Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

What I do with those left-hand turns when there is not left turn lane is if the on-coming lanes are empty, I pull across into the on-coming lanes early to let traffic behind me go while I slow down. 

so what your saying is you pull into the oncoming lane on the road your trying to turn onto and just effectively "merge" into the correct lane with the moving traffic? That seems fine so long as it's clear..

or do you pull into the oncoming lane on the road your about to turn off of? I'd say the downside to that is what if your forced to wait and someone ends up coming up on the main road wanting to turn right?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@MEC-777 you're smart. any tips on actually teaching someone who has no confidence/is scared how to drive (my sister)? I've honestly been ignoring this issue... but now I feel like I should be more responsible for her livelihood (and, effectively others)

Also she obv can't do manual.. so i'd have to borrow my dad's car to teach her... should I even do this? should I just get her to learn a manual transmission from the start? even then... the lightweight flywheel for a first-timer concerns me. even I can't always launch 100% smoothly with it every time either haha

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

you forgot the last step: proceed to put a 2 ton piece of machinery into a tree because you didn't know what you were doing.

xD but really I think the age to start is too young, and im saying this as a 20yo who started driving at 15

The age isn't the issue, it's the teaching methods.

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

My main problem is they don't teach people basic car physics. If you go watch car crash videos most of them can be avoided with common sense; the others (like people swerving and somehow managing to spin off a highway) mostly come because people don't know a lick about basic car physics.. they just input way too much steering, throttle, or brake and just hang on for the ride.

Plus knowing what a car can and will do and how it will react based on a scenario is a person who genuinely understands the car who is less likely to make some of those common sense mistakes as well.

I'm not saying everyone should be a pro. But they should at least have a chance to learn basics. Oversteer, understeer, how much steering to input, what to do in certain scenarios, understanding weight transfer, etc. And get them in a car on a skidpad and build some confidence with some objectives that they try to meet.

and thats why a lisence in Sweden costs ~$1000 and takes quite a bit of effort to get. we have a mandatory cource where we do a load of really fun stuff if you like cars and a load of fucking horefying stuff if you are not into cars. sliding about, moose tests in ramping speeds, sitting in a stationary car that rolls over, break tests in wet and dry paired with theory of why the car does what it does and thats just the second risk cource. If you do it in the winter you also get to learn how dangerous summer tires are in the winter when there is snow and ice out. Would be nice if you guys at least had that stuff as an option that was easely accessable :/ 

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@MEC-777 you're smart. any tips on actually teaching someone who has no confidence/is scared how to drive (my sister)? I've honestly been ignoring this issue... but now I feel like I should be more responsible for her livelihood (and, effectively others)

Also she obv can't do manual.. so i'd have to borrow my dad's car to teach her... should I even do this? should I just get her to learn a manual transmission from the start? even then... the lightweight flywheel for a first-timer concerns me. even I can't always launch 100% smoothly with it every time either haha

id start from the begining in an epty parking lot or industrial area and start with pedals, mirrors and instruments. then crawling around slowly and maybe some cones or something. thats how i started two years ago at least and i found it useful :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

or do you pull into the oncoming lane on the road your about to turn off of? I'd say the downside to that is what if your forced to wait and someone ends up coming up on the main road wanting to turn right?

This. And I only do it when there's clear visibility for on-coming traffic on the road I'm turning off of and on the road I'm turning onto - to make sure I don't get caught with someone turning right and hitting me head-on. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Flanged M14 nut please!

Noise fixed! No more heads turning hehehehehehehe hiccup

Grinder button fixed please!

Mr. Sub owned by the Russian, preferred over typical other franchise owners. Yes Sub of the day.

No other plans for the day.

But I do gotta figure out why my battery isnt up to snuff. And order more batteries.

Oh yeahhhhhhhhh need a small wheel for trailer.

Lata

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Learning manual at this point for her would probably be overwhelming as she is already nervous and unsure about her abilities and/or driving on the road with traffic to begin with. Better to teach her about driving with common sense and to learn to read traffic ahead, gain more confidence first and foremost. Learning to drive manual is a whole separate thing and can come later when she feels more confident.

