Does noise matter to you?

hyperj123

Does noise matter?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Yes
    • As long as it's not terribly loud
    • Not at all it could sound like a jet and I don't care

I do but I accept some for more performance and less cost. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Despite my age i have the attitudes of an old man, even the littlest bit of noise bothers me to no end.

For one i rarely use headphones on a daily basis due to the use of speakers, so i'm more susceptible to hearing noises that wouldn't bother most people.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I love a quiet rig. I think it's just the more annoying sounds though. A low constant sound will be tuned out but if the fans are constantly ramping up and down then it gets on my nerves. I do miss my GTX 760 which had absolutely insane overkill cooling (Gigabyte Windforce) and only got audible with an OC in the summer. My new RX580 has a more compact cooling solution since I just bought the first one I could get my hands on. It ramps up and down all the damn time and is much more annoying. Doesn't help I got a 4k Freesync at the same time so it runs at 100% more often rather than the 80-100% I aim for with a 60hz v-sync.

Anyways, I have a Define R4 which I adore. Two BeQuiet! 140mm intake fans and I'm in the process of replacing the rest of the fans with BeQuiet as well. I have a Cryorig H7 cooler on my 4770k which keeps it mostly inaudible at 4.3Ghz which I'm pretty happy with. I'm just hoping this BS flash shortage ends soon so I can kick my stacks of 7200rpm HDDs to the curb.

tempsyo!.JPG

Well, I definitely prefer quiet and would like my system as quiet as can be without a doubt.

Does noise bother me though? Long as it's not like a jet engine, no.

Like right now, I can hear my system (I think it's primarily the CPU Cooler. Case Fans are rather quiet last I bothered to differ the noise) but it's not loud. When it gets a little notably louder is underload when I'm gaming and in that instance, my headset blocks out the noise. So, long as it's cancelled out, it's whatever to me.

I guess it can be a little annoying if I'm not wearing a headset/headphones though like when I'm rendering a video and I get off the PC while it's going and just relax in bed. I can hear it without a doubt, CPU getting utilized and the CPU Cooler ramping up, but it doesn't really bother me.

Noise more so bothers me when it's from like a outside source. Cars constantly going up/down the street, planes/helicopters passing over/by, neighbors being obnoxiously loud and so on. Noise I make myself, doesn't really bother me, I'll try to minimize it as much as possible and just leave it at that.

Not really. My PC is very audible, but it doesn't bother me, but that's because it's a lower pitch. The stock intel cooler is a higher pitch and that's extremely annoying ( I also think the stock Intel cooler is an abomination )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

I'd rather not hear my PC in the background when video games become relatively quiet. In video games where things can intense, and there's a pause in a cutscene or something similar, it can break the immersion hearing a jet engine in the background. Slight audibility is fine, but no jet engine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I didn't think I cared too much, but throwing my 1080 Ti on a mining load sure did change my mind.

As did taking the shroud off of a reference HD 7970. I can have it in a completely separate room and continue to hear it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Just now, Suika said:

I didn't think I cared too much, but throwing my 1080 Ti on a mining load sure did change my mind.

As did taking the shroud off of a reference HD 7970. I can have it in a completely separate room and continue to hear it.

With my video cards, I set them to a fan speed where I can't really hear them, and only that as a basis for settings(voltage, clock speeds, etc). It can limit performance, but I still got decent cooling while also achieving decent performance.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm not exactly keen on sticking a bunch of 1U server racks in my room, if i that's what you mean by "matters".

My desktop with the GTX 960 and the Intel stock cooler is perfectly fine however, especially compared to running encodes on my old laptop overnight. The desktop is a bit of a soft humming under load, while the laptop sort of screeched instead. To be fair, Gtx 960s tended to have overkill cooling anyway, soo...

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

With my video cards, I set them to a fan speed where I can't really hear them, and only that as a basis for settings(voltage, clock speeds, etc). It can limit performance, but I still got decent cooling while also achieving decent performance.

For some reason, mining completely ignores my 1080 Ti's undervolt profile, it just throws it to whatever voltage/frequency it wants, so I have to keep fans at a high RPM because temps are already hitting 77C. If the damn Hybrid kit for the 1080 Ti FTW3 wasn't $200 I'd cave and buy it just to reduce noise, and I'm not completely comfortable with the NZXT G12.

I played with the 7970 a bit for sure, but even getting the undervolt as low as I can at stock settings, I don't think it will get to a point where I'm comfortable with temperatures at a low RPM. I can't reduce frequency to push a harder undervolt either, since the card already struggles in PUBG as it is. I'm going to try and cut out the part of the shroud conflicting with the 24-pin (why I took it off) and see if that improves thermals/reduces noise.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

long as the noise is the fans spinning i dont care too much. if its coil whine fuck it return.

I don't think I mind. Heck I live in the same room with an Antminer (80 somewhat db?) As long as things stay cool, I'm chill with it. Now when things get hot and fans are as loud as a jet engine, that's when I get pissed.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

I would love to say sound matters to me . But running a overclocked foundation Rx Vega and thinking it's not too loud . Iam probably not the best person to ask . 

i care about noise, i am deaf in one ear and my other ear is super sensitive. i hate loud noises.

I like loud noises, especially anti-lag exhaust backfires and sequential gearbox whines.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Tinnitus <insert Archer reference> Got to have some noise otherwise I'd go insane...

I don't mind any noise, of course, it is not a loud terrible sound. Usually I listen to music while gaming. Also I can easily sleep when my TV or computer is on.

Yep, considering both my computers are in the living room and stay on 24/7 to do F@H/BOINC, I rather both don't sound loud.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU