Which would be a better choice? Xbox one X or PS4 Pro?

Cyberspirit

Hey, I've been thinking about getting a console for a long time now ever since I discovered the Yakuza series and, now that Monster Hunter World came out, I think there's a decent reason for me to get a console.

The question is which and why?

So, since I know close to nothing about consoles, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me why one would be a better choice over the other.

Also, I know that MH World will be coming to PC this autumn but, that's really far away and I'm a bit too excited at the moment to resist getting one.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

PS4 has better exclusives such as Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us and Uncharted series

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

PS4 has better exclusives such as Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us and Uncharted series

This, PS4 has the better library of games plus with the latest update (expected in Feb some time) the PS4 Pro will be capable of super sampling for users who don't have a 4K TVs.

Xbox One X is technically superior but the platform is lacking when it comes to games and especially exclusive games.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'd get the Xbox One X, but that's because my friends play on Xbox and I hate the Playstation controller.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Depends on what exclusive titles you want to play.

I also think PS4 has better exclusives. But with XBox there are some titles you can play on PC too with 'XBox Play Anywhere'. 

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

Only reason I bought a ps4 was for the last of us

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

Only reason I bought a ps4 was for the last of us

You're really missing out if you don't get Horizon Zero Dawn, probably the game I enjoyed most in all of 2017.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

17 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This, PS4 has the better library of games plus with the latest update (expected in Feb some time) the PS4 Pro will be capable of super sampling for users who don't have a 4K TVs.

Xbox One X is technically superior but the platform is lacking when it comes to games and especially exclusive games.

How worse does the PS4 Pro perform? Can it hit a consistent 60 FPS on at least 1080p with demanding games?

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd get the Xbox One X, but that's because my friends play on Xbox and I hate the Playstation controller.

Honestly, I never used a PS controller so, I'm not sure how they feel but, I own an Xbox One controller and it is pretty comfortable. 

As for friends, the few I have only play on PC so, that's not a dealbreaker for me.

9 minutes ago, Limecat86 said:

Depends on what exclusive titles you want to play.

I also think PS4 has better exclusives. But with XBox there are some titles you can play on PC too with 'XBox Play Anywhere'. 

Does the XBox Play anywhere just port or emulate XBox only games on PC or what's that about?

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You're really missing out if you don't get Horizon Zero Dawn, probably the game I enjoyed most in all of 2017.

I tried it, didnt like it

The geek himself.

19 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

How worse does the PS4 Pro perform? Can it hit a consistent 60 FPS on at least 1080p with demanding games?

It's a console, these days you get lucky if you get a steady 30FPS...

4 minutes ago, PLME888 said:

It's a console, these days you get lucky if you get a steady 30FPS...

I thought the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X were supposed to be the strongest yet that can actually deliver 60FPS. :|

57 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Most likely get a PS4 for the cheaper online, though it sounds like an Xbone will be fine too and is usually pretty cheap unless you really want one of the PS4 exclusives, personally I can't think of a single thing I need a console for though.

10 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I thought the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X were supposed to be the strongest yet that can actually deliver 60FPS. :|

The console CPUs are still way too slow to reliably do 60fps in those cases, once the next gen consoles are on Ryzen APUs that won't be an issue anymore.

Though the XboneX is still currently the most powerful console

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Actually, I just read that apparently, the PS4 Pro is extremely loud. Do you guys know anything about that?

If it's not louder than my PC then, I'd be fine with it but, in most videos, it sounds like a hairdryer.

25 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Should really just stick to the normal PS4, the pro appears to be a joke unless you really want PS VR

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Yakuza seems to be a PlayStation exclusive, so if you definitely want to play it, that rules Xboxes out.

I'll leave a few pointers about Xbox in case Yakuza isn't the sole deciding factor. Please note that with both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 online multiplayer is locked behind a subscription: $9.99/month, $24.99/3 months or $59.99/year. Both subscriptions however grant you monthly games to keep as long as your subscription is active, in Xbox's case it's two games for One and two backwards compatible 360 games, the latter you get to play even after your subscription ends. Number of games you get for PS4 varies, but is generally around 3-5. Both platforms have Rewards programs available, but those tend to be rather restricted.

