Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I really like how some diesels sound. Like this TDI

Skip to about 7:50 to hear it

Talking in general , most of the diesels sound crappy , at least the ones iv driven / have been driven in . 

For  example , the old Laguna , the new one , and we also have a 2007 Megane hatchback . 1,9DTi , 1,9Dci and 1,5Dci are the engines they use .

The older DTi line literally is a friggin tractor , no way around it . The DCi are a newer line of engines , and while they sound better , especially the 1,9 since it sounds a bit throatier , its still heavily muffled and kinda tinny . 

Same goes for Volkswagen , Peugeot , Opel and what not , only Citroen and Mazda are somewhat different . Maybe even Fords TDCI engines . 

buuuut .... older BMW and Mercedes 6 cylinder diesels ... i could listen all day to those :D 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Still real tired of hearing stuff like that. 

Its like riding a draft horse and then complaining that it can't gallop as fast as the prize winning thoroughbred race horse.

I do like the Camaro SS and i will swap something more substantial into cammy later. But man am i tired of that attitude.

Even when i've swapped a v8 into it i won't shit on V6 owners and the people who do are just something i don't need in my life.

I like thatdudeinblue and i dig his mustang. And i'll still stay subbed to his channel. The base camaro is an easy target and i can deal with it.

Its just a low blow.

I'm sure he'd give a V6 Mustang the same blow to be honest. Yes it's still solidly a good car. Just if you want to go for performance you're looking in the wrong place with the V6

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i mean i like the fact that some normal cars today have features that only luxury cars had 15-20 years ago, but the driving experience is just garbage, and it's about to get a whole lot worse when self driving cars start invading sales of drivered cars.

Yeah I don't think I'll ever really want something with an electronic throttle. It's just so touchy it's not even funny. I've got big feet too. So natural lead foot.

1 minute ago, ColonelThunder said:

Talking in general , most of the diesels sound crappy , at least the ones iv driven / have been driven in . 

For  example , the old Laguna , the new one , and we also have a 2007 Megane hatchback . 1,9DTi , 1,9Dci and 1,5Dci are the engines they use .

The older DTi line literally is a friggin tractor , no way around it . The DCi are a newer line of engines , and while they sound better , especially the 1,9 since it sounds a bit throatier , its still heavily muffled and kinda tinny . 

Same goes for Volkswagen , Peugeot , Opel and what not , only Citroen and Mazda are somewhat different . Maybe even Fords TDCI engines . 

buuuut .... older BMW and Mercedes 6 cylinder diesels ... i could listen all day to those :D 

I really have no personal experience with diesels. Not even American truck diesels. We've always had gas vehicles.

Only diesels I have experience with are actual tractors

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

@JoaoPRSousa @RevoltTrain

Renault has you covered :ph34r:

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

1 minute ago, ColonelThunder said:

@JoaoPRSousa @RevoltTrain

Renault has you covered :ph34r:

I was originally planning on getting an already made Turbo-back

But after seeing it would cost me $950USD before shipping. I decided I'd take it to a local shop and have a custom 3 inch exhaust made from the turbo back after I do headers and decide if I'll keep the stock turbo or not.

This is the exhaust I was looking at originally though

This one is with a stock intake as well

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

Question. Do you take your driving test in your personal vehicle if you have one? Or do you take it in a vehicle supplied by the BMV?

Personal vehicle.

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

Yeah Indiana is ridiculous. That's why I waited. I wanted to get on this earlier last year, but with some family health issues getting my license was the least of my concern

The good thing about getting my license at 18 over as a minor is when I have my full license I won't have a probationary license (Essentially curfew)

IIRC, in Texas once you get your license there's no restrictions even if you're say, 16. Only the permit has restrictions on you like no driving past 10/11 PM - 5AM, you must always have an adult over 21 in the passenger seat, etc.

6 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I'm sure he'd give a V6 Mustang the same blow to be honest. Yes it's still solidly a good car. Just if you want to go for performance you're looking in the wrong place with the V6

Didn't he review a V6 Mustang and not give it that much shit?

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Personal vehicle.

IIRC, in Texas once you get your license there's no restrictions even if you're say, 16. Only the permit has restrictions on you like no driving past 10/11 PM - 5AM, you must always have an adult over 21 in the passenger seat, etc.

Didn't he review a V6 Mustang and not give it that much shit?

I've never seen him review a V6 Mustang, maybe he did and I missed it

Oh, woke up late because I knew the weather would not be fun this morning, the tumbleweeds are gone. It was so windy they hopped a 5 foot wall. Its also been hailing too so that's fun.

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

I've never seen him review a V6 Mustang, maybe he did and I missed it

I'm still waking up so I might be wrong.

