New rumours about new Nvidia GTX cards

According to Tom's Hardware, Nvidia isn't going to release new gaming cards until summer. So, no new cards on GTC/GDC. They also stated that the architecture name will be Turing, not Ampere.

We’ve learned from multiple independent sources that apart from a possible announcement and a rather vague “appetizer,” nothing concrete regarding Nvidia’s next-gen gaming graphics products is likely to be revealed at these (GDC, GTC) shows.

Yeah, this isn't the first time we've heard this, so it is even more likely.

For example, it was already clear from server-industry circles that Ampere, pegged as the successor to Volta, will not (at least initially) get any consumer offshoots. Instead, gamers will feast on cards built on the rumored Turing architecture.

This makes the battle over architecture name even more confusing. One day someone says that the new gaming cards will be named Ampere and then, right the next day, somebody else says it will be Turing instead. :D

Tidbits we’ve heard from various other sources with knowledge of the situation also suggest that the mass production of Turing cards will not start until mid-June, and thus a hard launch of board-partner cards is not expected before July. This should rule out a rollout even at Computex in Taipei in June, although we may see some non-functioning mockups.

It looks more likely that the venue for the big unveiling of Turing-based partner cards will come at Gamescom in August, at which time gamers will be able to get their hands on the them--if the crypto miners don't eat up the supply straight from the factory.

Now, this is interesting. It looks much more likely than the recent rumours from WCCFTech. It also makes sense when you take in mind that Pascal wasn't released on GDC or GTC as well. 

I think that this isn't any big breakthrough, we've already suspected something like this, but it's a nice confirmation of what we know so far. I am just suprised about the name. I was expecting Ampere. On the other hand Reuters also said that gaming GPUs will be called Turing and Gamers Nexus says it too. In the end of the day, I hope that I'll be able to buy one of these cards for reasonable price before the miners buy them all :D

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-graphics-architecture-delayed,36603.html
Reuters calling new GPUs Turing: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nvidia-results-research/frenzied-demand-for-nvidias-graphic-chips-shoot-prices-through-the-roof-idUSKBN1FT2AW  

Gamers Nexus on Turing: https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3241-ask-gn-70-nvidia-turing-best-cpu-coolers

It's unfortunate they may not release Turing or Ampere sooner, I mean not like I have any money to buy a new graphics card any time soon.

Although I think it'd be reasonable to expect 1070 or 1070ti like performance out of the x60 cards so I'm quite intrigued to see how that goes.

Granted the difference isn't incredibly huge, I still wished I would've saved a bit longer for the 480 8GB instead of just going for the 470 4GB. I mean fps differences wouldn't have been too huge and frankly the 470 isn't a bad card just would've been nice to have more vram lol

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

heard a rumor Turing is mining card & Ampere would be a mainstream GTX series. also another rumor saying proceeding with volta on gaming series, perks of wccf journalism infection.

Details separate people.

1 minute ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

heard a rumor Turning is mining card & Ampere would be a mainstream GTX series. also another rumor saying proceeding with volta on gaming series, perks of wccf journalism infection.

Yeah, the naming is confusing. I think that it'll be easier to just wait than guess what the name is going to be

get rid of the black text for darkmode users please!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Hai Nvidia!

I'm cool with the delay but do us a solid: Hardware level lock on compute outside of games for the consumer cards and don't let anyone flash em easily, kthnxbye.

Pls no. 

1. Do you really want 3D modeling hobbyists to have to pay thousands of dollars for a quadro just to render their model in blender?

2. As a hopeful software engineer, I really don’t want to have to go through some bullcrap approval program just to write a program that utilizes cuda.

3. Flashing needs to be made easier, not harder. In pascal it is impossible to change anything in the bios already, including disabling stupid gpu boost 3.0.

4. Any idea on how to actually accomplish what you are proposing?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

All these rumors are getting a bit much. I think i going to just bury my head in the sand til I get an enail from Nvidia announcing it

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

FIX first post for DARK THEME!!! Quotes are barely visible

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Pls no. 

1. Do you really want 3D modeling hobbyists to have to pay thousands of dollars for a quadro just to render their model in blender?

2. As a hopeful software engineer, I really don’t want to have to go through some bullcrap approval program just to write a program that utilizes cuda.

3. Flashing needs to be made easier, not harder. In pascal it is impossible to change anything in the bios already, including disabling stupid gpu boost 3.0.

1.- I want them to buy Quadro cards, yes.

2.- Get a Firepro if you hate cuda then.

3.- No, most consumers need protection from miners, thinkers that worry about gpu boost 3.0 are a tiny minority and having no cards for nobody outside of miners is worst than having a few cheap professionals and NO2 overclockers complain about things.

-------

Current Rig

-------

27 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Hai Nvidia!

I'm cool with the delay but do us a solid: Hardware level lock on compute outside of games for the consumer cards and don't let anyone flash em easily, kthnxbye.

I think there's no way you could make any sensible lock so miners can't mine on gaming cards. Mining uses CUDA as well as gaming, so making a gaming card without CUDA maybe? :D

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

3.- No, most consumers need protection from miners, thinkers that worry about gpu boost 3.0 are a tiny minority and having no cards for nobody outside of miners is worst than having a few cheap professionals and NO2 overclockers complain about things.

They arent going to do that because it would lose them allot of sales, and there isnt much if a reason to, nvidia can supply the gpus just fine, the retailers however, dont buy all that nvidia has in stock for a few reasons.

1: they will get more money per card due to the supply and demand

2: if the market crashes and they have tons of stock that no one wants, it will burn them

3: they dont want to get burned.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

33 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If Nvidia really does remove compute capabilities from their gaming cards, AMD Threadripper would probably be an extremely viable competitor to their Quadro line. As it stands currently, in Blender Cycles, Threadripper is competitive against the mid range lineup as far as GTX cards are concerned, and would certainly handily best anything in the Quadro lineup for $/performance, while still being able to outfit far more RAM.

That said, Nvidia pushed hard to get CUDA to be as widespread as it is. I don't think it is at all realistic for Nvidia to consider locking CUDA and OpenCL (some games use the latter btw) to Quadro and Tesla cards. Even if they did, Compute Shaders are a thing too that could be exploited as a workaround.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

49 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

1. What gives you the right to deny others a graphics card? What makes your games any more worthy than a college student doing 3D modeling on the side just to get by? You have no more right to a graphics card than modelers, renderers, or heck, even miners.

2. How did you get that I hate cuda out of that?

A. I want to use cuda

B. Why should I have to go pay several thousand dollars just so I can add some vectors?

3. If I buy the card, it is mine and I should be able to do what I want with it. That includes flashing custom firmwares and overclocking the crap out of it. NVIDIA has no business telling me what I can and can’t do with hardware that I own.

4. How about you actually answer my 4th point? Here I’ll quote it below for you:

56 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

33 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

They arent going to do that because it would lose them allot of sales, and there isnt much if a reason to, nvidia can supply the gpus just fine, the retailers however, dont buy all that nvidia has in stock for a few reasons.

1: they will get more money per card due to the supply and demand

2: if the market crashes and they have tons of stock that no one wants, it will burn them

3: they dont want to get burned.

Well first, I'd like to clarify that I didn't say they would do this, just that I would like them to bear that in mind.

With that being said, Nvidia makes about as much per card as they do selling to gamers than miners, it's really distributors and stores mostly that benefit from price hikes mostly, maybe AIB partners as well if the rumors of big miners buying direct from them are true.

Nvidia probably wants gamers as their customers more (second only apparently, to fucking cars, but let's leave that for some other topic) because well to give you a quick example: Nvidia outsells AMD in almost 2 to 1 numbers when their products are objectively inferior to AMD gpus. That's how much they make from brand recognition and customer loyalty.

Now will this ultimately mean jackshit if another mining craze explodes in the next few months, soon enough for them to adjust? Probably not: they're a profit seeking entity after all and if the mining business is that good they'd be fools not to start just going direct sales (they sort of have that channel already) and reap far more profits.

But otherwise while they probably won't take any measure as heavy as the one I half-jokingly suggested, they probably will offer a symbolic, token measure to get more cards to gamers.

In reality they'll probably do the smart thing and play both aspects here: claim to be for gamers first and then take better advantage of miners too with a sort of new series of SKUs a sort of "Ghetto Quadro" variant that's basically a consumer grade GPU without monitor ports and otherwise "optimized" for miners and the big part, selling those at a premium or even direct to get in themselves into mining action more directly.

This along with them substantially upping the price of consumer cards (I wouldn't be surprised at all with a 1500 bucks MSRP 2080 and a 1000 bucks MSRP 2070 leaving a 2060 at maybe 400 or 500 for consumers) might get them through with both enough sales and calculated risks to loyal gamers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well first, I'd like to clarify that I didn't say they would do this, just that I would like them to bear that in mind.

With that being said, Nvidia makes about as much per card as they do selling to gamers than miners, it's really distributors and stores mostly that benefit from price hikes mostly, maybe AIB partners as well if the rumors of big miners buying direct from them are true.

Nvidia probably wants gamers as their customers more (second only apparently, to fucking cars, but let's leave that for some other topic) because well to give you a quick example: Nvidia outsells AMD in almost 2 to 1 numbers when their products are objectively inferior to AMD gpus. That's how much they make from brand recognition and customer loyalty.

Now will this ultimately mean jackshit if another mining craze explodes in the next few months, soon enough for them to adjust? Probably not: they're a profit seeking entity after all and if the mining business is that good they'd be fools not to start just going direct sales (they sort of have that channel already) and reap far more profits.

But otherwise while they probably won't take any measure as heavy as the one I half-jokingly suggested, they probably will offer a symbolic, token measure to get more cards to gamers.

In reality they'll probably do the smart thing and play both aspects here: claim to be for gamers first and then take better advantage of miners too with a sort of new series of SKUs a sort of "Ghetto Quadro" variant that's basically a consumer grade GPU without monitor ports and otherwise "optimized" for miners and the big part, selling those at a premium or even direct to get in themselves into mining action more directly.

This along with them substantially upping the price of consumer cards (I wouldn't be surprised at all with a 1500 bucks MSRP 2080 and a 1000 bucks MSRP 2070 leaving a 2060 at maybe 400 or 500 for consumers) might get them through with both enough sales and calculated risks to loyal gamers.

Tl;dr?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Tl;dr?

Or you could just spend 3 minutes reading a post that isn’t really that long.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Tl;dr?

Nvidia really wants gamers instead of miners,but right now has no choice in who their cards sell out to.

New cards might not mean much when miners could buy them up again forcing retailers to inflate prices yet again.

So, what Misanthrope,and plenty of Nvidia's enthusiast audience is wanting are separate card for miners with few or no ports which would also be optimized for mining.

20 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

1. What gives you the right to deny others a graphics card? What makes your games any more worthy than a college student doing 3D modeling on the side just to get by? You have no more right to a graphics card than modelers, renderers, or heck, even miners.

2. How did you get that I hate cuda out of that?

A. I want to use cuda

B. Why should I have to go pay several thousand dollars just so I can add some vectors?

3. If I buy the card, it is mine and I should be able to do what I want with it. That includes flashing custom firmwares and overclocking the crap out of it. NVIDIA has no business telling me what I can and can’t do with hardware that I own.

4. How about you actually answer my 4th point? Here I’ll quote it below for you:

1. Well first hint: the name. Graphic processor units were born to satisfy gamers. It's nice that they've advanced so much their compute horse-power has managed to find them new uses.