Xbox Game Pass ($9.99 / month) is a subscription service for games, on top of it's current over 100 titles it's said to include new exclusives as they come. Another similar subscription service available on Xbox is the EA Access ($4.99 / month or $29.99 / year), doing what Game Pass does but limited to EA titles. Both services let you download full games to your console, in contrast to Sony's focus on streaming based services.

Microsoft is continuously building up One's backwards compatible library, currently including around 460 titles from 360 and 13 titles from the original Xbox. This works with both discs and digital downloads. Xbox also has "Play Anywhere" titles which come with both Xbox One and PC copy of the game (works with Microsoft Store on PC side).

On technical side, note that both base Xbox One and One S are weaker than base PlayStation 4, while One X tops everything else. Most noteworthy hardware quirk of One might be their HDMI pass through. All One models are very quiet, and both S and X finally come with an internal PSU. If Kinect is something you have been thinking about, you should note that the dedicated proprietary port was removed since S came out, and adaptors are sold separately. The Snap feature might also be something you come across while reading about Xbox, that's entirely gone by now.

I don't have a PlayStation 4 nor do I actively follow news about it, and I won't bother guessing, hence the very one sided post.

Not counting Monster Hunter, which you could get on either console:

Reasons for a PC gamer to get a PS4:

1. Bloodborne

2. Persona 5

3. Red Dead Redemption 2

4. Yakuza 0

5. Yakuza Kiwami (remake of Yakuza 1)

6. Yakuza 6

7. Horizon Zero Dawn

8. The Last of Us Remastered

9. Uncharted 4

10. Uncharted 1-3 Remastered (Nathan Drake Collection)

11. Shadow of the Colossus remake

12. God of War 

13. God of War III Remastered

14. Days Gone

15. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix

16. Kingdom Hearts 3

17. The Last of Us Part II

18. Death Stranding

19. Ratchet & Clank

20. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

21. Dragon's Crown

22. Catherine

Reasons for a PC gamer to get an XBox One:

1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Kingdom Hearts 3

Yakuza Kiwmai 2 (PS4 remake of Yakuza 2) will probably come out eventually in the US too, as it has already been released in Japan. Though the one I really want is Yakuza Ishin.

Oh I forgot backward compatibility with the XBox One. So you could play the original Red Dead Redemption's 360 version on XB1. Or the original XBox classic Ninja Gaiden Black. Or Gears of War 2 & 3. But most of the best 360 games are on PC also.

5 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

They're both pretty cpu bound since they use low end Jaguar cores. 30 fps is the target for most large games.

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Should really just stick to the normal PS4, the pro appears to be a joke unless you really want PS VR

Every once in a while you get a game that's way better on Pro. For instance, Shadow of the Colossus plays at 1080p60 on the Pro but 1080p30 on the OG PS4/Slim. But that's a game that makes almost no demand of the cpu since the world is so empty. At current prices I'd probably pick the Pro but only because the Slim seems really overpriced right now at $300 (vs Pro at $400). I bought the Slim because I got it for $220 and it came with a $60 game I badly wanted (Uncharted 4), so it was $220 vs $460 and at that difference the Slim bundle was a no-brainer.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not counting Monster Hunter, which you could get on either console:

Reasons for a PC gamer to get a PS4:

1. Bloodborne

2. Persona 5

3. Red Dead Redemption 2

4. Yakuza 0

5. Yakuza Kiwami (remake of Yakuza 1)

6. Yakuza 6

7. Horizon Zero Dawn

8. The Last of Us Remastered

9. Uncharted 4

10. Uncharted 1-3 Remastered (Nathan Drake Collection)

11. Shadow of the Colossus remake

12. God of War 

13. God of War III Remastered

14. Days Gone

15. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 Remix

16. Kingdom Hearts 3

17. The Last of Us Part II

18. Death Stranding

19. Ratchet & Clank

20. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

21. Dragon's Crown

22. Catherine

Reasons for a PC gamer to get an XBox One:

1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Kingdom Hearts 3

Yakuza Kiwmai 2 (PS4 remake of Yakuza 2) will probably come out eventually in the US too, as it has already been released in Japan. Though the one I really want is Yakuza Ishin.

