The first headphones with a built in iPhone charger adapter appears.

Skanky Sylveon

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/15/17016504/built-in-dongle-headphone-jack-cheero-earphones-charging-dock

Alright, sensationalized title aside, this is apparently the first pair of headphones that have a built in charger adapter.

So you don't need an extra dongle lying around.

headphones2.0.png.jpg.e23a5475d8f68cfc8d5de902578849c1.jpg

a pair of Lightning headphones with a second, integrated Lightning dongle for charging the phone while listening to music

This was the LEAST biased sentence of the entire article.  The rest of the article states things like "chimerical monster" and "hybrid horror".

Or my favorite, "cursed half-existence that is dongle life".

I'll be frank, I don't like the dongle crap either, but I found it amusing just how much the writer was against the idea of a pair of headphones with a built in charging port.

I mean, pocket lint aside, this would be a fairly convenient solution, if a bit inelegant.

But don't get me wrong, I hate the removal of the headphone jack, but the company that made these headphones isn't to blame, they are just adapting to Apple's (and everyone else in this monkey see, monkey do industry) stupid changes.

Now if you don't mind, I need to make some more blood sacrifices.  To appease the dongle gods, and possibly reverse this travesty.

Wow. Just wow.

I mean, it certainly solves a problem (that was artificially created). However, even if I were to buy an iPhone 7 or 8, I would rather have the separate adapter over this.

Personally, I hope that Apple brings back the 3.5mm jack. I doubt they will, but it would be nice. I could live without it, because I rarely listen to my headphones on the iPhone (Mostly just in the car via Bluetooth or via the direct link MDI cable). But I would definitely prefer to have a 3.5mm jack.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

But companies want to abandon the 3.5mm jack... Why not make a phone with two type C ports, or in the case of the iphone, 2 lightning ports?

While I would prefer a separate 3.5 mm jack, i'm OK with this.

Not to mention that this solution would be great for those who have some USB OTG adapters/products.

Such as this.

41C-wSrv+gL._SL1000_.jpg

0C9A2937-Edit-Edit.thumb.jpg.9c18171e9b102bbeb7f14cbb520af79a.jpg

Psh, this is all wrong. Clearly the most portable setup is an amp/dac w/ a headphone jack AND a huge battery. Amateurs.

Cable is a bit short isn't it? xD

Or is wearing an iphone as a necklace the new trend?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Or is wearing an iphone as a necklace the new trend?

unless you wear it as a choker it still seems short for that

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Why in the seven seas is this a thing... If Apple just kept the headphone jack, this would never be necessary. 

The best route Apple could take right now is to do two variants of a new phone and see who buys the headphone jack version VS the non headphone jack version. If they're smart, they'll see how silly it is, and how silly it's gotten. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 hour ago, tp95112 said:

I fear if there was ever any problems with them, you are going to zap your ears

It would most likely blow the speakers long before the electricity reaches your ears, but that would be LOUD.

So you're fucked either way.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

47 minutes ago, Rune said:

Why does their render look like the cable is a few inches short?

Perhaps the render's short to show off the dongle?

24 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

The best route Apple could take right now is to repeatedly smash their heads against the wall.

FTFY

1 hour ago, Hiitchy said:

Why in the seven seas is this a thing... If Apple just kept the headphone jack, this would never be necessary. 

The best route Apple could take right now is to do two variants of a new phone and see who buys the headphone jack version VS the non headphone jack version. If they're smart, they'll see how silly it is, and how silly it's gotten. 

They would never do that, it would be so counter to their personality and image.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They would never do that, it would be so counter to their personality and image.

Not to mention that even if the actual physical cost of a second model like that wasn't particularly large (Maybe, 10 cents more for a headphone jack? Maybe a few bucks total for all the required analog hardware?), there would be huge costs in a domino effect, for them to market, sell, distribute, design, machine, and organize two different versions of the same phone.

Of course, they already go through those costs when they sell the same phone with different Storage options, different colours, etc, but I doubt they would feel it was worth the investment to offer a headphone jack version.

Apple would only go back to a Headphone jack iPhone if the market as a whole took a sudden and unexpected turn where people stopped buying jackless phones.

And, frankly, that just won't happen.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Brilliant. 10/10

you-nailed-it.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

This is what you have to resort to when a company decides that something that's been around for decades and working perfectly fine for EVERYTHING needs to be changed so they can sell more proprietary hardware and not have a good fix for the fuckup they created...

FacethroughPalm.png

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

10 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

This is what you have to resort to when a company decides that something that's been around for decades and working perfectly fine for EVERYTHING needs to be changed so they can sell more proprietary hardware and not have a good fix for the fuckup they created...

