Try and fix handwriting or try to learn with left hand?

Macboi
Go to solution Solved by divito,

Mine is actually similar to techswede's sample, if even a little worse, as far as readability goes. This will also depend on whether I'm writing quickly for notes or actually trying to write well.

I don't think yours is all that bad; while it has a childlike quality, it's perfectly readable. If you want to improve on it, simply take your time when you write. I think in situations where you're writing fast, there's not a lot of hope in changing your habits for the style; but in situations where you have time, it's certainly possible to slowly train yourself for better quality.

For me, I've given up long ago on fixing my chicken scratch. But then again I'm old.

Hello people of the internet! 

I am quite aware that this is a community of computer people and therfore this probably isn't a great place to be asking such questions, but I shall do it anyway. 

My handwriting with my right hand is very bad and often impedes on the ability of others (and occasionally myself) to read it.  I would like to fix this problem, but I'm not sure whether I should try and improve the handwriting of my right hand, or just learn with my left so I don't have to deal with correcting many years of poor writing. Has anybody here dealt with  anything similar or learned to write with their other hand? 

I do already have fairly strong left hand muscles as I am a cellist... but they are probably ones not used in writing. 

15201363755731220147161.thumb.jpg.e0de1e4bab50b80d0caedde8f29b0720.jpg

A sample of my current handwriting. 

Core i5-6600k OCed to 4.7GHz@1.325V | Hyper 212 Evo | ASUS GTX 1070 Strix ASUS z170-AR MOBO | 16GB DDR4@2400MHz | 500GB 850 EVO SSD | 1TB WD HDD | EVGA 650W G2 PSU | HyperX Cloud II Headset | Corsair K65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair STRAFE Brown Keyswitch Mechanical Keyboard |

Spoiler

Legend says, RGB makes your pc 15% faster.

1 hour ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Your handwriting is fine.

If you say so... 

Core i5-6600k OCed to 4.7GHz@1.325V | Hyper 212 Evo | ASUS GTX 1070 Strix ASUS z170-AR MOBO | 16GB DDR4@2400MHz | 500GB 850 EVO SSD | 1TB WD HDD | EVGA 650W G2 PSU | HyperX Cloud II Headset | Corsair K65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair STRAFE Brown Keyswitch Mechanical Keyboard |

Spoiler

That's easily readable. My handwriting is worse from a readability standpoint
rDdVrKF.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Mine is actually similar to techswede's sample, if even a little worse, as far as readability goes. This will also depend on whether I'm writing quickly for notes or actually trying to write well.

I don't think yours is all that bad; while it has a childlike quality, it's perfectly readable. If you want to improve on it, simply take your time when you write. I think in situations where you're writing fast, there's not a lot of hope in changing your habits for the style; but in situations where you have time, it's certainly possible to slowly train yourself for better quality.

For me, I've given up long ago on fixing my chicken scratch. But then again I'm old.

10 hours ago, techswede said:

That's easily readable. My handwriting is worse from a readability standpoint
rDdVrKF.jpg

I appriciate the advice lol

Spoiler

7 hours ago, divito said:

Okay, definitely going to start dedicating some time to improving it as I would like to fix my handwriting while I am still fairly young.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Macboi said:

Okay, definitely going to start dedicating some time to improving it as I would like to fix my handwriting while I am still fairly young.

My handwriting is very similar to yours but I found out that when I use my drawing tablet with pen, I write a LOT nicer for some reason... also faster.

If you write with your right hand, keep doing so.  Don't learn to write with the left. 

While there isn't a conclusive study yet, there are plenty of accounts of left-handed people being forced to write with their right hand and having all kinds of trouble which are most likely related to how messed up your brain becomes if you force yourself to write with your other hand. 

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/being-lh/children/changing-left-to-right.html

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

If you write with your right hand, keep doing so.  Don't learn to write with the left. 

While there isn't a conclusive study yet, there are plenty of accounts of left-handed people being forced to write with their right hand and having all kinds of trouble which are most likely related to how messed up your brain becomes if you force yourself to write with your other hand. 

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/being-lh/children/changing-left-to-right.html

Yup. I knew a belgian dude who was forced to write with his right hand. Damn, his writing was even worse. Completely unreadable. Glad they don't force children anymore.

On 04/03/2018 at 5:08 AM, Macboi said:

or just learn with my left so I don't have to deal with correcting many years of poor writing. Has anybody here dealt with  anything similar or learned to write with their other hand? 

You can learn to write with the left, sure, some people do that for the fun and are capable of writing with both hands. I just recommend to not bother, unless you really want to.

one thing that works for me is using a sharper pencil provided that i am not already using a mechanical one

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 3/5/2018 at 10:05 AM, Shreyas1 said:

one thing that works for me is using a sharper pencil provided that i am not already using a mechanical one

I prefer to use a mech pencil as sharpening pencils is a pain and I can go 6 months or so without loosing it/having it break.

Spoiler

On 3/5/2018 at 9:56 AM, The Viking said:

Yup. I knew a belgian dude who was forced to write with his right hand. Damn, his writing was even worse. Completely unreadable. Glad they don't force children anymore.

You can learn to write with the left, sure, some people do that for the fun and are capable of writing with both hands. I just recommend to not bother, unless you really want to.

I think that I will first work on improving with my right but definitely keep learning with my left on the to do list because it sounds like a really neat skill to have.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Practice makes perfect, just practice everyday and try to correct the issue at hand.

nice pun

Spoiler

It's not even in cursive. The letters are well shaped enough that no one should have issues reading it after looking at it for a second.

Especially when compared to @techswede , but even his is readable when you actually try.

If anyone has trouble reading it, they are obviously not even trying to use their brain at all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro