Ad network uses advanced malware technique to conceal CPU-draining mining ads

2FA

I have so many extensions now just for staying a little safer online and a little more private. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

If I'm reading correctly, there is still a weakness to the method they use. They have to serve you the ad in the first place before any of that domain shenanigans takes place. If they're selling ads, I'm not sure if it would be easy for the site using the ads to reference constantly changing domains, so the ad company would still have a fixed presence up front, and that can continue to be blocked. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know what a PWM type system is but just as I've said before, they crawl the internet all the time to classify sites, scripts and applications as malicious or not (cloud protection). I know that malware made sophisticated can slip past an anti-virus, my anti-virus program has never failed me in blocking mining scripts.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.e523640a6a1f4bf778fd35b50f066ed6.pngimage.png.413332d116987b9687e18a872a9a4508.png

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation. 

The idea here in electronics is rather than adjust power via altering amperage or voltage, you apply a full power pulse briefly, many times a second. Adjusting the frequency and duration of the pulses will, in effect, control power. Electric motors are the most common application. LEDs may also use PMW to control brightness in DC circuits.

Applied to malicious mining scripts, where cpu load rapidly fluctuates between full and very minimal, it may be possible to reduce heat output and potentially even fool monitoring tools.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

12 hours ago, bob51zhang said:

The problem is that every website that isn't made in 2005 seems to crap out because they use JS for everything now.

That's what a whitelist is for.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

4 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't know what a PWM type system is but just as I've said before, they crawl the internet all the time to classify sites, scripts and applications as malicious or not (cloud protection). I know that malware made sophisticated can slip past an anti-virus, my anti-virus program has never failed me in blocking mining scripts.

Hide contents

image.png.e523640a6a1f4bf778fd35b50f066ed6.pngimage.png.413332d116987b9687e18a872a9a4508.png

PWM - pulse width modification e.g. 50% Mining, 50% sleeping. Not the correct terminology but gives an alright description.

The idea would be that the script sleeps randomly for some percentage of the time in order to disguise itself as a generic script.  If a process were to max out one or more cores than this would be suspicious an a sample could be submitted , if it were using e.g. 10% of the CPU one could assume it is just a heavy script and would have to wait for a random sample submission in order for the script to be discovered as a mining script.

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation. 

The idea here in electronics is rather than adjust power via altering amperage or voltage, you apply a full power pulse briefly, many times a second. Adjusting the frequency and duration of the pulses will, in effect, control power. Electric motors are the most common application. LEDs may also use PMW to control brightness in DC circuits.

Applied to malicious mining scripts, where cpu load rapidly fluctuates between full and very minimal, it may be possible to reduce heat output and potentially even fool monitoring tools.

Your CPU also uses PWM - it sends pulses of a voltage over the semiconductor threshold and those are registered as 1s. Pretty much any IC does so, your VRMs use it as well.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

Your CPU also uses PWM - it sends pulses of a voltage over the semiconductor threshold and those are registered as 1s. Pretty much any IC does so, your VRMs use it as well.

Yeah, I thought as much, though I'm not familiar enough with cpu design to really say. Thank you.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just block the functions that it needs to do crypto operations, or instate a quota where if its exceeded then it gets blocked.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

8 hours ago, kiska3 said:

In the tone of "Your call could not be connected. Please check the number and try again"

"Your browser could notI know, but  load Sydney trains timetable, please check your browser settings and try again. JS not found"

Pretty much Sydney trains site is full of js interactivity

I know, but they don't have to,  remember back in the day when mobile internet was just becoming a thing and you had websites set up specifically for WAP enabled phones?  Companies can have really basic sites setup for basic browsing.  It literally just needs a header (or something) that redirected if you were using a full functioning browser because the dumb one can't redirect.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.