The 3.5 mm jack lasted so long because they were incredibly robust, there was no need to replace them.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

However, even if I were to buy an iPhone 7 or 8, I would rather have the separate adapter over this.

i agree.  this has a bit dangling off being stupid every time your not charging it. it would just get in the way and most likely get damaged really quick.  i'd rather have a separate dongle for when i need to charge it, rather than just there all the time

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

The 3.5 mm jack lasted so long because they were incredibly robust, there was no need to replace them.

Indeed - removing the headphone jack does nothing to improve the audio experience.

1. All smartphones already have bluetooth. Removing the headphone jack doesn't help that.

2. All smartphones have speakers (for... ya know... calling people), which means the phone has a DAC built into it anyway, so you're not saving cost or space by removing the DAC.

3. Having a "digital" connection to the headphones is not a benefit. You're just adding an extra DAC into the headphones themselves. One that may or may not even be better than the integrated DAC (which we already established must exist still). Speakers are analogue technology by definition.

4. Other smartphones have a headphone jack and water resistance, so removing the port is an excuse, not a proper reason, for getting better IP ratings.

The argument that this will force companies into innovating more bluetooth wireless headphones, etc, is stupid. There are lots of wireless headphones/earbuds, etc, already. And some good ones. But a wired connection is inherently better for quality.

The only benefit to removing the headphone jack is the extremely minor amount of space savings, which in my opinion, is unjustified, due to how minuscule we're talking.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

All smartphones have speakers (for... ya know... calling people), which means the phone has a DAC built into it anyway, so you're not saving cost or space by removing the DAC.

Not to mention, including an extra DAC in a pair of headphones would increase headphone cost.

Some people have stated that it would encourage the use of external DACs, which would increase the audio quality.

The problem with that, is there was no stopping those who owned a phone WITH a headphone jack, from doing just that.

dragonfly-iphone.0.jpg

The Dragonfly is a common DAC for that application, and look, it seems like that iPhone has a headphone jack.

If Apple truly wanted to encourage this, they would have had two USB ports, not one.

4 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have a remarkable solution on my phone, its a seperate 3.5mm jack and USB C port

But companies want to abandon the 3.5mm jack... Why not make a phone with two type C ports, or in the case of the iphone, 2 lightning ports?

You'd at least be able to charge and listen without this article's absurd product!

The idea is not replace a port with another one (makes no sense at this time and age), but to remove cables once for all. The future is wire-less, what you propose is a dated idea. We should be looking forward to new wireless technologies, not the other way around.

A solution I already use is charging my phone and plugging in my "lightning" earpods.

Just now, abazigal said:

The idea is not replace a port with another one (makes no sense at this time and age), but to remove cables once for all. The future is wire-less, what you propose is a dated idea. We should be looking forward to new wireless technologies, not the other way around.

I can't stand wireless periperals. They seperately need to be charged, require more processing power to run, and cost more.

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Not to mention, including an extra DAC in a pair of headphones would increase headphone cost.

Some people have stated that it would encourage the use of external DACs, which would increase the audio quality.

The problem with that, is there was no stopping those who owned a phone WITH a headphone jack, from doing just that.

dragonfly-iphone.0.jpg

The Dragonfly is a common DAC for that application, and look, it seems like that iPhone has a headphone jack.

If Apple truly wanted to encourage this, they would have had two USB ports, not one.

Agreed - not to mention, forcing everyone to use an external DAC would also be bad. They add extra length and clutter that not everyone wants to deal with.

Having the option to jack into the 3.5mm port, or plug in an external DAC, or use Bluetooth, or use a Lightning headphone cable w/ integrated DAC, etc, should be the standard, not the exception.

None of these options are mutually exclusive.

2 minutes ago, abazigal said:

Why? Explain that. Aside from convenience, why?

Will wireless give me a better quality sound? No. AT BEST, it might be able to match that of a wired cable, but that's making a lot of assumptions that won't hold true.

Making the tech wireless means that headphones now need to have an integrated DAC. This will increase cost of the headphones, as now the manufacturer has to pay for a DAC in addition to all other components.

Not all DAC's are equal, and to save cost, they may well use a shitty DAC. Not to mention, my smartphone already has a DAC inside.

7 minutes ago, abazigal said:

Yes the "future" may wireless But that's just it. The FUTURE. We are nowhere near ready to go fully wireless with our tech anyway. Forcing this on us will not improve that.

To much interference, quality that is measurably worse (notice that almost all high end headphones are wired. There's a reason for that), it's just another device you need to charge which is hated a lot as there are so many you need to nowadays. The "savings" in removing it is not worthwhile as you now have to add other tech which may or may not be far more expensive to replace it.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!