Red Dead 2 will come to the Playstation too.  I agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread too, heaps of reasons for a PC gamer to have a PS4.  The Last of Us is my all time favorite game and Part II is coming at the end of this year or early next year, Uncharted is an amazing franchise also.  Pretty much anything of interest on an X-Box you can just get on your PC anyway. 

39 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

Red Dead 2 will come to the Playstation too.  I agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread too, heaps of reasons for a PC gamer to have a PS4.  The Last of Us is my all time favorite game and Part II is coming at the end of this year or early next year, Uncharted is an amazing franchise also.  Pretty much anything of interest on an X-Box you can just get on your PC anyway. 

I included RDR2 for both systems, since it should be a system seller for each. But yeah, XBox and Windows are nearly the same platform when it comes to game selection. You get a few games like NieR Automata and Ni No Kuni II that come to Windows but not XBox and a few like RDR2 and Kingdom Hearts 3 that come to XBox but not Windows, but the overlap between the two systems is enormous. It's so large I wouldn't pay even $100 for an XBox One X if you made me sign a contract saying I couldn't resell, trade, or give it away.

10 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, I've been thinking about getting a console for a long time now ever since I discovered the Yakuza series and, now that Monster Hunter World came out, I think there's a decent reason for me to get a console.

So, since I know close to nothing about consoles, I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me why one would be a better choice over the other.

Also, I know that MH World will be coming to PC this autumn but, that's really far away and I'm a bit too excited at the moment to resist getting one.

Id get Xbox One X, the controller and network services are better, is more powerful and stable, has a faster HDD (Its actually a 7200RPM SSHD). And while PlaySation has had better exclusives recently, rumors say that it might change. Xbox renewed the Scalebound IP, are working on a ton of games for the coming 2 years and its been said that they might buy Valve, EA and BlueHole.

You get PlayAnywhere, Deals With Gold and better services.

IT HAS CUPHEAD AND HALO!!!

(I play on PC, and also on One X )

19 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

You answered the question yourself already.

Yakuza is PS4 exclusive, AFAIR.

And there are also other things. While with the XBox you can play most of that stuff with a PC...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, DanielMDA said:

Id get Xbox One X, the controller and network services are better, is more powerful and stable, has a faster HDD (Its actually a 7200RPM SSHD). And while PlaySation has had better exclusives recently, rumors say that it might change. Xbox renewed the Scalebound IP, are working on a ton of games for the coming 2 years and its been said that they might buy Valve, EA and BlueHole.

You get PlayAnywhere, Deals With Gold and better services.

1. The Hardware of a Console is irrelevant! 

Because its the games you want to play that count. NOTHING ELSE!
To argue with "better Hardware" is just stupid. You can't buy shit for it if you can't play the games you want to!!

And that's why I regret buying the 360 back in 2010 or so instead of the PS3 because the PS3 had many more games I'd like to play...

Like Ni no Kuni...

2. You should mention that you could put a SSD inside the PS4, you just need a 2GiB USB Stick and a Windows/Linux PC or MAC to download the needed software. And ~1GiG Download.

Copy that file to the USB Stick, replace the HDD, put the USB Stick into the PS4, connect the Controller via USB and install that shit. 

While you can't replace the XBox HDD easily and if it dies you have some serious problems it seems...

3. What the Future might bring is irrelevant. Because it can or can not happen. What we have now and what is announced for the plattform is what counts.

There are some things that are multi plattform these days (Ni no Kuni 2, Secret of Mana), but some come to Playstation first - and only for Playstation. 
Like Final Fantasy XII, XV, Neptunia.

And there are some exclusives that weren't mentioned like Infamous first light and second son, Knack and many more..

As for the Hardware people.
I'm playing with my new WiiU right now, have a PS4 PRO right next to it. Doesn't have many (good) games but some awesome ones.

But mostly just Plattformers and the old Wii Stuff...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"