Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

its not necessarily all that great... sure the instant low rpm torque is good for initiating, but during the actual drift you're mostly in the top end of the rev range. I guess you can gear it to keep it in the torque rich part of the power band, but then you'd be shifting a lot, not really something you really wanna do.

that and drifting is all about showmanship and noise... electric cars are silent for the most part...

and drift cars crash a lot, and they can be really bad crashes. so with the interior stripped out and a roll cage in there, thats a lot of metal to transmit electricity and shock the driver. with the amount of power required for pro drifting, easily enough to kill the driver. so you'd have to design a whole new safety system and standards.

A galaxy charger can kill you.. Shit even an iPod charger.. It's not Volts that kill its Amps.. It only takes 1 Amp to stop the heart.

A galaxy charger can kill you.. Shit even an iPod charger.. It's not Volts that kill its Amps.. It only takes 1 Amp to stop the heart.

volts aren't pleasant but if there isn't any real amps it's just an unpleasant experience and I the volts get high enough you start to not notice them sort of

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

the torque is always there in an electric motor it doesn't drop also if that happens to be wrong that's what you have a DCT or CVT transmission for [emoji14]

*edit* also the power thing you can just insulate the interior with rubber or something similar

Adding yet more weight to the already heavy battery's and roll cage.. Ultimately lowering the power of the electric motors and amount of run time you get out of the battery's.

Adding yet more weight to the already heavy battery's and roll cage.. Ultimately lowering the power of the electric motors and amount of run time you get out of the battery's.

the rubber doesn't have to be thick and the gearbox doesn't really way any extra

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

volts aren't pleasant but if there isn't any real amps it's just an unpleasant experience and I the volts get high enough you start to not notice them sort of

Oh don't get me wrong Volts suck.. Shit even 12v sucks but it won't kill you.. You gotta be getting up in to the KW range for V to kill you..

Oh don't get me wrong Volts suck.. Shit even 12v sucks but it won't kill you.. You gotta be getting up in to the KW range for V to kill you..

jup that what I said I've had 9V and that shit made me jump, also on a sort of unrelated mater my dad was an electrician and he dealt with cables with several KV in as his daily work :P

Builds:

Spoiler

the torque is always there in an electric motor it doesn't drop also if that happens to be wrong that's what you have a DCT or CVT transmission for :P

*edit* also the power thing you can just insulate the interior with rubber or something similar

that is not the case at all.  electric motors make peak torque at 0 rpm and it falls as the rpm's go up.

CVT tranny would never hold up to the abuse of drifting...  DCT sure, but thats adding a lot of cost

with the amount of power that would be running through that thing, the safety system would have to be a little more thought out than just add some rubber to the interior

you're only making my point here...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

jup that what I said I've had 9V and that shit made me jump, also on a sort of unrelated mater my dad was an electrician and he dealt with cables with several KV in as his daily work [emoji14]

I was an apprentice industrial electrician lol worked on shit pumps and diesel generators and such as well as installing services to new and refurb buildings ;)

that is not the case at all. electric motors make peak torque at 0 rpm and it falls as the rpm's go up.

CVT tranny would never hold up to the abuse of drifting... DCT sure, but thats adding a lot of cost

with the amount of power that would be running through that thing, the safety system would have to be a little more thought out than just add some rubber to the interior

if it's a drift car I don't think money relay is a problem tho and the rubber would probably be enough but more is defiantly something you should have I'm thinking that about one or two centimetres of rubber would be enough or maybe even less than that

Builds:

Spoiler

that is not the case at all. electric motors make peak torque at 0 rpm and it falls as the rpm's go up.

CVT tranny would never hold up to the abuse of drifting... DCT sure, but thats adding a lot of cost

That was the point..?

if it's a drift car I don't think money relay is a problem tho and the rubber would probably be enough but more is defiantly something you should have I'm thinking that about one or two centimetres of rubber would be enough or maybe even less than that

That amount of rubber around the whole interior would weigh over a tonne.. Rubber is heavy b0ss

That amount of rubber around the whole interior would weigh over a tonne.. Rubber is heavy b0ss

yes but there are other insulators than rubber

Builds:

Spoiler

hahahahaha!  money is always a problem.... you know what they say, if you wanna make a small fortune in racing, start with a big fortune...

drifting is probably the lowest budget "pro" racing sport out there, maybe some grass roots rally teams are cheaper.  pro drift teams don't have as much money to blow as you would think

rubber may or may not be enough, like I said, a whole new safety system and standard would have to be developed.  and like was mentioned before, its extra weight, just like batteries are extra weight...  

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

glass is one, you can make sort of light glass that is crash safe as a cadge around the driver, that one idea

Builds:

Spoiler

hahahahaha! money is always a problem.... you know what they say, if you wanna make a small fortune in racing, start with a big fortune...

rubber may or may not be enough, like I said, a whole new safety system and standard would have to be developed. and like was mentioned before, its extra weight, just like batteries are extra weight...

yah but this hypothetical car would probably just be really expensive without any fancy safety or DCT transmission

Builds:

Spoiler

glass is one, you can make sort of light glass that is crash safe as a cadge around the driver, that one idea

glass is a pretty useless insulator in an accident as it would break

yah but this hypothetical car would probably just be really expensive without any fancy safety or DCT transmission

well for hypothetical, it goes back to my original reply on this subject.. good for initiating, but not necessarily great for maintaining due to the way electric motors make power

glass is a pretty useless insulator in an accident as it would break

a good example is plexiglass it takes a beating without breaking but is on the other hand quite heavy bulletproof glass is slightly lighter I think and that's also a good example on ridged glass

Builds:

Spoiler

a good example is plexiglass it takes a beating without breaking but is on the other hand quite heavy bulletproof glass is slightly lighter I think and that's also a good example on ridged glass

you don't want rigid, you want something that can bend and flex without breaking.  if the car is in an impact strong enough to make the cage touch the driver, plexiglass and bullet proof glass isn't gonna stand a chance

well for hypothetical, it goes back to my original reply on this subject.. good for initiating, but not necessarily great for maintaining due to the way electric motors make power

rpm limiting isn't that bad of an idea, just limit the rpm to something quite low but not too low

Builds:

Spoiler

Warm milk is right man there's no torque at the top end of an electric motor that's why gearing is crucial to prevent over heating and burning out the windings, I've burned out plenty of low turn motors trying to take them over rough terrain including a few rather pricey brushless motors.. You would have to have custom wound motors in order to have an equal balance between power and torque. Witch brings us full circle back to gearing..

you don't want rigid, you want something that can bend and flex without breaking. if the car is in an impact strong enough to make the cage touch the driver, plexiglass and bullet proof glass isn't gonna stand a chance

well cover the interior with a slight cote of it then just to prevent electricity from reaching the driver or if it's bendy that's the way to go how about just some heat resistant plastic?

Builds:

Spoiler

Warm milk is right man there's no torque at the top end of an electric motor that's why gearing is crucial to prevent over heating and burning out the windings, I've burned out plenty of low turn motors trying to take them over rough terrain including a few rather pricey brushless motors.. You would have to have custom wound motors in order to have an equal balance between power and torque. Witch brings us full circle back to gearing..

yah this would probably use custom would motors more or less or a really tough CVT transmission

Builds:

Spoiler