2 monitor setup with laptop

MoeDee

I have no idea how this works and i am pretty sure this doesnt work but by any miracle is there any way that if i buy a monitor (cuz i use a laptop) have like a 2 monitor setup so i could game on the external monitor and the laptop monitor would be just like a thing in case i need to do something while in the game and dont have to minimize the game and if i do can i use synergy or not.

you can use Synergy or Input director or some similar app, works pretty good tbh.  i have used both of the programs mentioned and Synergy is unpolished as all hell so id say go for input director, only thing is that there is slightly more input lag

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, RollinLower said:

if you have your games in windowed mode you can just Alt-Tab out of them and do whatever you want to do on your laptop's screen :)

i know and i do do that but i was just curious if i can do that

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

you can use Synergy or Input director or some similar app, works pretty good tbh.  i have used both of the programs mentioned and Synergy is unpolished as all hell so id say go for input director, only thing is that there is slightly more input lag

but will the 2 monitor thing work with my laptop screen and external monitor cuz if i use a dvi/hdmi cable to connect isnt it gonna basically stream whats happening on the laptop screen onto the monitor.

1 minute ago, MoeDee said:

but will the 2 monitor thing work with my laptop screen and external monitor cuz if i use a dvi/hdmi cable to connect isnt it gonna basically stream whats happening on the laptop screen onto the monitor.

oh i mis read what you were on about, you can just connect it up and it will act as an external monitor just like if you plugged it into any desktop PC

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

you know how people or streamers have like 2 monitors connedted to one pc so they can use one for gaming and the other one to supervise chat i wanna do something like that is that possible with a laptop.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

oh i mis read what you were on about, you can just connect it up and it will act as an external monitor just like if you plugged it into any desktop PC

so if i connect the monitor to my laptop wont it be streaming whatever is happening on my laptop or will it be like an external monitor and on my laptop screen nothing will be happening.

Just now, MoeDee said:

so if i connect the monitor to my laptop wont it be streaming whatever is happening on my laptop or will it be like an external monitor and on my laptop screen nothing will be happening.

you can set the screen to be just what you want. the monitor will just act as a second screen.

1 minute ago, MoeDee said:

its just going to give you more desktop space to work with unless you configure it to do something else in windows

Builds:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, MoeDee said:

I have no idea how this works and i am pretty sure this doesnt work but by any miracle is there any way that if i buy a monitor (cuz i use a laptop) have like a 2 monitor setup so i could game on the external monitor and the laptop monitor would be just like a thing in case i need to do something while in the game and dont have to minimize the game and if i do can i use synergy or not.

Yeah you can hook a monitor up to the laptop and game on the second screen as long as you have and HDMI or similar on the laptop to hook it up. it would be just like having a desktop with 2 monitors just a little more awkward keyboard placement and or screen size differences.

3 minutes ago, MoeDee said:

When you goto the display settings you can set it up however you want.

You can set it to mirror your laptop screen so both show the same thing.

you can set it two dual monitors 

You can set it to display only on the Monitor only aswell.

you can also adjust this quickly by just holding windows key and P

1 minute ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

When you goto the display settings you can set it up however you want.

You can set it to mirror your laptop screen so both show the same thing.

you can set it two dual monitors 

You can set it to display only on the Monitor only aswell.

you can also adjust this quickly by just holding windows key and P

can u explain what each of them do. wait nevermind i got it

2 minutes ago, MoeDee said:

can u explain what each of them do.

Mirror shows the Same Image on both laptop and second screen

Extend option Shows two seperate screens you can use  ( This is what your looking for) 

Projector mode Shows only the Monitor and not the laptop screen ( Goes black) 

Its very simple just get a monitor that has the same connection as your laptop HDMI is probably what you have 

1 minute ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Mirror shows the Same Image on both laptop and second screen

Extend option Shows two seperate screens you can use  ( This is what your looking for) 

Projector mode Shows only the Monitor and not the laptop screen ( Goes black) 

Its very simple just get a monitor that has the same connection as your laptop HDMI is probably what you have 

i have a probook 6460 b so idk which hdmi type i have but i do have dvi so is it possible with dvi

7 minutes ago, MoeDee said:

i have a probook 6460 b so idk which hdmi type i have but i do have dvi so is it possible with dvi

Yeah DVI works just get a monitor with DVI in the back its pretty common. They also have DVI to HDMI adapters for less then $5 if you really had to 

A laptop is just like a desktop, it will allow up to 1 to 2 external monitors plugged into their video out ports, that's either DP, HDMI, or VGA. Once plugged in just hit Win+P. Some new laptop can support external monitors through USB Type C or Thunderbolt 3 with a adapter.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

30 minutes ago, MoeDee said:

It depends on the laptop. My laptop doesn't support more than 2 displays, including the laptop display itself so I can only connect one external display. Although newer laptops are likely to support more displays.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, MoeDee said:

Are you sure that your laptop has DVI? It's a lot more common for laptops to have VGA and HDMI

s-l300.jpg

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

5 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

Are you sure that your laptop has DVI? It's a lot more common for laptops to have VGA and HDMI

s-l300.jpg

i dont know the difference between them and someone else told me that my lapto had dvi evne though i said its vga he was tryna prove me wrong, funny thinig he is doing computer engineering so i can shrek him whenever i meet him now 

1 hour ago, MoeDee said:

i dont know the difference between them and someone else told me that my lapto had dvi evne though i said its vga he was tryna prove me wrong, funny thinig he is doing computer engineering so i can shrek him whenever i meet him now 

I mean it's possible that you have DVI, but it's not common. And the quick google search for the model of your laptop doesn't give me the final answer. 

HP_Probook_6460B_6__51413.1503327343.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

If this is your laptop then the that black connector at the back is VGA

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

3 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

I mean it's possible that you have DVI, but it's not common. And the quick google search for the model of your laptop doesn't give me the final answer. 

HP_Probook_6460B_6__51413.1503327343.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

If this is your laptop then the that black connector at the back is VGA

that is my laptop and btw thanks for the help.