Oh, woke up late because I knew the weather would not be fun this morning, the tumbleweeds are gone. It was so windy they hopped a 5 foot wall. Its also been hailing too so that's fun.

I'll look into it really quick

6 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

He probably would. I bought mine for reliability (And tax reasons. I figured it would be lower with the v6. And i do save $40 a year but that wasn't too bad. Hence v8 swap)

It was a bad purchase though.. I'll never be able to go below 300nm's of torque again.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

sounds like absolutely sucky weather. over here its sunny and like a cool 60 degrees.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

He probably would. I bought mine for reliability (And tax reasons. I figured it would be lower with the v6. And i do save $40 a year but that wasn't too bad. Hence v8 swap)

It was a bad purchase though.. I'll never be able to go below 300nm's of torque again.. 

Then once you get the V8 "I'll never be able to go under 550nm's of torque again.."

Then when you get the super charger...

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

sounds like absolutely sucky weather. over here its sunny and like a cool 60 degrees.

It's actually GREAT, I just don't like doing shit outside in this weather.

I don't think he was hating on the V6 because it's an easy thing to hate on. But as a performance car it's not the right way to start really. Almost always you kind want the bigger option of engine to start tuning.

Other than the Saab. No aftermarket for the 3,0L V6 Turbo, you would think there would be an aftermarket. But no

Then once you get the V8 "I'll never be able to go under 550nm's of torque again.."

Then when you get the super charger...

Torque is an addicting thing xD 

In the end it'll probably be 

"Can't get any traction. But i sure as hell ain't going below 1200nm's again"

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

He has done a V6 Mustang review, but it was a supercharged example. So does it really count?

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I don't think he was hating on the V6 because it's an easy thing to hate on. But as a performance car it's not the right way to start really. Almost always you kind want the bigger option of engine to start tuning.

Other than the Saab. No aftermarket for the 3,0L V6 Turbo, you would think there would be an aftermarket. But no

You won't see that kind of thing much outside american car groups anyway. Euro guys are fairly civil to each other. 

I think the main thing about the 3.0 has against it is the 2.0 and 2.3's are just more common. Especially over here. I could make a call right now and have at least three here by the end of the week xD 

You won't see that kind of thing much outside american car groups anyway. Euro guys are fairly civil to each other. 

I think the main thing about the 3.0 has against it is the 2.0 and 2.3's are just more common. Especially over here. I could make a call right now and have at least three here by the end of the week xD 

Yeah but here seeing a Saab is pretty uncommon. I feel like I'm driving a unicorn that no one here cares about. But there is a house a few streets down with 4 or 5 Volvos. So you can tell around here at least why Volvo is still around and Saab isn't

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Yeah but here seeing a Saab is pretty uncommon. I feel like I'm driving a unicorn that no one here cares about. But there is a house a few streets down with 4 or 5 Volvos. So you can tell around here at least why Volvo is still around and Saab isn't

My camaro is the same xD It really is like driving a unicorn. (Had a few guys ask me what it is at gas stations. One guy thought it was french...)

Did Saab have a factory over there?  I know volvo is about to build one. But i don't remember if saab had one.

4 minutes ago, techswede said:

My camaro is the same xD It really is like driving a unicorn. (Had a few guys ask me what it is at gas stations. One guy thought it was french...)

Did Saab have a factory over there?  I know volvo is about to build one. But i don't remember if saab had one.

I'm not sure if they did. My car was brought here from Finland, so I know they had a factory there at least

Nope. No idea why my car was brought here from Finland as it's further away from the US than Sweden is. Maybe easier to export? Anyway

saab.PNG

3 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I'm not sure if they did. My car was brought here from Finland, so I know they had a factory there at least

You'd think GM would at least have the tooling to make cars over there. But maybe not.

9 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Nope. No idea why my car was brought here from Finland as it's further away from the US than Sweden is. Maybe easier to export? Anyway

saab.PNG

Looks like they built cars in a Valmet factory in finland. 

The factory in trollhättan is pretty small 

saab-fabriken.jpg

So that might explain why they aren't that widespread. 

@MEC-777

GO MUSTAAAAAAANG

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Valmet automotive is quite interesting as it turns out. The made some fiskers, Porsches and even a Talbot. 

They also made an electric car for the norwegian market with a name of similar pretentiousness levels as Smart.

The Th!nk City

Think.jpg

11 minutes ago, techswede said:

You'd think GM would at least have the tooling to make cars over there. But maybe not.

The acquisition was in late 2000 I believe. My car is a 2000 model so built in 99. But it doesn't look like they ever had a factory on us soil. Maybe that's what the Mexico factory was for. A lot of cars are built in Mexico and then sold in the US