24 Year Old woman Dies After Tweeting That She Worked 30 Hours Straight

GoodBytes

Mita Duran, a 24-year-old woman who worked as a copywriter in Indonesia, slipped into a coma on Sunday and passed away, after tweeting that she worked for 30h straight.

She often kept herself awake by drinking a Thai version of Red Bull energy drink, while working at Young & Rubicam, an ad agency owned by WPP.

Duran often kept herself awake by drinking Kratingdaeng, better known as Thai Red Bull, writes Lee Moran at the New York Daily News, while working late into the night at Young & Rubicam, an ad agency owned by multinational advertising and public relations company WPP.

Duran's Twitter feed shows that she often tweeted about her heavy workload:

"Haven’t slept since Saturday and I have 30 more copy lines to go and a plane to catch tomorrow afternoon," she said on July 8.

"Sweetest sleep I've had in a long time. It's a shame I'm supposed to wake up uh, ONE HOUR earlier. Slept through 3 phone calls and 3 alarms!" she said on Nov. 14.

Her last tweet:

screen%20shot%202013-12-18%20at%2010.36.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/young-woman-dies-after-working-30-hours-2013-12?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29

Know your limits people. Overworking is very bad. If your job requires constant overworking, your life and health should not suffer from this. It's not worth it. They are better jobs out there.

Do you have a job that requires to have little sleep many times?

Work to live don't live to work.

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I have a job like that. It's called school :(

EDIT: I said it wrong, but I meant a "job that requires you too sleep little. Not a job where you work for 30 hours.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Best days of your life, you might not realize it now but trust me.... thats easy!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Thats not even funny. Unless you are in a university you go to school 6-8 hours a day and get maybe 3 hours of homework at most. This person died by being pushed too hard either by themselves or more likely their employers.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

The other day I did 2 full day shitfs in a row and didnt sleep the night inbetween. Part of it was coz I work at hugry jacks and we keeped pinching mother cans and the other I had just bought my new pc and was having problems I needed to sort out. At the end of my shift around 9pm -10pm I was making burgers and couldnt feel my arms. I got light headed and felt so dead tired and fatigued. Reading this feel like such an idiot and regret that now.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Work to life don't work to life! 

I guess it's wrong dude.

It kinda makes me feel bad for spend 30+ hours gaming without sleep once when I was younger.

Edited by MatheusSanzo

Signatures are stupid.

This is really a double-sided case.

1) No one should have to work for 30 hours straight - She should have demanded regular breaks or even a revised shift schedule

2) She didn't do herself any favors by drinking multiple redbulls.

I'm not medical expert, but I would slant towards saying she probably was affected by a caffeine overdose paired? I don't think that is enough to kill someone, but it sure didn't help.

I can't have an gif as my signature, so you can have this image.gif

The other day I did 2 full day shitfs in a row and didnt sleep the night inbetween. Part of it was coz I work at hugry jacks and we keeped pinching mother cans and the other I had just bought my new pc and was having problems I needed to sort out. At the end of my shift around 9pm -10pm I was making burgers and couldnt feel my arms. I got light headed and felt so dead tired and fatigued. Reading this feel like such an idiot and regret that now.

I would say the energy drinks are a major contribution to this.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Best days of your life, you might not realize it now but trust me.... thats easy!

Thats not even funny. Unless you are in a university you go to school 6-8 hours a day and get maybe 3 hours of homework at most. This person died by being pushed too hard either by themselves or more likely their employers.

I formulated it wrong. I didn't mean a job that you die from, but a "job" that lets you sleep next too nothing in certain cases.

It was a bad joke anyway so sorry for bringing it up.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Im 15. I drink anything with sugar mkay? Plus I need the money coz lemme tell ya that 780ti is one hell of a wallet thinner.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

overexertion is over 9000

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

lool related headlines :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I suspect DVT, remaining stationary (sitting, bed-ridden) for a long period of time can cause blood clots to form in the lower extremities, once the person stands up or walks the blood clot becomes mobile and can travel to the lungs, blocking circulation leading to low oxygen delivery to the brain which in turn leads to coma and death.

If your job requires you to sit for prolonged periods of time it's highly recommended that you stand up from your chair and walk for a few minutes every couple of hours.

I can tell you that is was not the work that killed her.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Damn straight those things are evil.

I used to work at a cinema doing really crappy shifts 14 hours in a projection booth with no one else will put anything to sleep, I used to drink loads of redbull or basically anything with energy written on it and generally always felt somewhat crappy. after getting a normal regular houred job and quitting the drinks its all gone. Amazing the amount of junk in that stuff.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Im 15. I drink anything with sugar mkay? Plus I need the money coz lemme tell ya that 780ti is one hell of a wallet thinner.

Sugar isn't that good for you but it isn't going to kill you.

Energy drinks can put a lot of stress on your heart. Now what do you think will happen if you put your body under massive stress by staying up for hours but then fuel that stress with another substance that causes body stress? You're going to have a bad time. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

It's sad to hear that she died, but there is most likely more to this than the occasional long days at work... It's probably more related to her intake habits; drinking copious amounts of anything like that cannot be healthy, especially if she's done it over a long period of time.

Any serious developer you ask would probably be able to tell you that he or she has been forced to work 48-72 hour shifts without rest during crunch time on a number of occasions. it's not very stressful on the body after the first 24-28 hours, your body goes into a state of "alright-do-what-you-want-I'll-stop-bothering-you", and you can just keep going for hours on end without any caffeine or "energy drinks", after which you'll need a normal dose of resting and you'll be fine back at work the next day. It takes a lot more than just long days to destroy the human body with fatigue. 

Cheers,

Linus

Its not the sugar he was talking about its all the other crap that's in them that probably did not help.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Sugar isn't that good for you but it isn't going to kill you.

Energy drinks can put a lot of stress on your heart. Now what do you think will happen if you put your body under massive stress by staying up for hours but then fuel that stress with another substance that causes body stress? You're going to have a bad time.

Ye I learnt my lesson that day. But im not a huge energy drink guy. I only drank em coz they were free.

I laugh at everyone stupid enough to tell me "sleep is for the weak."

Lack of sleep can kill you faster than dehydration and lack of food.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Just so you guys know, our asian version of Red Bull is totally different than the western's one. It is non carbonated, only 250ml per can and is bloody sweet like hell. 1 can alone can keep you 'awake' for the whole night. Sometimes there are also version with Longjack which is even more 'potent'. When I was in architecture school, I used to stay awake for almost 70hours non stop (last minute work ;)) and that Red Bull was a saviour.

also, energy drinks thicken your blood

Ye I learnt my lesson that day. But im not a huge energy drink guy. I only drank em coz they were free.

I drink the odd one but I would probably average maybe 2 or 3 per month. I don't see a problem with that. Drinking a couple a day consistently, you're probably f**ked. If feel bad for the people who are sponsored by any of these drinks (especially gamers as they tend to be sitting around a lot). They have to be seen drinking them and get sent crates of the stuff. They're probably f**ked too.