I would take her out (in an automatic car) and just talk to her as you or she is driving. Tell her what's going through your mind as you read the traffic and what you do as you go along to help traffic flow more smoothly and be more prepared if something happens. It all comes with experience and if it's taught properly, it becomes a habit she won't even think about as she drives and she should feel more comfortable behind the wheel in due time. 

Some people will just always be nervous, unsure to a degree no matter how much you train/teach them and there's not much you can do about it. It's confidence they must gain for themselves. 

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

The age isn't the issue, it's the teaching methods.

Mostly agree. It's also experience. Some young drivers have confidence and some don't. Some require more time to gain experience and confidence. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

22 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Mostly agree. It's also experience. Some young drivers have confidence and some don't. Some require more time to gain experience and confidence. 

If you're unable to teach confidence the very least you can do is teach someone the common sense of knowing when they shouldn't drive if they're incapable.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

I hear you. Couple people I know have 300s. One has a normal one, the other has an SRT8. Both like them.

Thats good news! Come November when im not upside down on my car I'll probably get it

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Alfa Romeo 4C by Mole Design:

Dear lord that is glorious. 

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Alfa Romeo 4C by Mole Design:

*SNIP*

1179cff219734e751e4544d3063d53df.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

If you're unable to teach confidence the very least you can do is teach someone the common sense of knowing when they shouldn't drive if they're incapable.

For the first 3 or 4 years i was driving i was a mess, semis still scare me and more often than not ill just stay behind stuff if i have to pass.

28 minutes ago, Cole5 said:

For the first 3 or 4 years i was driving i was a mess, semis still scare me and more often than not ill just stay behind stuff if i have to pass.

Semis never scared me until I had to drive a bus on the interstate... those things have no steering feel at high speeds and you're always fighting the wind, being next to a semi feels like two battleships across from eachother duking it out in rough seas.

25 minutes ago, xXxAdamxXx said:

Semis never scared me until I had to drive a bus on the interstate... those things have no steering feel at high speeds and you're always fighting the wind, being next to a semi feels like two battleships across from eachother duking it out in rough seas.

Ive always driven sub 2 ton cars so the wind lash of a semi at 60 threw me around, it got better in my Mercedes 

1 minute ago, Cole5 said:

Ive always driven sub 2 ton cars so the wind lash of a semi at 60 threw me around, it got better in my Mercedes 

Even over 2 ton vehicles you get pushed around. 

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

no doubt but goin from 3300 to 4700 pounds is aq helll of a chnage

52 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Double park their ass

No lines. Gravel. Lol

29 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

the miata gets around this issue by being small enough that if you drive on the far side of the lane (it'll literally only take up half the lane) it doesn't affect you much.

xD

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

the miata gets around this issue by being small enough that if you drive on the far side of the lane (it'll literally only take up half the lane) it doesn't affect you much.

xD

Lucky you :P I'm conditioned to pre-adjust the steering wheel right when I hit the wake of wind from a semi.

3 hours ago, Cole5 said:

With my wagon I've never had issues with this, but with sedans and coupes I always have. Not too sure why really 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

11 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

With my wagon I've never had issues with this, but with sedans and coupes I always have. Not too sure why really 

Wheelbase gives you better stability?

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Wheelbase gives you better stability?

but european wagons are the same wheelbase as the same cars sedan version :/ 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 minute ago, PandaCopyRight said:

but european wagons are the same wheelbase as the same cars sedan version :/ 

I wouldn't know these things. If the 9-5 is even a couple inches longer than the sedan version it can make a drastic difference in its handling.

12 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I wouldn't know these things. If the 9-5 is even a couple inches longer than the sedan version it can make a drastic difference in its handling.

wheelbase is the same, the bumpers make the generations longer or shorter body wise. the Wagon is around 3-5mm longer xD and the pre facelift one is around 3mm wider than the other newer versions and the wagon up to year 2000 should be around 50mm higher than the sedan 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

32 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

wheelbase is the same, the bumpers make the generations longer or shorter body wise. the Wagon is around 3-5mm longer xD and the pre facelift one is around 3mm wider than the other newer versions and the wagon up to year 2000 should be around 50mm higher than the sedan 

/shrug