iamdarkyoshi's Stupid CPU Cooler Challenge

Your goal is to cool a desktop CPU in the most stupid way you can. Somewhat inspired by LTT's sketchy heatsink videos. (Posted in liquid and exotic cooling since I'm sure we'll see some weirder solutions come up, maybe even involving water)

RULES:

It must handle aida64 for 5 minutes without throttling.

You can choose pretty much any CPU you want, as long as its a standard socketed desktop chip (No intel atom motherboards lol)

You've got to run it at stock clocks, voltage, etc. Throw it in a motherboard, reset bios, and those are the specs to roll with.

Here's my first entry:

Sempron 150, 8GB DDR3, Asus M4A78LT-M

Heatsink: An AMD Phenom CPU turned upside down, with a 40mm fan on top

DSC_1251.thumb.JPG.70c4bd9874174a1ac5bdb09c04db45f5.JPG

DSC_1250.thumb.JPG.6abee030feb8d2a7ddf09db40442b417.JPG

5 min of Aida64:

DSC_1252.thumb.JPG.2384e58ba9b794cabd8f9917e12fd25f.JPG

I'd love to see what you guys can come up with! This is more for fun than anything. Considering I've waterproofed a laptop before, maybe the next step is submurged water cooling xD

I think the craziest one I’ve done is a can of Pelligrino (spelling) with enough thermal adhesive to put it on whatever Clarksdale chip it was. Needless to say that sparkling water and electronics don’t mix well. 

Also, they really do mean “adhesive”.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Me:

Sounds fun!  I think I'll do a waterblock with no loop!

6950x:

Why not use two waterblocks in a loop without a radiator and mount a CPU cooler to the underside of other block? It'd probably actually work

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Take a VRM heatsink or two and blow air on them with a Honeywell fan/box fan, something household.

I tried a chipset heatsink with the same 40mm fan, it stayed under 70C

IMG_20180226_000332.thumb.jpg.d9b720a7b149109182ca7468d753f83c.jpg

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Why not use two waterblocks in a loop without a radiator and mount a CPU cooler to the underside of other block? It'd probably actually work

I actually got goosebumps thinking of this.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Watercooling, but not as you know it...

C7D_8056_1024.jpg

i5-5675C

I left it running for several hours before the water got rather hot.

I'll have to have a bit of a think and see how I can top that...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I tried a chipset heatsink with the same 40mm fan, it stayed under 70C

IMG_20180226_000332.thumb.jpg.d9b720a7b149109182ca7468d753f83c.jpg

I mean that is all a CPU cooler was when I got into computers.  A small aluminum heatsink like that with a 40mm fan on it was about the norm. We were hotrodding when we stuck 60mm fans to the original heatsinks...

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

6 hours ago, MandicReally said:

I mean that is all a CPU cooler was when I got into computers.  A small aluminum heatsink like that with a 40mm fan on it was about the norm. We were hotrodding when we stuck 60mm fans to the original heatsinks...

Oh I do remember those days xD

Hm, what if you set up the PC in a vacuum chamber so you could drop the pressure enough to bring the boiling point of water down to, say, 50 C (but really I suppose you could use whatever you want), and then setup a hose to just drip one drop onto the heatsink every now and then, which would be removed by boiling it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I know my idea, but I'm definitely not going to do it with my desktop (i7 6700). I'll take a Stirling engine, set it on top of the cpu, and use dry ice on top of the engine. Free power off a cpu!

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

1. A cup of tea doesn't do the job

2. Reversed the CPU cooler on GPU idea...also beer to help secure it on top as i can mount it with screws so the pressure has to do

Sadly i don't have a spare PSU for now but maybe i find one in the trash so I can see if this works...sadly i think i'll have to cool the GPU with the Intel stock cooler

Such cooling.jpeg

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

10 hours ago, TheRandomness said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5979e881afe1bce825f11ebfe5fb45b0.png

image.png.15f5c8f2ed72e1ca24c9ceb510fb2cca.png

So I have this.

At that point I start to question how does that increase the surface area and not just create more thermal insulation. Try the same without the upside down CPU :P

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

7 hours ago, Tam3n said:

At that point I start to question how does that increase the surface area and not just create more thermal insulation. Try the same without the upside down CPU :P

Because the PCB gets warm and acts as a heatsink :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

What about a cheeseburger? 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

9 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Because the PCB gets warm and acts as a heatsink :P

try it with a non-LGA CPU for dat surface area of the pins lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Don't have any other PGA CPUs :P

oh :(

What about the one you are cooling?  Just have these two trade places :P

out of curiosity and with no desire to try it my self. what about a high powered floor/desk/standing fan pointing directly at the CPU as close as you can get it and no heatsink?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh :(

What about the one you are cooling?  Just have these two trade places :P

Look at the socket underneath, then look at the size of the CPUsink :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Look at the socket underneath, then look at the size of the CPUsink :P

I know you;ll need a different board xD but given the opportunity...

A socket G34 board is about £150.

oh wow, I would not have expected that for something so old

1 hour ago, Sierra Fox said:

out of curiosity and with no desire to try it my self. what about a high powered floor/desk/standing fan pointing directly at the CPU as close as you can get it and no heatsink?

I tried it with an 8,000RPM 40mm fan, it was able to keep my semperon from overheating, but I never put a load on it, just left it in the BIOS.

They make 40mm fans that run at damn near 30,000RPM... h m m m