Secondary uses are that: secondary. We're seeing the results of an open platform with secondary uses that cheap students, researchers, etc. That can't afford quadro prices lead to: them not being able to get jackshit either because of miners. Segregation is needed and secondary uses will have to suffer, yes that includes students. No you are not entitled to have cheap GPUs for your studies or modelling, you can pay market prices like everybody else and if that means you are forced to use Quadro cards then cry me a river: I don't care, your use is secondary and peripheral to gaming.

2.- You can keep arguing with yourself all you want I'm dropping this point.

3.- Ready point 1: They can if they decide that's the product that they want to sell. Sorry to say but if the only result of the wide openness of the PC gaming market is in danger of imploding under the weight of miners then the PC gaming will not remain a wide open platform for much longer: Nvidia will either force people into a more tightly controlled walled garden for gaming, mining and workstation divisions or business will go to AMD in the form of consoles.

Reality is people want to game and at this rate they'll be forced to do so on Consoles so it's on Nvidia's best interest here to prevent that since they're the only ones without any major stakes on that market, excluding the Switch which is just a start.

4.- You can't force me to discuss something I don't want to discuss.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Tl;dr?

Nvidia will probably say they're for gamers first and do something fancy sounding to get cards to gamers but also will target miners directly now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On 3/2/2018 at 2:22 PM, Misanthrope said:

Nvidia will probably say they're for gamers first and do something fancy sounding to get cards to gamers but also will target miners directly now.

Literally 0 problem for this

On 3/2/2018 at 2:19 PM, Blademaster91 said:

Nvidia really wants gamers instead of miners,but right now has no choice in who their cards sell out to.

New cards might not mean much when miners could buy them up again forcing retailers to inflate prices yet again.

So, what Misanthrope,and plenty of Nvidia's enthusiast audience is wanting are separate card for miners with few or no ports which would also be optimized for mining.

They wouldnt buy it with no ports most likely, resale is still a big part of mining

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If Nvidia really does remove compute capabilities from their gaming cards, AMD Threadripper would probably be an extremely viable competitor to their Quadro line. As it stands currently, in Blender Cycles, Threadripper is competitive against the mid range lineup as far as GTX cards are concerned, and would certainly handily best anything in the Quadro lineup for $/performance, while still being able to outfit far more RAM.

That said, Nvidia pushed hard to get CUDA to be as widespread as it is. I don't think it is at all realistic for Nvidia to consider locking CUDA and OpenCL (some games use the latter btw) to Quadro and Tesla cards. Even if they did, Compute Shaders are a thing too that could be exploited as a workaround.

This is why I think the rumors of the Ghetto Quadro SKUs are quite possible: Market them for Students and Workstation users on a budget (a.k.a. People that can live without ECC and double precision among other things) and selling those mostly to miners while that market is solid.

If Ethereum falls off a cliff then that's still a risk but if they market their Ghetto Quadro SKUs right then they might not loose as much from that potential crash.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

They wouldnt buy it with no ports most likely, resale is still a big part of mining

If miners were forced to used mining specific cards,they could just sell them to other miners. Nvidia targeting miners instead of gamers will just hurt their main audience of gamers.

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

This is why I think the rumors of the Ghetto Quadro SKUs are quite possible: Market them for Students and Workstation users on a budget (a.k.a. People that can live without ECC and double precision among other things) and selling those mostly to miners while that market is solid.

If Ethereum falls off a cliff then that's still a risk but if they market their Ghetto Quadro SKUs right then they might not loose as much from that potential crash.

Nvidia making a lesser Quadro SKU would help everyone else that wants or needs to buy a GTX series card,but as long as RAM is in a shortage wouldn't it cause GPU supply to be more strained and even more expensive?

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

If miners were forced to used mining specific cards,they could just sell them to other miners.

Nvidia making a lesser Quadro SKU would help everyone else that wants or needs to buy a GTX series card,but as long as RAM is in a shortage wouldn't it cause GPU supply to be more strained and even more expensive?

It is a problem for the high end products yes, but not for the more entry level ones: 3gb it's still kind of ok for the 1060 and 4gb would be ok to "ride out" ram issues for the time being.

-------

Current Rig

-------