Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Hahhah well, that makes me feel a bit better. :P Speaking of change, is @iDeFecZx on his 10th car yet?

@hydrochloricOhh, is that an inline 5? What turbo are you running, and you got any more pics? ;) i've always wanted a c5, though preferably an S6 plus or maybe an i5 S6.

(granted the B5 S4 will always be closest to my heart ;))

Man, so many people love the B5, but I just can't get into it.  Something about it is too... I dunno, not boring, certainly, but maybe uninteresting?  To me, at least.

IMG_6414s.thumb.jpg.d8603dbcf21c40741aaa40840005bced.jpg

Sadly that front bumper crack has gotten worse, it's now stitched up with zip ties.  Getting a new S bumper is like $1200+ IF you can find one, and the 100/A6 bumper doesn't flare out to meet the S widebody.  I'll probably end up getting a 100 bumper and trying to add these flares onto it...  It's got a Volvo S60R turbo, which IIRC is an K24-7600 equivalent.  It gave me another 1000RPM of full boost, so where before the car petered out around 5500, now it holds 25PSI all the way to 6500, and I think I lost maybe 300 rpm of spool.  Modern turbos, man.  Somewhere I have an underhood shot...  I haven't had it on a dyno as is, the typical claim for this setup is 350HP.

I would honestly have preferred an Avant too, but the price they command is nuts.  It's like a 120% increase over the sedans.  We never did get the S6+ in the US though.  OBDII emissions regulations and all.

1 minute ago, Victor Golf said:

1.) That's sweet. Don't know what VTA stands for though. 

2.) my dream is to have a 2 door GC one day. I hate suba-bro's. They ruin everything.

3.) Close. It's out of my 09 Legacy GT Spec.B. Rebuilt with forged internals after detecting rod knock very early. 

4.) I've got a turbo off of a skid steer I might give to a buddy with a Nissan mini truck. 

Sorry for delayed replies, I am at work.

VTA is vent to atmosphere, I was thinking in blow off valve terms for some reason.

Mine was a 4-door, but with the 2-door wing because I was a poser lol.  It did have custom 2.5RS/C stickers though!  I had a vinyl place cut it using the Subaru font, so it looked like it was factory lol.

Ah damn, one year isn't too far off.  One of my subaru-lifer friends had a Spec B, he loved it (I admit it's probably the best legacy).

I have like three turbos laying around that I keep threatening to put on our lemons car, but blowy-uppy and endurance racing and all.

No worries, I should be, but the shutdown has me off this week.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

Anyone in the Calgary area looking for a practically new Police Interceptor? Well it looks like this BMW dealership has got you covered. Not sure if it's the 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost though. Not shots of the engine bay and they didn't specify. 

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Police Interceptor Utility/Calgary/AB/5_47277138_CT2004428112450956?loc=T2H3C1&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=dsp&utm_campaign=CA-DSP-DT-EN-PROSPECTING-COMPETITORS-INTENDER&utm_content=carousel&fbclid=IwAR1i7-SbnF7jELswAZmLF_C_0qfb02YM95QbfAxMlzQaDCcdbHTo9ZD1XH0

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

32 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Man, so many people love the B5, but I just can't get into it.  Something about it is too... I dunno, not boring, certainly, but maybe uninteresting?  To me, at least.

~snip~

Sadly that front bumper crack has gotten worse, it's now stitched up with zip ties.  Getting a new S bumper is like $1200+ IF you can find one, and the 100/A6 bumper doesn't flare out to meet the S widebody.  I'll probably end up getting a 100 bumper and trying to add these flares onto it...  It's got a Volvo S60R turbo, which IIRC is an K24-7600 equivalent.  It gave me another 1000RPM of full boost, so where before the car petered out around 5500, now it holds 25PSI all the way to 6500, and I think I lost maybe 300 rpm of spool.  Modern turbos, man.  Somewhere I have an underhood shot... I haven't had it on a dyno as is, the typical claim for this setup is 350HP.

