Windows 10 edition shuffle. Are you ready?

GoodBytes

Note: As far as we know, the following does not affect in any way current Windows 10 users.

Based on leaks, it looks like that Microsoft is in for a shuffling/updating editions of Windows 10 to cater better OEMs in releasing more price competitive systems to compete against Google Chromebook and ChromeOS tablet coming (Google might drop Android on tablets, and switch to ChomeOS instead on them, as newer version of ChromeOS would suggest - https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/2/16965520/google-chrome-os-64-update-android-tablets-operating-system-replace).

Please note, that it is a bit of a mess, as this is based on leaks and not official statement and from multiple sources. This also includes some speculations of my part in completing the possible loss information by the non tech-savy press.

So I am trying to simplify and organize everything. We will need to wait for official statement from Microsoft to have a clearer image.

• Windows 10 S is gone. But is/was a success based on MS
    Microsoft says that 60% of users who got Windows 10 S, remain on Windows 10 S, despite the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Among the 40% who upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, 60% of them did it in the first 24h of owning their system. However, the stats excludes the Surface laptop.

Paul Thurott says:

On third-party devices, Microsoft says that 60% of users remain on Windows 10 S which is a lot higher than I thought it would be but when users do switch, it’s almost immediately. The company says 60% of those who switch, do so within 24hrs of having the device but if they don’t switch in the first seven days, 83% remain running in S mode.

Keep in mind that these stats are for low-end PCs as the only high-end device running the OS is the Surface Laptop which was excluded from the data.

• "S Mode" is introduced in some editions of Windows 10. So now, you'll have Windows 10 and Windows 10 S Mode. "S Mode" of Windows 10 will be exactly like taking your Windows 10 Home or Pro, and activating this feature (Settings > Apps > Apps & features):

Image2.png.1d88637f20c38140e610df9e86514546.png

So, you are locking your system to running any apps you want (Win32 or UWP), but from the MS Store only, which is what Windows 10 S was.

To unlock it, like Windows 10 S (without the free upgrade offer, of course), you MAY need to pay (see bellow).

In exchange, Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro "S Mode" various will be cheaper for OEMs.
    So I guess, you can say, that it is Windows 10 Home and Pro "Low cost edition" (depending on the type of system), that OEMs can choose to put.

Assuming the accuracy of MS research results, it does show that most people are fine with a locked down Windows. They have everything they need to use their system, the locked down nature doesn't affect them per se. I mean, if you have a look at the Store, they have Spotify, soon iTunes (UWP files are already found in iTunes files if you have it installed on your PC, so its definitely coming), you have an OK web browser (Edge), you have all the software included in Windows (Notepad, Calculator, Video player, Music player (Groove), with both lots of codecs to play the popular formats), heck you can get Paint.net as well. Plus you have a Twitter app, VLC, same for Netflix, Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, Pendora, Intragram, Hulu, and of course Office, and more. Plus now Edge has some decent set of extensions: UBlock Origin, Grammarly, Pinrest, Ghostery, Evernote, Pocket, and more. Of course, I am not saying that Edge is equal to Firefox or Chrome, or that you have everything in the Store.. but currently, I can see how it can perfectly fit many people.

• So far, what we know: Windows 10 Home S, can upgrade to Windows 10 Home for free.
  • Windows 10 Pro S can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for $49 USD (this is like how it for Windows 10 S users upgrading out of the "S". For $49, they get the Pro instead of just being unlocked).

So, so far, the only change, is that Windows 10 Home S, is a thing now. And it is cheaper version of Windows 10 Home. And, users can upgrade for free to the full 10 Home if they are affected, without getting the surprise of an extra fee.

Ok so I want to say it just ends here, but it's not.

Now for the fun part. Come on! What? This is Microsoft marketing department we are talking about!

You got to have: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Live Plus! Essentials with Media Center Pack 2018 for Humans, somewhere!

Are you ready? Get you Tylenol Extra Strength ready, here goes:

Windows 10:

• Entry (OEM price: $25). For system powered by Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium (or similar) with <= 4GB and/or 32GB of SSD.

• Value (OEM price: $45). For system powered by Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium (or similar) with <= 4GB, and/or less then 64GB SSD or 500GB HDD. and smaller than 14inch.

• Core (OEM price $65.46). Can't be installed on a system that can get Core + or Advanced.

• Core + (OEM price: $86.66). "High end" CPU and >= 4 GB RAM.

• Advanced. (OEM price: $101). For workstation or equivalent hardware such as i9, or i7 with 6 or more cores or AMD Threadripper, or any system with 16GB of RAM or more. (basically they want to say a powerful computer).

