Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

So I've been looking into the top speed of my Paseo, and it seems like its top speed is 190kph, although some people have been able to get it up to 200kph which I'd say is pretty impressive for a car with only 100hp! How does this compare to other cars? 

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

29 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so what your car needs a little........support?

Obvious joke is obvious...

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 hour ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Yeah... i know... what a hassle.

Now I’m looking at bras. ?

Xpel 

dont get a vinyl/rubber/cloth one. Will just end in scratches 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

54 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

So I've been looking into the top speed of my Paseo, and it seems like its top speed is 190kph, although some people have been able to get it up to 200kph which I'd say is pretty impressive for a car with only 100hp! How does this compare to other cars? 

my echo had 109hp and it said its top speed was 180, but only managed 170

21 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk any winter racecar projects this year?

I was hoping to do the 2.5 swap this winter, but the whole buying a house thing was a bigger financial punch than I expected... so I'm still not sure if it'll happen or not.  at the same time I still kinda wanna manage a sub 2:00 at the Ridge on my current setup... I think the car has it in it, I know I can shave some by improving my braking.  speaking of braking, I'm planning to replace my BMC, booster, and vacuum check valve.  I found a guy on the forum that was having the same exact issue as me with pad knockback and this fixed his problem... so fingers crossed... I think that alone can drop a decent amount of time.  Then there's still driver improvement to be had in the braking department...  I'm sorta toying with the idea to get back to a more hardcore seat... I went from an OMP First-R to an OMP ARS-R, and its actually a pretty significant difference on track.  although I may try adding a 5/6 point harness first and see how that goes.

how about you? any big plans?  coilovers? :D 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

41 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Xpel 

dont get a vinyl/rubber/cloth one. Will just end in scratches 

Yeah I decided against a vinyl one. I’m thinking big deflector or nothing. 

Its still a 12 year old car with 218k on it. ?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Tfw u replace the nozzles after 2 hours of struggle then they work exactly the same. 

42 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Yeah I decided against a vinyl one. I’m thinking big deflector or nothing. 

Its still a 12 year old car with 218k on it. ?

just rock nothing then. keep your distance from other ppl

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

I was hoping to do the 2.5 swap this winter, but the whole buying a house thing was a bigger financial punch than I expected... so I'm still not sure if it'll happen or not.  at the same time I still kinda wanna manage a sub 2:00 at the Ridge on my current setup... I think the car has it in it, I know I can shave some by improving my braking.  speaking of braking, I'm planning to replace my BMC, booster, and vacuum check valve.  I found a guy on the forum that was having the same exact issue as me with pad knockback and this fixed his problem... so fingers crossed... I think that alone can drop a decent amount of time.  Then there's still driver improvement to be had in the braking department...  I'm sorta toying with the idea to get back to a more hardcore seat... I went from an OMP First-R to an OMP ARS-R, and its actually a pretty significant difference on track.  although I may try adding a 5/6 point harness first and see how that goes.

how about you? any big plans?  coilovers? :D 

nah im stuck with the daily driver on rough roads and no other car problem still, and for the forseeable future. 

stock suspension i guess..

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

inb4 they make a new new beetle 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@FuzzyYellow get it ceramic coated. Any bra you get for it will rub right thru the paint

im really not convinced those "coatings" really work any better than just waxing you car

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

i already kinda knew it was bound to happen. i don't see the new ones, or even the older new beetles around at all.

2 hours ago, vetali said:

inb4 they make a new new beetle 

they said it might come back as an electric version.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

just rock nothing then. keep your distance from other ppl

nah im stuck with the daily driver on rough roads and no other car problem still, and for the forseeable future. 

stock suspension i guess..

so... coilovers in the spring then? :D

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

@TVwazhere @Real_PhillBert

Whats the service interval for the ST, mines come up oil change due but ive only done 2k since it was last done so surely thats not right

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

@chaozbandit

canjam car was stolen?!?!!?!??!!??

kind of a down post not really saying what happened but one of the comments says the car was stolen?

Question to all of my fellow UK residents: 

What is your opinion on smart motorways? 

My Opinion: Yes I understand (I Think) the whole concept behind them to slow down cars before they reach traffic, which is a good thing. But when they are turned on at 11pm at night when there is no traffic at all is just ridiculous and tbh I've seen no improvement in traffic management since they were installed (especially on the M6) 

Little update on my car: 

Recently took it for a service after the service I took it for a hard drive (doing the speed limit of course ?) after the drive I could smell burning oil - i assumed that some may have spilled onto something that gets hot whilst they was topping it up so i thought nothing of it . Woke up the next day to discover oil all over my driveway - took it to a near mechanics straight away. turned out the place that did the service didn't put O ring on my oil filter in the correct place causing it to leak. 

I'd say i'm very lucky that my engine didn't seize up as the oil was almost empty but I'm glad it wasn't anything major. 

22 minutes ago, Purp_Juice said:

Little update on my car: 

Recently took it for a service after the service I took it for a hard drive (doing the speed limit of course ?) after the drive I could smell burning oil - i assumed that some may have spilled onto something that gets hot whilst they was topping it up so i thought nothing of it . Woke up the next day to discover oil all over my driveway - took it to a near mechanics straight away. turned out the place that did the service didn't put O ring on my oil filter in the correct place causing it to leak. 

I'd say i'm very lucky that my engine didn't seize up as the oil was almost empty but I'm glad it wasn't anything major. 

I’ll be interested to see if this escalates. Often times, stories like this end in “welp... rod bearings are gone” a few weeks later

Spoiler

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Whats the service interval for the ST, mines come up oil change due but ive only done 2k since it was last done so surely thats not right

If you ask @Real_PhillBert he’ll tell you it’s 2k and to change it immediately 

from what I can tell on the Internet, it’s apparently 10k miles in the manual 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I’ll be interested to see if this escalates. Often times, stories like this end in “welp... rod bearings are gone” a few weeks later

Well its been a couple weeks now and no issues - been checking my oil regularly and all seems fine. If it did go then it would be time for the S85 swap 

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I believe the recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles, but if you've only done 2k since the last change, the tech probably simply forgot to reset the oil clock.

Turn the ignition on without starting the engine, then put the torque requester to the floor, and push on the brake pedal. You should see a notice on the dash saying something like "oil reset in progress" hold it for a good ten seconds or so and it'll say "oil reset complete."

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I believe the recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles, but if you've only done 2k since the last change, the tech probably simply forgot to reset the oil clock.

Turn the ignition on without starting the engine, then put the torque requester to the floor, and push on the brake pedal. You should see a notice on the dash saying something like "oil reset in progress" hold it for a good ten seconds or so and it'll say "oil reset complete."

I just went back to the dealer and they reset it for me ?‍♂️

Didnt think itd be due so early 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

27 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

If you ask @Real_PhillBert he’ll tell you it’s 2k and to change it immediately 

from what I can tell on the Internet, it’s apparently 10k miles in the manual 

There's the "recommended service interval', then there's the "Phill Service Interval" haha

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

On 11/19/2018 at 2:01 PM, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm helping a guy on another forum with building an anvil from a chunk of rail road.

I lasered out a top plate for him out of 3/4" AR500. KInd of an odd material that I dont use a whole lot, but one of our laser vendors had it on hand.

*Please ignore my very dirty trunk*

*Particular about exterior, lazy about interior*?

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I change mine every 3k miles. Mostly out of habit, which sounds like a lot but I also don't drive the car too much. I will have owned the car for 2 years at the end of December and right now I've only put 15k miles on it. Otherwise I'd probably change it less frequently 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620