I would honestly have preferred an Avant too, but the price they command is nuts.  It's like a 120% increase over the sedans.  We never did get the S6+ in the US though.  OBDII emissions regulations and all.

~snip~

Yeah dude, finding bumpers for older S/RS model cars is a pain, and barely anyone makes good quality "oem look" replicas (good buisness idea??). http://www.cool-wheels.com/shop/products-page/audi/a6-c4/audi-s6-c4-front-bumper/ <-- That one should also work on an s4, though you may need different mounts and it's euro-spec so its a bit shorter than the US ones. Otherwise you'll probs have to fiberglass repair yours hahah. 

That turbo upgrade sounds great man, even if its 'only' makign 300bhp that's more than enough for a daily. 

Over here in Europe the sedans command more of premium, though I must admit I generally prefer the look of sedans ;)

I get what you mean with the B5, it's not a car with a lot of "character" and "charisma" so to speak, it's a very 'no-nonsense *subtle* german car'. Honestly I couldn't even explain to you why I like them as much as I do hahah. :P

Edit: I think your pictures were borked ;)

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

4 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Yeah dude, finding bumpers for older S/RS model cars is a pain, and barely anyone makes good quality "oem look" replicas (good buisness idea??). http://www.cool-wheels.com/shop/products-page/audi/a6-c4/audi-s6-c4-front-bumper/ <-- That one should also work on an s4, though you may need different mounts and it's euro-spec so its a bit shorter than the US ones. Otherwise you'll probs have to fiberglass repair yours hahah. 

That turbo upgrade sounds great man, even if its 'only' makign 300bhp that's more than enough for a daily. 

Over here in Europe the sedans command more of premium, though I must admit I generally prefer the look of sedans ;)

I get what you mean with the B5, it's not a car with a lot of "character" and "charisma" so to speak, it's a very 'no-nonsense *subtle* german car'. Honestly I couldn't even explain to you why I like them as much as I do hahah. :P

Oh, now that is an interesting bumper, I hadn't seen that one yet.  RS2-esque.  I'm not sure it would look as good on an S4 though, since the S6 had the body-color rub rail and the 4's had the black ones, it wouldn't carry that line.

One thing that's not hard to find is a complete euro bumper setup.  I think 2Bennet even had a front and rear set, gets rid of the silly moustache bar too.  Downside is they want like 3k...  On the rare occasion private seller ones show up they're less.  There are other options, a Zender one for instance, but they all seem to be S6 design, and apparently they're all pretty low quality.

I can't complain about the power, but through work I've had the chance to drive the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, so at this point anything under 500 horses seems a little lackluster lol.

I have a few friends with B5 S4s, they love them and have each rebuilt the engines like 3 times for more and more power.  They're just very meh to me, I like the C4 because it's relatively uncommon and I'm a sucker for I5s.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

Hahhah well, that makes me feel a bit better. :P Speaking of change, is @iDeFecZx on his 10th car yet?

@hydrochloricOhh, is that an inline 5? What turbo are you running, and you got any more pics? ;) i've always wanted a c5, though preferably an S6 plus or maybe an i5 S6.

(granted the B5 S4 will always be closest to my heart ;))

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

11th, actually

Cheeky sods. Number 5 until October or potentially sooner 👀👀😂

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, hydrochloric said:

Thanks, though that hasn't been my Subaru for about 5 years now.  I actually sold it to a guy who drove it from NY to SC, then SC to CO, where it got handed around a bunch.  I got a few messages from various owners out there trying to figure out just what it was before it finally got sold to about the most Suba-bro guy I'd ever seen.  He drifted it into a curb before scrapping it (though it was rusty as hell before I sold it so that didn't help).  I think he said it was at near 400k.

Ah-ha, I knew I had some photos of that wing somewhere:

IMG_1734.thumb.JPG.8e86b36c9991c2553a28b2db1feb0e02.JPG

And I think this is a photo from the 3rd time the headgaskets gave out!  Lol.tracks.thumb.jpg.27b720d8f7682e3f531fac7824835c39.jpg

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

5....x2 + 1 = 11 :^)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

30 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Oh, now that is an interesting bumper, I hadn't seen that one yet.  RS2-esque.  I'm not sure it would look as good on an S4 though, since the S6 had the body-color rub rail and the 4's had the black ones, it wouldn't carry that line.

One thing that's not hard to find is a complete euro bumper setup.  I think 2Bennet even had a front and rear set, gets rid of the silly moustache bar too.  Downside is they want like 3k...  On the rare occasion private seller ones show up they're less.  There are other options, a Zender one for instance, but they all seem to be S6 design, and apparently they're all pretty low quality.

I can't complain about the power, but through work I've had the chance to drive the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, so at this point anything under 500 horses seems a little lackluster lol.

I have a few friends with B5 S4s, they love them and have each rebuilt the engines like 3 times for more and more power.  They're just very meh to me, I like the C4 because it's relatively uncommon and I'm a sucker for I5s.

Ohh right, I forgot that the S6/s4 lines just wouldn't match cause of the plastics. Probably a good idea to get yours fixed then, would definitely end up cheaper. 

Are you sure your friends weren't rebuilding them cause they blew up? ;)

18 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Wait what's number 4 and 5? I remember the c2, then the clio, then the mini (or was there something before it?), then idk hahahha. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

2 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Ohh right, I forgot that the S6/s4 lines just wouldn't match cause of the plastics. Probably a good idea to get yours fixed then, would definitely end up cheaper. 

No, that's exactly why all but one of the rebuilds happened lol.  😂

17 hours ago, hydrochloric said:

I should have finally put something here back when I joined the forum, but until this whole work from home thing, I haven't had the time to follow up on old forums.  Thank the folding for getting me back in.

These days I have way too many cars, so sorry for the image dump lol.

Daily, 6-speed, upgraded turbo, F50 (yes, the Ferrari) brakes, lowered, 3" SS304 exhaust with cutout, 1993 S4

The fancy "date" car, 93 XJS:

The track car- Megasquirt3X, 4x ITBs from a GSXR750, full FC RX7 front subframe, TII brakes, etc, 1985 RX7 GSL-SE:

(This actually has a full front splitter on it now)

The classics: 1966 VW Squareback- full survivor, from my grandfather.  Man I was young in this photo.

1950 Hudson Commodore 6, my "rally car (TSD rallies):

Technically I own 50% of a 2003 Ford Ranger, which is a 24 Hours of Lemons car:

There's past vehicles, but man this is way too big already lol.  So for those that got this far, here's a gif of me driving the Hudson way harder than I should have:

http://i.imgur.com/Eg2SnC1.gifv

loving the car collection you got there :D 

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Mines NA 11:1, but it's Jap so I don't expect it to go all Euro car on me 🤷‍♂️

Biggest downside is no cheap(er) fuel.

On the other hand I don't drive it 'nicely' lol. 

and i have a car running 18:1? ... and is a Euro....  difficult to find compression ratio numbers for it 🙃

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

31 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

loving the car collection you got there :D 

and i have a car running 18:1? ... and is a Euro....  difficult to find compression ratio numbers for it 🙃

Thanks, me too.  It's a borderline addiction.

18:1 would have to be a diesel, right?

11 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Thanks, me too.  It's a borderline addiction.

18:1 would have to be a diesel, right?

I quite want a C3 100 or 200 avant with the 2.2 20v turbo ... but man they are rare ... or expensive :( 

Yup
posted a few days ago on here 

Spoiler

Needed a nice little daily for around the town ... and well and a replacement for 2001 S40 .. and the best fact, i fit in this one :D (being 2m tall aint that fun car wise)
image.thumb.png.86f47a68516258151ffe1118d5cad7ef.png

image.thumb.png.a71fc5faa4dff1b0ba27e31331efee81.png

Issa 2015 Volvo V40 D2 (1.6 turbo diesel)  with a 6 speed automagic box for those who care :P 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Just now, PandaCopyRight said:

