Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

57 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Its not a ford engine is peugeots engine. Ford use it and just call it the tdci

It’s made by PSA with Peugeot/Citeron and Ford, and used in their vehicles and BMW.

52 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

I really would like a V50, and the 2.0D is the most common one here ... hence why im doing the research :D 

Sounds like the 2.0 is a pretty good engine with it being 100kw and 340nm in the V50

how is the fuel economy in your pug? and are there any common problems with them engines? 

Fuel economy isn’t bad I get around 800km on a full tank with still left spare. It does have a tiny problem that it sometimes doesn’t start, but it’s just due to bad previous work. Still goes strong at 217k, I’m keeping it till 300k.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:53 PM, Drak3 said:

My sweet summer child.

For every known problem, there are two unknown ready to crop up.

Just a few days ago, I replaced a leaking vacuum hose on the Saab, only to be greeted with what sounded like a broken throttle body. Fortunately it was yet ANOTHER vacuum hose that was fucked. Needless to say, I'll replace all of the vacuum lines when the car comes back from the mechanic, let's see what else is broken and covered up by those.

47 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It does have a tiny problem that it sometimes doesn’t start, but it’s just due to bad previous work. 

Are you sure this isn't just because it's a Peugeot?

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

11 minutes ago, sirtoby said:

Just a few days ago, I replaced a leaking vacuum hose on the Saab, only to be greeted with what sounded like a broken throttle body. Fortunately it was yet ANOTHER vacuum hose that was fucked. Needless to say, I'll replace all of the vacuum lines when the car comes back from the mechanic, let's see what else is broken and covered up by those.

I long ago tried to stem the bleeding by replacing only the part that needed doing.

I now replace all the things in the vicinity of what I'm working on. Costs more, takes more time, but man it is satisfying to have all new whatever it is-- hoses, vacuum lines, bolts, nuts, fittings, bushings, etc. Replacing one at a time always means a few months later another one goes.

Then again, I have a mountain of while-i'm-in-theres stockpiled for both m3s, and I've run out of motivation to wrench because the jobs both cars need suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

20 minutes ago, sirtoby said:

Are you sure this isn't just because it's a Peugeot?

No it has a very small air leak in the fuel line

Just now, RorzNZ said:

No it has a very small air leak in the fuel line

Ah, I see. I haven't had the best experience with them, but if yours runs fine then who am I to judge...

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Just saw a Scion xB, which wouldn't be very interesting had the owner not replaced the xB with the word "Brick".

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

18 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Just saw a Scion xB, which wouldn't be very interesting had the owner not replaced the xB with the word "Brick".

My cousin owned one for a few years, and he had this sticker on the back window:

465-scion-xb-gen-2-aerodyna.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, sirtoby said:

Ah, I see. I haven't had the best experience with them, but if yours runs fine then who am I to judge...

Instead of being good cars by speed, traction or acceleration, Peugeot are surprising. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Instead of being good cars by speed, traction or acceleration, Peugeot are surprising. 

oh look, it broke. *is surprised*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

oh look, it broke. *is surprised*

I'm surprised it still works. 

On 11/10/2018 at 6:01 PM, chaozbandit said:

yeah i saw that, kinda lame

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

"Canada's best transit network"

Yeah okay TTC

image.thumb.png.ea6c13abe64e66d62b8e438faaca2d67.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

First post in this topic. I'm a pretty big fan of most anything with wheels. Currently my money pit is a Jeep. 

yXnELN8.png

My next project is going to be a rotary powered MGB, if I can every get some free time. The motor is sitting in my shed mocking me every time I get a tool. 

13 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Holy balls man

In my area of NY, Premium (in my case 93 octane) is around $3.15 according to my GasBuddy app. I know If I was to go closer to a major city (Something like Albany, Syracuse or Buffalo), it's more like $3.50. 

I usually fill up only 11 out of the 12 gallons the tank holds so I usually pay about $35, though I've paid as much as $45 when it was more expensive and I was filling all 12 gallons.

Feels bad having a 35 gallon tank, and costing ~$105 to fill it up if I run it to empty. Usually it's only ~$80 on a quarter tank but most pumps around me max out at $75 lol annoying.

9 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I have a Corsair M95. All the buttons. 

Logitech G600 gotcha beat. 20 buttons total

g600-feature-7.png.imgw.1888.1888.jpeg

42 minutes ago, spleenbegone said:

First post in this topic. I'm a pretty big fan of most anything with wheels. Currently my money pit is a Jeep. 