In greater details:
    • Entry: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4GB RAM & ≤ 32GB SSD AND ≤ 14.1” screen size (NB), ≤ 11.6” (2in1, Tablet), ≥ 17” AiO
    • Value: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4GB RAM & ≤64GB SSD & ≤ 14.1” screen size (EM ≤ 4GB RAM & ≤64GB SSD or ≤ 500GB HDD)
    • Core: Cannot be used on devices that meet the Core+ and Advanced SKU Hardware Specifications
    • Core +: High end CPU and >4 GB RAM (All Form Factors) ≥8 GB RAM & ≥1080p screen resolution (NB, 2in1, AiO) >8 GB RAM & ≥2TB HDD or SSD storage (Desktop)
    • Advanced: Intel Core i9 (any configuration) OR Core i7 ≥ 6 Cores (any RAM) OR AMD Threadripper(any configuration) OR Intel Core i7 >16GB (any Cores) or AMD FX/ Ryzen7 >16GB (any Cores) OR ≥ 4K screen resolution (any processor, includes 4K UHD-3840 resolution

Update:
They are chances that the mentioned prices are completely wrong, or aimed at small OEMs who does small orders, and not the big OEMs like Dell, HP, Acer.

I won't be surprised that the Entry and even Value editions of Windows 10 are free for the big guys.

Assumptions on my part:

If I where to make a equivalency table, based on my assumptions: (I can be totally wrong).

• Advanced ----> Windows 10 Workstation (you may recall this edition being announced a while back)
  • Core +     ----> Windows 10 Pro
  • Core        ----> Windows 10 Pro S
  • Value       ----> Windows 10 Home
  • Entry        ----> Windows 10 Home S (aka: the now defunct Windows 10 S)

Sources:
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/151582/exclusive-windows-10-s-dead-long-live-s-mode

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-consumer-skus-to-reportedly-undergo-change

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-extends-free-upgrade-offer-from-windows-10-s-to-pro

Looking at the equivalency table that I made. Using names like I did, like "Windows 10 Pro S", we can see why they decided to rename it "Windows 10 Core +" instead. the longer name with "S" at the end, might suggest a premium edition of Windows, when it isn't. It is the "SE" of graphics card models naming by many manufactures, in other words: Sucky Edition, where people think it means Special Edition, so a better edition when it isn't.

Seems pretty expensive for the OEMs.

Microsoft sells legitimate retail Windows 10 Pro keys to employees for $35, plus a $5 discount the first time you buy, so it's actually pretty socking to me that it costs OEMs over double as much.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Wonder if the DIY gets a bone in the form of a discount if a lower end system is built?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Seems pretty expensive for the OEMs.

Microsoft sells legitimate retail Windows 10 Pro keys to employees for $35, plus a $5 discount the first time you buy, so it's actually pretty socking to me that it costs OEMs over double as much.

They are chances that information in the post is wrong, or for small OEMs,and not the big ones like Dell, HP, Acer, etc.

Wow now its confusing and sucks for the consumer.

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

they should just make it free.

Is there any penalty if you're running an inactive copy beyond the watermark and customization restrictions?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft says that 60% of users who got Windows 10 S, remain on Windows 10 S, despite the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I bet a lot of these people who bought a Surface Laptop doesn't know the free Windows 10 Pro upgrade.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Entry (OEM price: $25). For system powered by Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium (or similar) with <= 4GB and/or 32GB of SSD.

• Value (OEM price: $45). For system powered by Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium (or similar) with <= 4GB, and/or less then 64GB SSD or 500GB HDD. and smaller than 14inch.

• Core (OEM price $65.46). Can't be installed on a system that can get Core + or Advanced.

• Advanced. (OEM price: $101). For workstation or equivalent hardware such as i9, or i7 with 6 or more cores or AMD Threadripper, or any system with 16GB of RAM or more. (basically they want to say a powerful computer).

Oh no! You what reminds me of this? Windows Vista which carried over to Windows 7:

• Windows Vista Basic
  • Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • Windows Vista Business
  • Windows Vista Ultimate
  • Windows Vista Enterprise

One of the premises of Windows 8 and 10 is that it'll be just one Windows to run on both low and high end devices. What is Microsoft thinking? So what, are we back to Windows versions stripped away of features for the low end? Goodness gracious Microsoft!

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

leaks indicates that Google might drop Android on tablets, and switch to ChomeOS instead on them

Welp, no more half way decent tablets with a Google OS then.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

One of the premises of Windows 8 and 10 is that it'll be just one Windows to run on both low and high end devices. What is Microsoft thinking? So what, are we back to Windows versions stripped away of features for the low end? Goodness gracious Microsoft!

