an increase of 650MHz between generations, and how a 40% difference in performance being realistic and doable..... I may need someone to explain that one too me.

Yet again, restating information that is well known, provided AMD sticks to their schedule. Also, as these are "expected" numbers coming from GF, we can definitely take this with a grain of salt..... But hey, at least it's not WCCFTech.

AMD may have given better performance then expected in the past, first gen Ryzen was a bit of a disappointment when it came to 1080p gaming for a lot of people. I'm skeptical that they will reach the 40% increase, and even more so for past that. It would be awesome to see, but I'm skeptical. FYI, I'm much more of an AMD fan then an Intel fan. Will still recommend and use Intel, provided it's for the right reasons and workload though.

IF it does come out in 2019, then it will be on the AM4 socket, as AMD has stated that it will be supported threw 2020. This is great news for people for those who would want to upgrade and keep their motherboards, as it would mean all they would have to do is swap out the CPU. I would beg to differ on it's compatibility, especially on the topic of RAM. I would argue that it's upgrade path is one of the main selling points of the AMD Ryzen platform.

The rest of the article is just saing to stay turned for more news.

I do apologize to those that it bothers that some of the quoted text doesn't directly match up, as for whatever reason, this computer wouldn't let me copy and paste from segmentnext so I had to manually type it all.

So from all the information I have seen.. the only speed increases we are currently seeing is from the die shrink. It looks like the turbo boost on these will increase by about 200 mhz across the board. The IPC on these seems to be pretty much the same as 1st gen and the overclocking headroom is about the same (so to say non-existent on say a 2800x)

Now the increase clocks will add up on an 8 core machine.. so this will help close some of the ST gap, while also boosting the multi-thread performance by probably 10-15% over gen 1. The problem is that just throwing more speed at it will not help them catch intel... they are going to need to get IPC improvements moving a long or else fall back into the issues they had last gen.

Intel is making strides on both IPC and clocks which is helping them pull ahead. Which is why the 8700k blows the 1800x out of the water in single thread, while also being within a few % of it in mutl-threaded applications even though it has 2 less cores. Intel is making stronger cores, vs tossing on more cores and reducing prices.

For a gaming perspective the 8700k is miles ahead of anything amd has out atm. For multi-threading it is very competitive and once you toss an overclock on it... then it wins in both multi-thread and single thread performance... where as the 1800x basically has no OC headroom outside of what it gets with turbo boost and XFR.

7nm lp promises 40% better perf than 14nm . I sure hope that amd can hit 5ghz ...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

that entire article is a load of bullshit

"... it is possible that the upcoming AMD Ryzen 3000 series CPUs could provide better performance than just 40%"

How about NO?

The upcoming series 2000 will barely provide 5% improvements and 2-300 mhz clocks, the 7nm parts at best i would expect 15% IPC and 400mhz higher clocks or same clocks as ryzen+ and 10-12 cores.

2 minutes ago, yian88 said:

ryzen+ and 10-12 cores.

And thats where the 40% increase in performance comes from....synthetics, yes, real world, no.  

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

Intel is making strides on both IPC

No, no they're not. There is no difference in IPC between Sky, Kaby, and Coffee, and maybe what, 5% between Sky and Broadwell.

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

No, no they're not. There is no difference in IPC between Sky, Kaby, and Coffee, and maybe what, 5% between Sky and Broadwell.

Cannonlake should be the next IPC push. Skylake was an ipc push, kabylake was a higher frequency refresh, coffee was a core count increase. Cannon should see IPC increases.

4 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Most of the IPC improvements are about 5% over the last IPC gains. If you understood what goes on under the hood for these gains, then you would see why they aren't massive. That is to say unless you had terrible IPC on an older architecture like AMD and moved to a much more improved and efficient one.

Well, it's probably 5+ GHz for IBM processors. That's what IBM wants and they'll have to deliver. 

AMD should be hitting higher frequencies too but they're two very different designs and AMD can't afford power spikes. They're supposedly upping TDP by 10W to hit 4.35 instead of 4.25 for Pinnacle Ridge so that should tell you something. 

Otherwise it's just ITT: speculation and assumptions.

Way too early indeed and therefore:

Truck-for-header-of-bulk-page-1.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, CTR640 said:

Way too early indeed and therefore:

Truck-for-header-of-bulk-page-1.jpg

If that's what it is like it is, what would it be if this was from WCCFTech?

3 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

If that's what it is like it is, what would it be if this was from WCCFTech?

THIS MANY SALT!

1024px-Heringen_-_Monte_Kali.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I just want a Ryzen 2 itx board to toss my 1600 into. Freaking took ages for itx boards to come out after the Ryzen 1st Gen.

4 hours ago, yian88 said:

that entire article is a load of bullshit

"... it is possible that the upcoming AMD Ryzen 3000 series CPUs could provide better performance than just 40%"

How about NO?

The upcoming series 2000 will barely provide 5% improvements and 2-300 mhz clocks, the 7nm parts at best i would expect 15% IPC and 400mhz higher clocks or same clocks as ryzen+ and 10-12 cores.

Then again
Ryzen and Ryzen + are both based on Summit Ridge
Ryzen 2 is not Summit Ridge, it's the next update along with arch changes
Ryzen 3 will build on Ryzen 2, therefore there is a chance for that kind of performance increase.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Yes the 7nm node will be quite a jump and improvement. So seeing much higher clocks for Ryzen would be amazing. 5Ghz Ryzen OC would be sweet. It really would be awesome to have clocks like previous FX once again.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

41 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yes the 7nm node will be quite a jump and improvement. So seeing much higher clocks for Ryzen would be amazing. 5Ghz Ryzen OC would be sweet. It really would be awesome to have clocks like previous FX once again.

Well, to have the clocks without the crap performance.

God I wish I'd gone with Ryzen instead of a 7700k.

Don't get me wrong, it works. It's temps are terrible (still need to delid), but still. I cannot upgrade from here without buying a new board.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs