Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Oh also we stopped on the way and basically every warning light turned on and it shouted and shit but it started fine afterwards

Didn't see this post until after... That sounds like a faulty sensor or something.. Or a shorted out ground.. (This is a bad sign.. All your dash lights should not turn on at the same time.. It may be a bigger issue than just a battery..)

it was at 7V

Ouch.. Well test it (out of the vehicle) let it sit for a while and test it again and report back ;) this should give you an idea of an easy cheap fix.. Or something more costly and time consuming..

Didn't see this post until after... That sounds like a faulty sensor or something.. Or a shorted out ground.. (This is a bad sign.. All your dash lights should not turn on at the same time.. It may be a bigger issue than just a battery..)

fuck...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

were not that stupid we actually checked that and they also automatically turn off after 5 mins of complete in activity

Hey, you never know. :P

Ouch.. Well test it (out of the vehicle) let it sit for a while and test it again and report back ;) this should give you an idea of an easy cheap fix.. Or something more costly and time consuming..

that was out of the car it was in a really awkward position so we had to remove it before testing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

fuck...

Well like I said just start with the battery it self, while the battery is out take a look around the engine bay for any loose or worn out cables, check the fuses as well.

Well like I said just start with the battery it self, while the battery is out take a look around the engine bay for any loose or worn out cables, check the fuses as well.

I just want a new freaking car at this point...

Builds:

Spoiler

I just want a new freaking car at this point...

What car, model and year is it? I may have a Hayes manual around for it haha

What car, model and year is it? I may have a Hayes manual around for it haha

2005 VW touran the gasoline one

Builds:

Spoiler

2005 VW touran the gasoline one

Damn lol I have a VW bus manual lol [emoji14]

Damn lol I have a VW bus manual lol [emoji14]

that is probably the funniest thing I have read in this thread this far xD

Builds:

Spoiler

that is probably the funniest thing I have read in this thread this far xD

I also have a tracel manual and an original Austin mini manual as well haha nothing newer than 99 :( sorry

Edit tracel spelling.. Fuing auto correct

I also have a travel manual and an original Austin mini manual as well haha nothing newer than 99 :( sorry

oh well thanks for the thought

Builds:

Spoiler

Also If this helps the small screen said "immobilisation mode activated" when all the lights and shit happened that may be of help

Builds:

Spoiler

Probably just bad luck. Normally all Japanese cars are dead reliable. our protege has gone 250k, and many parts on it are original, such as the engine, transmission, clutch, suspension, and a lot of things.

Japanese makers produce a lot of everyday cars. They get their reputation from that. Their mass market cars are generally built to be like appliances (low maintenance during their intended useful life).

Name a Japanese car that isn't reliable then.

Where do I start? Below are examples of ones that are known to have major problems sooner instead of later (most are older vehicles though):

1. DSMs (if you consider them Japanese)

2. Mitsubishi GTO / 3000GT VR4

3. Mitsubishi Starion Turbo

4. Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo

5. Isuzu Bighorn / Trooper 3.0D

6. Toyota Supra MK3 Turbo

Where do I start? Below are ones that are known to have major problems sooner instead of later:

so Japanese cars with turbos are bad basically :P

Builds:

Spoiler

The Stuttgart FSAE team just set a world record for EV 0-60mph time. 1.779 Seconds!

Way to go boys! Reminds me of my FSAE days :(

http://blog.caranddriver.com/swift-swabians-stuttgart-students-set-1-779-second-0-100-kmh-record-video/

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Japanese makers produce a lot of everyday cars. They get their reputation from that. Their mass market cars are generally built to be like appliances (low maintenance during their intended useful life).

Where do I start? Below are ones that are known to have major problems sooner instead of later:

Ummmm I know like 5 people with mkIII supras and they all run great.. The ONE that doesn't is an automatic..

Japan also makes hella good cars as well. They are like any other country who manufactures vehicles... USA with Chevy,Ford,Chrysler,pontiac.. Europe has some for sure like some Alfa Romeos, some BMW.. Japan has hynde (can't even spell it that's how much I hate them), Honda, dihatsu.. Every one has good ones and everyone has shit ones

That being said I have had more luck in terms or reliability with Jap cars than American.. Fucking loved my civic.. 500,000km and still ran great when I sold it.. And it's still going..

so Japanese cars with turbos are bad basically :P

Not all of them. They've made a lot of turbo vehicles. Some of the earlier ones were prone to issues, largely because of poor monitoring and control mechanisms (early European turbo cars often had the same problem).

Anyone ever thought of the drift possibilities of an electric car :P

Builds:

Spoiler

Ummmm I know like 5 people with mkIII supras and they all run great.. The ONE that doesn't is an automatic..

Japan also makes hella good cars as well. They are like any other country who manufactures vehicles... USA with Chevy,Ford,Chrysler,pontiac.. Europe has some for sure like some Alfa Romeos, some BMW.. Japan has hynde (can't even spell it that's how much I hate them), Honda, dihatsu.. Every one has good ones and everyone has shit ones

That being said I have had more luck in terms or reliability with Jap cars than American.. Fucking loved my civic.. 500,000km and still ran great when I sold it.. And it's still going..

Hyundai is from Korea. Korea has Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo (now controlled by GM), Samsung (now controlled by Nissan-Renault) and Ssangyong (now controlled by Mahindra). A lot of the FWD/AWD GM cars are actually from Daewoo. Some of the Renault cars are from Samsung.

The MK3 Turbos are okay if they are driven normally. It is when they are driven hard (or modified) that they fail early (blown head gasket).

Anyone ever thought of the drift possibilities of an electric car [emoji14]

Yea about 5 mins of fun and 12 hours of charging. The same as an RC.. Only scaled up.. Battery's are only as large as is relevant to the vehicle, same with gastanks, smaller engines smaller tanks, larger engines larger tanks, they only supply you with what the vehicle needs.. You don't see many civics with tidy tanks in the trunk do you [emoji14]

Hyundai is from Korea. Korea has Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo (now controlled by GM), Samsung (now controlled by Nissan-Renault) and Ssangyong (now controlled by Mahindra). A lot of the FWD/AWD GM cars are actually from Daewoo. Some of the Renault cars are from Samsung.

The MK3 Turbos are okay if they are driven normally. It is when they are driven hard (or modified) that they fail early (blown head gasket).

Only if you have an idiot building it, you can't just slap a turbo on an NA car with out doing some supporting mods for reliability.. That's like saying k I'm gonna put nos in my carolla with the stock ae86 and it will run fine with no other mods.. The fact is that if you do mods to support the extra HP/KW then your engine will probably run fine. It's always a gamble but if done properly the first time and no corners are cut the engine will most likely be reliable.. The problem with early turbo cars was poor wastegate construction causing too much manifold pressure in turn blowing gaskets..

Anyone ever thought of the drift possibilities of an electric car :P

its not necessarily all that great... sure the instant low rpm torque is good for initiating, but during the actual drift you're mostly in the top end of the rev range.  I guess you can gear it to keep it in the torque rich part of the power band, but then you'd be shifting a lot, not really something you really wanna do.

that and drifting is all about showmanship and noise... electric cars are silent for the most part...  

and drift cars crash a lot, and they can be really bad crashes.  so with the interior stripped out and a roll cage in there, thats a lot of metal to transmit electricity and shock the driver.  with the amount of power required for pro drifting, easily enough to kill the driver.  so you'd have to design a whole new safety system and standards.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

its not necessarily all that great... sure the instant low rpm torque is good for initiating, but during the actual drift you're mostly in the top end of the rev range. I guess you can gear it to keep it in the torque rich part of the power band, but then you'd be shifting a lot, not really something you really wanna do.

that and drifting is all about showmanship and noise... electric cars are silent for the most part...

and drift cars crash a lot, and they can be really bad crashes. so with the interior stripped out and a roll cage in there, thats a lot of metal to transmit electricity and shock the driver. with the amount of power required for pro drifting, easily enough to kill the driver. so you'd have to design a whole new safety system and standards.

the torque is always there in an electric motor it doesn't drop also if that happens to be wrong that's what you have a DCT or CVT transmission for :P

*edit* also the power thing you can just insulate the interior with rubber or something similar

Builds:

Spoiler