$1,400 Wooden Keyboard vs. a $40 one

Got wood? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If I invested in BTC 5 years ago, I'd buy 10 of the Japanese ones. They look more like art xD

So...

Would I use it? No.

Would I own one? Yes.

But I will agree with Linus it is overpriced... $500 maybe $800, not 1,400 tho...

Edit: Linus don't sell it, put it on the shelf behind the WAN show :)

The Amazon link in the description leads to a search for "wooden keybaord" :D

I saw this video sometime in December I think. Once I finish watching the daily upload video, I usually go through LTT's other playlists to binge watch old videos again and again and again (God, help me..). Found this video under the peripherals playlist and I think it was unlisted, but still available online on YouTube. Obviously that was a mix up and something was uploaded when it wasn't supposed to be. I get that. What surprised me was how much in advance you guys make the videos! I assumed you made the videos (edited and ready for upload) one week in advance, but this is amusing. Not that it matters, but still.. quite surprising. Do you plan ahead so much for all the videos? If that is the case, kudos!

Mobile workstation: Lenovo Thinkpad W541 - i7-4710MQ | NVidia Quadro K1100M | 8GB DDR3 | 240GB SSD

19 minutes ago, PraveenRamanujam said:

I saw this video sometime in December I think. Once I finish watching the daily upload video, I usually go through LTT's other playlists to binge watch old videos again and again and again (God, help me..). Found this video under the peripherals playlist and I think it was unlisted, but still available online on YouTube. Obviously that was a mix up and something was uploaded when it wasn't supposed to be. I get that. What surprised me was how much in advance you guys make the videos! I assumed you made the videos (edited and ready for upload) one week in advance, but this is amusing. Not that it matters, but still.. quite surprising. Do you plan ahead so much for all the videos? If that is the case, kudos!

Look at the Tech Showdown It'll give a rough idea when they made it: The dates said Sept 27-Oct 2 yet that ep was released in Dec.

I gave a possible explanation in the 2nd part of mining video here (I think) , simply put they had no available slots for maximum ad revenue till said time. Releasing videos on FP possibly months in advance is not good either. It also gives them time to fix errors (no excuse with the intel video mistake really...)

49 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Look at the Tech Showdown It'll give a rough idea when they made it: The dates said Sept 27-Oct 2 yet that ep was released in Dec.

I gave a possible explanation in the 2nd part of mining video here (I think) , simply put they had no available slots for maximum ad revenue till said time. Releasing videos on FP possibly months in advance is not good either. It also gives them time to fix errors (no excuse with the intel video mistake really...)

I was not aware of the maximum ad revenue constraint. While I totally understand the need for proper timing of the uploads to ensure maximum reach, factoring in slots for ad revenue (if this is indeed a YouTube imposed restriction) seems like an unnecessary complexity in the equation. 

Can't YouTube users upload as much content as they want to? 

Mobile workstation: Lenovo Thinkpad W541 - i7-4710MQ | NVidia Quadro K1100M | 8GB DDR3 | 240GB SSD

I remember randomly clicking on some random YouTube channel and saw this person who looks like House's (played by Hugh Laurie) long lost twin brother, who is a master wood carver. I will never forget the word he said, "Be one with the wood."

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

11 minutes ago, PraveenRamanujam said:

I was not aware of the maximum ad revenue constraint. While I totally understand the need for proper timing of the uploads to ensure maximum reach, factoring in slots for ad revenue (if this is indeed a YouTube imposed restriction) seems like an unnecessary complexity in the equation. 

Can't YouTube users upload as much content as they want to? 

There's no real restraint, youtube's algorithm hates spam, so if they where to throw out 5+ videos one day their CPM might be lowered because of the change in video releases, not to mention the lower views per video due to the short time gap.

I'm sure there is some science behind releasing, but video creation can take time for sponsors to agree etc, then theirs videos like this one where the products might take 30-60 days just to get to them, then they can film/edit etc. So a video like this with a intended release in say Oct could be pushed 2 months if shipment was delayed, which gives additional reason for large date differences.

You also want to keep your employees fully employed too so even if you could produce 20 videos a week if you can't keep up that production you might find the revenue and full time employees are not beneficial. This could not just be ad revenue but partners like Tunnelbear might expect lower fees due to the short lifetime of the video. One other thing they rely on are amazon affiliate links, if you keep throwing new videos out people might pass on clicking the amazon link to buy products just to watch the next video, hence lost income.

It's a delicate balance of workload and income from their sources.

Somebody either has too much money in their expense account or is eager to demonstrate their intelligence by spending it like this.

Ever hear the joke about that Linus who bought the wooden PC with the wooden keyboard and wooden monitor???

Yeah, it wouldn't (wooden) work xD

Seriously, if LMG is literally burning thousands to spend on ridiculous crap you should be sending that money to charity - THEY could put $1400 to far more practical use than some click-bait video.

I swear to god I've already watched this video.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

all things considered I would like to suggest doing a review of the Art Lebedev optimus maximus if you're really willing to drop this kind of cash on a keyboard, or for @TaranLMGspecifically and especially considering his elgato stream deck video I'd also suggest the same company's optimus popularis 

the maximus might be hard to find though and the two are similar enough that a review of either would work I imagine

but they're basically OLED screen keys that allow for programming with built in software or a DIY solution, and animations with the custom icons, it's basically a great showpiece as well as a highly functional keyboard for content creators with deep pockets

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

Guys You realise bamboo isn't a wood Right It's a tall growing grass and its wood like but not wood. you should fix the name to "$1,400 Wooden Keyboard vs. a $40 bamboo one"

15 hours ago, Luscious said:

Seriously, if LMG is literally burning thousands to spend on ridiculous crap you should be sending that money to charity - THEY could put $1400 to far more practical use than some click-bait video

charity wouldn't do anything with $1400 lmao what are you chatting

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

charity wouldn't do anything with $1400 lmao what are you chatting

The point flew right by you...

If companies stopped buying and doing stupid stuff and donated that money instead charities would have more money. It's not about one person per se it's when a number of people start doing it. Also who can say if that $1400 it would make a difference or not?

Charities from humble bundle can't do much with the $1-30 i give with purchases, but when you put thousands of those purchases together it becomes larger, more powerful.