Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Also warm milk has a lot of good points and is someone who can take an argument without raging so thanks for that :) you are very nice

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So what's a good brand of winter tires?

most consider Bridgestone Blizzak to be the best.  most winter tire perform close enough to not matter in the snow, what sets them apart is how they perform on dry pavement.  

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

So what's a good brand of winter tires?

Nokian is a pretty good brand

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

most consider Bridgestone Blizzak to be the best.  most winter tire perform close enough to not matter in the snow, what sets them apart is how they perform on dry pavement.  

Uh... how exactly do they differ there?

Nokian is a pretty good brand

Any others you can think of?

sidewall flex is the biggest one for me personally. grip levels vary also.  cheap ones will over heat easily and then the rubber within the tire can move around a bit, putting it in a permanent unbalanced state

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

sidewall flex is the biggest one for me personally. grip levels vary also.  cheap ones will over heat easily and then the rubber within the tire can move around a bit, putting it in a permanent unbalanced state

Well I don't plan on buying cheap tires for obvious reasons, I want some level of control in my driving.

Well I don't plan on buying cheap tires for obvious reasons, I want some level of control in my driving.

how much actual snow driving do you plan on doing? what car is this on? what kinda driver are you?

how much actual snow driving do you plan on doing? what car is this on? what kinda driver are you?

I forget how long Germany has snow. 99-04 Mustang. Cautious?

Also warm milk has a lot of good points and is someone who can take an argument without raging so thanks for that :) you are very nice

EXCUSE ME WTFZOMFGCOPTER I CAN TOO [emoji14]

I rolled on 70$ all seasons and they were fine.. (Managed to get pulled over doing 175 (km) on ice roads.. That was a 400$ fine.. Civic gripped good ;) mind you as soon as you touch the ebrake its drift heaven haha.. The only time I've ever drifted a FWD car was on ice haha (360s are so fun hahah)

Ummmm I would be real careful then.. Rwd is super fun but not so much in winter.. Sure drifting is great.. When you expect it..

I rolled on 70$ all seasons and they were fine.. (Managed to get pulled over doing 175 (km) on ice roads.. That was a 400$ fine.. Civic gripped good ;) mind you as soon as you touch the ebrake its drift heaven haha.. The only time I've ever drifted a FWD car was on ice haha (360s are so fun hahah)

Ummmm I would be real careful then.. Rwd is super fun but not so much in winter.. Sure drifting is great.. When you expect it..

I'm already familiar with how the Mustang drives in snow and ice because I've done it before on not so good tires. :P Though it did have about a quarter the horse power..

Any others you can think of?

Dunlop seems to be alright as well

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Where in Germany?  some rural area or a decently populated area?  most roads will be salted/sanded and plowed, so unless you're actively going out and looking for snowy area's to drive you won't be driving in actual deep snow except for fresh snow falls.  and a Mustang isn't exactly great for snow driving...  I'd prolly get Blizzaks for snow tires.  You should go on tirerack and check out their snow tire tests, they actually do pretty good comprehensive tests on them.  so you can read the results, think about what kind of winter driving you'll be doing and go from there.  If this is your first winter in Germany, maybe talk to some of the locals about what kind of conditions you can expect

How is the German used car market?  If its anything like the UK used car market where you can buy a relatively decent used car for 2-3k.  if you can spare the money for the winter, buy something cheap and fwd (I'd say awd, but that will be more expensive) for the winter that has smallish tires (so cheap winter tires), and then sell it in the spring for most of your money back.  this route might be cheaper than buying a set of snow tires for your Mustang.  If you do go this route, do some research and make sure to buy a car that has already seen 95%+ of its depreciation and make sure you're not buying a car thats gonna need a bunch of work.  Even if its little things, nickle and dime repairs add up.  a decent condition car will also be easier to sell in the spring

I can personally vouch for a 95 civic.. Cheap as tap water to run and cheaper than a months worth of smokes for parts..

New rad cost me 60$.. New 15" steels w/ all seasons for winter (all around) $200..

I beat the absolute piss out of that car and its still running and since been fixed with a parts car.. (Had no bumpers from drifting it in snow, the previous owners dog ate the seatbelts.. Stuff like that)

Barf.. The only thing that gen of camaro is good for is the LS under the bonnet

Precisely. Doesn't need to be pretty. Just cheap and quick

Blegh, I like the blocky gen more than that thing.

Hood*.. :ph34r: but yeah, only their engine was good.

I prefer the blocky ones as well^^

I too kinda actually like it, it has it's ugly parts but it's still nice

Dirt cheap too. With pretty good parts availability

I prefer the blocky ones as well^^

Dirt cheap too. With pretty good parts availability

Your better off buying an 88 rx7 along side the camaros and putting the LS in the RX7..

Your better off buying an 88 rx7 along side the camaros and putting the LS in the RX7..

Not swapping the engine in an FB. I'd like to drive it in near stock condition. (With a spare wankel in the garage for when the seals go pop..)

Maybe Michelin X-Ice tires?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Where in Germany?  some rural area or a decently populated area?  most roads will be salted/sanded and plowed, so unless you're actively going out and looking for snowy area's to drive you won't be driving in actual deep snow except for fresh snow falls.  and a Mustang isn't exactly great for snow driving...  I'd prolly get Blizzaks for snow tires.  You should go on tirerack and check out their snow tire tests, they actually do pretty good comprehensive tests on them.  so you can read the results, think about what kind of winter driving you'll be doing and go from there.  If this is your first winter in Germany, maybe talk to some of the locals about what kind of conditions you can expect

How is the German used car market?  If its anything like the UK used car market where you can buy a relatively decent used car for 2-3k.  if you can spare the money for the winter, buy something cheap and fwd (I'd say awd, but that will be more expensive) for the winter that has smallish tires (so cheap winter tires), and then sell it in the spring for most of your money back.  this route might be cheaper than buying a set of snow tires for your Mustang.  If you do go this route, do some research and make sure to buy a car that has already seen 95%+ of its depreciation and make sure you're not buying a car thats gonna need a bunch of work.  Even if its little things, nickle and dime repairs add up.  a decent condition car will also be easier to sell in the spring

I'm far too lazy to answer all of this in detail.

I'm getting a Mustang and will drive it until falls apart or the body is damaged in a way that it's unsafe/illegal to drive further.

I'm very familiar with winters, and in general winter driving.

The majority of driving I'll do in the winter will be in a city but there will be some traveling around in areas that aren't constantly plowed.

During the winter times I'll be loading up the trunk with heavy shit for traction, I like trees but from a distance.

You can make them handle pretty well too.

Not swapping the engine in an FB. I'd like to drive it in near stock condition. (With a spare wankel in the garage for when the seals go pop..)

Why not FC?

I can personally vouch for a 95 civic.. Cheap as tap water to run and cheaper than a months worth of smokes for parts..

New rad cost me 60$.. New 15" steels w/ all seasons for winter (all around) $200..

I beat the absolute piss out of that car and its still running and since been fixed with a parts car.. (Had no bumpers from drifting it in snow, the previous owners dog ate the seatbelts.. Stuff like that)

But honestly, if you drive a Civic here, you're gonna get sooo much hate. Pretty much every civic driven here has been riced to hell and back

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why not FC?

But honestly, if you drive a Civic here, you're gonna get sooo much hate. Pretty much every civic driven here has been riced to hell and back

The FB is nicer to look at to me