My next project is going to be a rotary powered MGB, if I can every get some free time. The motor is sitting in my shed mocking me every time I get a tool. 

Welcome to the thread! You're only allowed to do a rotary if it's a 20B. None of that 2 rotor shit around here, that stuff is weak sauce.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

12 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Feels bad having a 35 gallon tank, and costing ~$105 to fill it up if I run it to empty. Usually it's only ~$80 on a quarter tank but most pumps around me max out at $75 lol annoying.

-snip-

Welcome to the thread! You're only allowed to do a rotary if it's a 20B. None of that 2 rotor shit around here, that stuff is weak sauce.

or a R26B if you dare :P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

or a R26B if you dare :P

Ok Rob Dahm

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

25 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Well damn, I've only got a 13b. It was cheap, and still puts out way more power than what's in the MG.

8 minutes ago, spleenbegone said:

Well damn, I've only got a 13b. It was cheap, and still puts out way more power than what's in the MG.

Buy a second and screw the damn things together (that's how rotaries work right?)

[Under Construction]

8 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Buy a second and screw the damn things together (that's how rotaries work right?)

I like how you think. Should be able to just superglue them together, right? 

I actually have 0 experience with rotaries, that's why I chose it for this project. My requirements were that it was fast, noisy, and interesting. I figured that light of car, it should be fast with the added horsepower. 9,000 rpm should make some noise, and who doesn't want to see a weird engine in a tiny British car? The whole thing is going to be an exercise in ridiculousness. 

3 minutes ago, spleenbegone said:

I like how you think. Should be able to just superglue them together, right? 

I actually have 0 experience with rotaries, that's why I chose it for this project. My requirements were that it was fast, noisy, and interesting. I figured that light of car, it should be fast with the added horsepower. 9,000 rpm should make some noise, and who doesn't want to see a weird engine in a tiny British car? The whole thing is going to be an exercise in ridiculousness. 

I'm more a fan of the style of Hotrod Garage's 5.0 MG (read: 5-o-m-g), but to each their own.

[Under Construction]

weird reverse gear, dunno whats wrong with the car.

i have a relative who owns a 1999 or so volkswagen jetta, boxy one. 1.6L petrol manual.

reverse gear, lift the clutch to biting point, the car doesnt move, fully lift the clutch, still not moving. lightly tap throttle, the car jumps. engine sounds the same.

the clutch is mushy and very light, biting point is vague, feels like the pedal is only holding by a pen spring. throttle is typical vw affair, jumpy on first half, lumpy on the rest, feels stiff. the brake is fine tho.

its rev meter is broken so no engine speed to look at, have to shift it by ear. the steering wheel is tilted to left while wheels are straight. the brakes (all drum) squeak in wet weather.

this car is heavily used, a daily driver for middle aged family. they really want to keep it since it's their only car, but if this reversing problem cant be easily solved, it has to be scrapped, its too dangerous.

bottomline: buy a japanese car.

PS. sometimes you have to double clutch, the synchroniser has its own mind.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

10 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

*SNIP*

I live in the land of the 1 ton pickup; if you put your card in our pumps, they will go until you run out of money haha. 

I've seen those and although neat, I cant get used to the button grid layout. On the M95 the buttons kinda surround your thumbs resting spot, which I really like. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

18 minutes ago, zassou said:

i have a relative who owns a 1999 or so volkswagen jetta, boxy one. 1.6L petrol manual.

reverse gear, lift the clutch to biting point, the car doesnt move, fully lift the clutch, still not moving. lightly tap throttle, the car jumps. engine sounds the same.

the clutch is mushy and very light, biting point is vague, feels like the pedal is only holding by a pen spring. throttle is typical vw affair, jumpy on first half, lumpy on the rest, feels stiff. the brake is fine tho.

its rev meter is broken so no engine speed to look at, have to shift it by ear. the steering wheel is tilted to left while wheels are straight. the brakes (all drum) squeak in wet weather.

this car is heavily used, a daily driver for middle aged family. they really want to keep it since it's their only car, but if this reversing problem cant be easily solved, it has to be scrapped, its too dangerous.

So it needs a clutch and possibly reverse gear synchro

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

25 minutes ago, zassou said:

My first thought is that your throwout bearing isn't doing throwout bearing things very well, getting hung up and causing the clutch to not fully engage/disengage. 

9 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

I'm more a fan of the style of Hotrod Garage's 5.0 MG (read: 5-o-m-g), but to each their own.

That's where I got the idea. I actually bought an old Ford van with a 5.0 in it the same day, but I really didn't want to have to hack up as much as they did, plus I wanted a hood to fit.