I quite want a C3 100 or 200 avant with the 2.2 20v turbo ... but man they are rare ... or expensive :( 

Yup
posted a few days ago on here 

Reveal hidden contents

Needed a nice little daily for around the town ... and well and a replacement for 2001 S40 .. and the best fact, i fit in this one :D (being 2m tall aint that fun car wise)
image.thumb.png.86f47a68516258151ffe1118d5cad7ef.png

image.thumb.png.a71fc5faa4dff1b0ba27e31331efee81.png

Issa 2015 Volvo V40 D2 (1.6 turbo diesel)  with a 6 speed automagic box for those who care :P 

There's a 78 C2 5000 sedan for sale in NY right now.  I'd love to have it but the C pillar is rusting, which means the whole thing is falling apart.  ☹️  And yeah, the AAN/3B is not a common motor anywhere.  Ironically a friend actually found a literally identical S4 to mine not long after he first drove mine.  So now we both have white 93 S4s.  Though his has the mocha interior and mine is black.

Those little Volvo hatches are really good looking!  For a while my mother was considering a C30, but she wanted AWD.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

5....x2 + 1 = 11 :^)

At the current rate of things, ill be on number 11 in about 2 years time 😂😂😂

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

6 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

There's a 78 C2 5000 sedan for sale in NY right now.  I'd love to have it but the C pillar is rusting, which means the whole thing is falling apart.  ☹️  And yeah, the AAN/3B is not a common motor anywhere.  Ironically a friend actually found a literally identical S4 to mine not long after he first drove mine.  So now we both have white 93 S4s.  Though his has the mocha interior and mine is black.

Those little Volvo hatches are really good looking!  For a while my mother was considering a C30, but she wanted AWD.

i love them audi 5pots ... they just sound mad.
Also a B2 coupe with quattro awd and the 2.2 20v would probably be considered a bit of a dream car of mine :P 
same with the RS2 and S4/S6 avant from the generation like your sedan :D 

Yeah, originally the plan was to go for a C30 ... but i didnt fit in it ... like the seat didnt go low enough 😂

but the V40 is a great car, seriously economical while being quick enough for around town ... and surprisingly quick on the highway

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

Wait what's number 4 and 5? I remember the c2, then the clio, then the mini (or was there something before it?), then idk hahahha. 

C2, Clio, ST, Type R, Mini

41 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

C2, Clio, ST, Type R, Mini

Ahhh i see. 

@PandaCopyRightNice car! When'd you get your license?

14 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Ahhh i see. 

@PandaCopyRightNice car! When'd you get your license?

got it exactly the day before my b-day ... like i had planned 😂 .. November 22nd

5 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

got it exactly the day before my b-day ... like i had planned 😂 .. November 22nd

Awesome! I'm practically counting the days till my birthday hahah. 

In case anyone has an E9X series BMW and wants some metal pedal covers, the ones for the F series fit perfect. These are product no. 35002232277 (RHD). Bit fiddly to install if you have larger hands like myself, though.

Got a boot spoiler that I'm going to try to install today, so pictures of that should come if I get round to it.

IMG_20200401_162610.thumb.jpg.9d310d9a836e796d80af344f56b2933c.jpg

Doing the paperwork on the mustang now

Edited by MadyTehWolfie

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Being my first post in the thread was my summertime 4-wheeled ride.  This time it will be a pair of the 2-wheeled variety waiting for the weather to get nicer.  2006 Ducati 749 and a 2007 Ducati Sportclassic.  Hanging out in the dinning room from their winter slumber.

IMG_20191114_143812573.jpg

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Got a boot spoiler that I'm going to try to install today, so pictures of that should come if I get round to it.

So scrap that. Tried using BMW's BetaLink adhesive like they recommend but it's horrible stuff, gets absolutely everywhere. Spent a good hour cleaning off all the adhesive after aborting the install. Going to have to let the remaining adhesive on the spoiler dry and then sand it back I guess. 

Everyone else seems to just use plenty of 3M tape for the lip spoilers like this one, so just going to go down that route.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620