Yea I don't get it. I was happy to hear, in Windows 10 early days, to only have 3 editions: Home, Pro, and Enterprise.

Then they started to release a bunch of other editions, which I guess now they are fusing together. Forgot to mention in the news, that Education edition of Windows 10 is also gone with Windows 10 S.

i am not ready, i am confused,

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

IMO a "Windows 10 Pro S" version is ridiculous. if it's a PRO edition, then the user will want to do PRO things, like install non-UWP apps!

but I can understand the Home S edition for ultra-low budget laptops 

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Welp, no more half way decent tablets with a Google OS then.

Correction what I typed. I updated my entry. Sorry about this.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/2/16965520/google-chrome-os-64-update-android-tablets-operating-system-replace

Not a leak, I miss recalled the news. I t just looks like it might be on the way with the evolution of ChromeOS.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea I don't get it. I was happy to hear, in Windows 10 early days, to only have 3 editions: Home, Pro, and Enterprise.

Then they started to release a bunch of other editions, which I guess now they are fusing together. Forgot to mention in the news, that Education edition of Windows 10 is also gone with Windows 10 S.

If true (which I hope not), I want to know what made Terry Myerson and Satya Nadella made this ludicrous move of bringing back the thing people despised about Windows Vista/7. Since these are rumored leaks, I'll take it with a grain of salt but upon reading the OP, I can't shake the feeling that it's actually true.

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Core + (OEM price: $86.66). "High end" CPU and >= 4 GB RAM.

By no means 4 GB of RAM is considered high end. I don't know what made Microsoft think that 4GB is high end.

This accompanied with the update ring changes is seriously doing my fucking head in.

idk

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

If true (which I hope not), I want to know what made Terry Myerson and Satya Nadella made this ludicrous move of bringing back the thing people despised about Windows Vista/7. Since these are rumored leaks, I'll take it with a grain of salt but upon reading the OP, I can't shake the feeling that it's actually true.

By no means 4 GB of RAM is considered high end. I don't know what made Microsoft think that 4GB is high end.

the new xps 13 in canada costs 1.4k and has 4gb of ram

and im pretty sure a surface device comes with 4gb of ram by standard.

what a world we live in.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10:

I do need a tylenol now.....

sure am glad they stopped making 32bit windows..... WOULDN'T WANT THEIR TO BE TOO MANY WINDOWS VERSIONS NOW WOULD WE.....

So basically they want you to pay more for the OS the more powerful your computer is, as if the OS should be some percent of the overall sale rather than a fixed amount.  Why exactly?

And slightly off topic, about the android for tablet / chrome OS thing, wasn't android and Chrome OS supposed to be fused at some point?  What ever happened that?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 hours ago, themctipers said:

the new xps 13 in canada costs 1.4k and has 4gb of ram

and im pretty sure a surface device comes with 4gb of ram by standard.

what a world we live in.

Apple doesn't even sell any laptop that starts with 4GB of RAM.

19 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And slightly off topic, about the android for tablet / chrome OS thing, wasn't android and Chrome OS supposed to be fused at some point?  What ever happened that?

Are you talking about the Fuchsia OS? Ars Technica managed to get a test device running on the Pixelbook. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/googles-fuchsia-os-on-the-pixelbook-it-works-it-actually-works/

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Apple doesn't even sell any laptop that starts with 4GB of RAM.

the thinkpad 4 years anniversary and apple are more fucking value than the xps

apple:

it has a higher resolution screen

it has a better trackpad

it has a ... 'better'... keyboard..

it has a nvme ssd!

it has that bling bling and that aluminium unbody enclosure

probably better battery

probably better speakers

and will have more value in 5 years than the xps.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wasn't android and Chrome OS supposed to be fused at some point?  What ever happened that?

Someone had their wits about them and decided not to ruin Android that much that fast.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

the thinkpad 4 years anniversary and apple are more fucking value than the xps

apple:

it has a higher resolution screen

it has a better trackpad

it has a ... 'better'... keyboard..

it has a nvme ssd!

it has that bling bling and that aluminium unbody enclosure

probably better battery

probably better speakers

and will have more value in 5 years than the xps.

With that said, what made Microsoft think that a high end CPU and paltry 4GB of RAM is a good combination? 

With that said, what made Microsoft think that a high end CPU and paltry 4GB of RAM is a good combination? 

windows excellent ram management

its windows 10 s, what's the most intensive application in the windows store?

probably edge is more intensive lol

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

a board room of financial advisors

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

windows excellent ram management

its windows 10 s, what's the most intensive application in the windows store?

probably edge is more intensive lol

There are actually games from the Windows Store that wouldn't run on 4GB of system memory like Forza Horizon 3 which demands at least 8GB of RAM