Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I like them because I wouldn't have to stick something to my dash for gps or weather reports.. but aside from that I would miss being able to use something from muscle memory.

Yup.

It's called a map. And look out the window.. xD sorry I couldn't resist..

I agree with everything except  4, 5, and 8.

4. I honestly can't drive a car without creature comforts. I just can't. It's gotta have A/C, radio, cruise, and power steering (though it's gotta be hydraulic, not electric)

5. I honestly like keys like the MS6 where you can leave it in your pocket to unlock everything but you still have a knob to actually start the car, not a button. i quite like it.

8. The steering wheels of times past to me are just too plain. i like a bit of complexity in a steering wheel.

like @AlwaysFSX said, simple doesn't mean lacking creature comforts.  I don't like having to go down a tree of 37 sub menu's to adjust the heater...  I absolutely despise touch screens.  you have to take your eyes off the road to do anything...  and then you hit a bump and miss what you wanted to press and then you pressed something else, then you gotta figure out what it was, undo that, undo that again cause you pressed the wrong thing again, then go back and finally do what you wanted in the first place... and hope you havent crashed by then or ran over an old lady crossing the street with her kittens.  with a few buttons and knobs you can do whatever you need with feel.  and volume control should always always be a knob, buttons for volume are stupid (on everything, not just cars. the biggest factor in me getting a corsair k70 was the rotary volume).

I like simple key's because I get remote start installed in every car I own.  thats much more convenient for me than not taking my key out of my pocket.  not to mention I don't like having stuff in my pockets, and having a normal key gives you a nice convenient slot to put your key in while driving and then not forget them in the cup holder and put a cup of coffee on them and then have the coffee spill on me and all over my car...

steering wheels I can go back and forth on... its really on an individual basis, but overall I'd say most newer ones are better, mostly because they figured out how to make small airbags

1 Pop up lights

2 Thin A pillars

3 Manual gearboxes

6 T-Tops

7 Being able to fix your own car

8 Lighter weight

10 Full size spare

11 Rust (Joke entry)

and just for fun, to comment on the rest

pop up headlights are give and take, some look cool (NSX  :wub: ), but lets face it, most of them look stupid

I love thing A pillars.  but its kinda nice not to die in a roll over...

Manual gearboxes are great and all, but good flappy paddle gear boxes open up performance driving to a whole new group of enthusiasts.  I'm not talking about the ones that are too lazy to learn how to drive, people that suffer from disabilities.  My dad shattered his elbow and messed up his shoulder in a work place accident.  after a few minutes of driving a manual his shoulder is killing him.  with flappy paddles thats not an issue at all.  other people have issues with their knee's making heel'n'toe downshifts impossible, paddles fix this also.  Love the theft deterrent in 'merica poke though :D 

t-tops are replaced by folding hardtops.  real enthusiasts get hardtops anyway.  except for s2k's and miata's... and '66 Lincoln Continental Coupes...  and any other cool cars that came in convertible only

fix your own car... yes, its nice not being charged $300 for an oil change

weight is a huge one. why do all cars have to be 4000 lb and have 19" wheels???

full size spare? really? most old cars have donuts also...  they were reaching with this one

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

It's called a map. And look out the window.. xD sorry I couldn't resist..

I know, I use maps more often than GPS. :P

its not necessarily all that great... sure the instant low rpm torque is good for initiating, but during the actual drift you're mostly in the top end of the rev range. I guess you can gear it to keep it in the torque rich part of the power band, but then you'd be shifting a lot, not really something you really wanna do.

Once traction is broken, you don't need much to keep the drift going. The very wide powerband ensures that not much shifting would be needed. Many electrics don't even have a transmission.

Big fat touch screens... *shurgs*

That's truly one thing I hate about newer cars. I like being able to know what I'm doing without having to look at it.

tumblr_inline_ni4tyls51V1qgppkx.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Once traction is broken, you don't need much to keep the drift going. The very wide powerband ensures that not much shifting would be needed. Many electrics don't even have a transmission.

maybe for a drift around the empty parking lot, sure... for pro level drifting, you need lots of power.  if it was all about initiation they'd still be drifting 2-300 hp cars and initiating with clutch kicks and ebrakes...   for a pro level electric drift car you would absolutely need a transmission to keep it on peak power

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

You sir get a cookie.. I was waiting for someone to bring up the lack of a trans in MOST electric cars..

I agree with everything but numero uno.

I love pop up headlights

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

:wacko: Engine, k-member, coil over kit, sub frame connectors, control pack, accessory kit, pedal bracket.

$12k.

:wacko: Engine, k-member, coil over kit, sub frame connectors, control pack, accessory kit, pedal bracket.

$12k.

This hobby isn't cheap  :(

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

This hobby isn't cheap  :(

Still cheaper than a new car, and I'm happy with that. I think there's about $6k worth of interior and exterior things to get it "like new" too. Ignoring that for the most part until all the mechanical stuff is figured out and found.

Hit another goldmine of info. Won't have to do my own fuel system, I think. If this damn page would load.

maybe for a drift around the empty parking lot, sure... for pro level drifting, you need lots of power.  if it was all about initiation they'd still be drifting 2-300 hp cars and initiating with clutch kicks and ebrakes...   for a pro level electric drift car you would absolutely need a transmission to keep it on peak power

Electrics have a very flat powerband. Torque falls off with higher revs, which gives a flat power curve. Dyno results for Teslas show that they are within 80% of the peak output anywhere between about 29 MPH until the speed limiter is hit (155 MPH or 130 MPH depending on the model).

https://youtu.be/JOXDsUCZfgg

Had no idea who Richard Rawlings was till Roadkill called him out... And I already hate her him.

System: Thinkpad T460

Had no idea who Richard Rawlings was till Roadkill called him out... And I already hate her him.

i honestly love richard rawlings. his crew of mechanics make some of the most badass cars ever. and he even managed to restore a totaled ferrari F40 and check this, paint it black just to piss off the purists lol

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i honestly love richard rawlings. his crew of mechanics make some of the most badass cars ever. and he even managed to restore a totaled ferrari F40 and check this, paint it black just to piss off the purists lol

I love that reasoning! :D

Tallied up everything except tools, car, exhaust, and driveshaft.

$16,578 before shipping costs. That I can stomach..sorta.

Richard Rawlings -> crew of mechanics?

Piss off purists? There's sometimes taste on keeping things the way they were designed.

Nothing new.

System: Thinkpad T460

Electrics have a very flat powerband. Torque falls off with higher revs, which gives a flat power curve. Dyno results for Teslas show that they are within 80% of the peak output anywhere between about 29 MPH until the speed limiter is hit (155 MPH or 130 MPH depending on the model).

https://youtu.be/JOXDsUCZfgg

wait wtf this is already a thing? Well then...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A white Monster 1100 just blew right by. It had termignoni exhaust with no db killers. It really gave me an eargasm.

I'm really hoping I could get a bike in the next month or two. Its just going to be a 150cc or less. Its all I could afford but its good enough for 20km of daily commute in a rather congested city. Public transport also sucks and it wastes a lot time.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Anybody else watching the 24h of Spa right now?

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

0071789424.jpg

2900$ "Like new" V6 manual 

Just proof that they are cheap as all hell