Does noise matter to you?

hyperj123

Does noise matter?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Yes
    • As long as it's not terribly loud
    • Not at all it could sound like a jet and I don't care

I just wanted to post a question here. I for one don't really care if my computer sounds like a jet engine simply because while under load it's basically gaming. While I'm gaming I have a headset on so I don't even hear it. 

Edit: added a poll

I am half deaf, so no! Plus I got a floor fan on 24/7/365 that I can point at me if I so wish.

Also my pc is under the desk at my knee.

Plus my pc is stock hp

I just moved the fan my way, felt kinda hot

plus I downed a glass of fresh squeezed OJ from sunterra

Nope

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

I want to care about it, but I cant. CPU cooler fan is loud because the heatsink is too small, but I would rather bear with the noise than go through all the mess replacing the cooler. The graphics card has some serious coil whine, but with the inflated prices I couldn't afford a worthy upgrade (cuz why bother sidegrade).

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Yah, I have open back headphones so it does a bit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yes as it gets extremely distracting and my headphones squash my ears (seriously-no one has circular ears)

My GTX 970 G1 Gaming is that loud that I can hear it even with my noise cancelling headphones on as well. As a result I've switched to the GTX 650ti OC 2GB that it replaced and the majority of my games are played in blissful silence. Only my newer games which also hammer the 650ti cause the stock Intel cooler to become too loud, and my 650ti even with the GPU+vRAM at 100% usage sits at 56-60oC with the fans at idle. Even with a heavy overclock to both the GPU and vRAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

34 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

I just wanted to post a question here. I for one don't really care if my computer sounds like a jet engine simply because while under load it's basically gaming. While I'm gaming I have a headset on so I don't even hear it. 

Edit: added a poll

Nope, I don't really give attention to the noise my PC makes and let's be honest, WD Black which is 5 years old(sometimes makes weird sounds... and I'll need to upgrade), 1050ti Windforce OC that keeps the vents at 55% all time so also noisy and a big ass CPU cooler which is not that loud but also makes noise. 

PS: Atm my case is open, "For better cooling" xD

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

I'd argue it isn't the level but how it sounds that matters. A low level but annoying sound (like coil whine) is worse than a louder amount of a gentle whoosh of air for example. So, while "I can't hear it" would be ideal, it only needs to be not annoying.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I don't use hard drives at all because I dislike the noise/vibration they make

My components do have crazy quiet cooling (360mm rad custom loop or an nh-d14 and strix gpu)

I'm deaf on my left ear but put the PC on my right (go me!) and by 99% of pc users definition my system would be silent

And yet I'm still spending 100 USD on 6 fans that are just that tad bit quieter.

So yeeaaahhhh, silence matters

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I care about it a lot. my pc sits on top of my desk a few centimetres away from my head basically so I like my rig as silent as possible.

at low load my fans don't even spin at all, and the cooling loop runs just on the pump. when under benchmarking loads my fans never spin up loader then 50%

i care about it a lot. Since im mining as long as im not gaming and my pc is in my bedroom as a heater, low noise is very important. im just trying to sleep. Thats why im moving to liquid cooling soon with a better case.

Very important to me too. Space is limited and so I have an ITX build on my desk, not too far from my ears. Low profile coolers get loud as the CPU gets very hot in these tiny cases, which is why I just ordered a custom SFF case with space for 240mm rad.

Now I am hoping for Seasonic to get back to the SFX market and make a very quiet unit.

My older systems were in the jet engine compartment, the newer are as silent as possible. I got a dedicated PC room in my flat where there are 2 computers (for me and the misses) 2 laptops (again for me and the misses) and an intel NUC to fuel a TV between our 2 desks. With all that stuff running (and it runs a lot) noise is an issue we adressed finally. Dampened cases, fans / rads with low noise rating, temperature controlled room so the ambient temps don't go that high.

The loudest thing in here is the NUC under load, which doesn't happen that often. But even that one will get an upgrade soon when the mailman rings with a more silent fan (hopefully).

so: Yes! It matters a lot to me.

I didn't care so much about 10-15 years ago but now I do. Especially for my HTPC. I have changed fans and fan configurations multiple times on both my main rig and HTPC to try to strike the right balance between noise and cooling performance. It's not just volume either. I've tossed out 3 or 4 different kinds of fan due certain noises they made (namely whining from the motors) and kept technically louder fans. Also, I hate hard drives so I run all SSD main storage. I do still have some external hard drives but they are only on for short periods of time.

What made me care so much about noise was a loud-as-balls laptop I use to use as an HTPC. Couldn't stand it anymore so I went nuts building an HTPC mostly from spare parts originally. Other than hand-me-down motherboard, CPU, and RAM, it's all new now thanks that newfound obsession with noise.

My entire system runs at a constant 600rpm regardless of load or idle. Did some modding on my gpu and psu and now i'm all happy. 

No need to deal with annoying fans or pump noises that water cooling provides.

I have a fan running in my room at all times so... no.

That being said I think this whole fad of cases being "acoustically optimized for silence" or whatever, is just crap. Have better airflow and you can get better cooling at lower fan speeds and thus less sound. Sound dampening foam is only going to reduce airflow, increase temps, and thus necessitate increased fan speed and thus sound.

I have my old gaming rig in a Phanteks P400 with an H100i V2 cpu cooler, and an ASUS strix 970 and it's basically silent when gaming. No bullshit foam necessary.

My current rig has nine Noctua black 3000rpm fans that run at maybe 25% at all times (at least the ones on the radiator do) but it doesn't bother me at all.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If it's fan noise I don't care. If it's the rattling noise like in those stupid Gigabyte cards, I hate it.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

As long as it's not loud or coil whine. Sadly my GPU sounds like a jet engine despite being a non-reference model.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

Doesn’t really matter. Coil whine is different. I leave my machines on 24/7, so I don’t really care. My home theatre surround system easily drowns out the sound of my machines. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

12 hours ago, 7nationarmy said:

Very important to me too. Space is limited and so I have an ITX build on my desk, not too far from my ears. Low profile coolers get loud as the CPU gets very hot in these tiny cases, which is why I just ordered a custom SFF case with space for 240mm rad.

Now I am hoping for Seasonic to get back to the SFX market and make a very quiet unit.

whats the case?

15 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I am half deaf, so no! Plus I got a floor fan on 24/7/365 that I can point at me if I so wish.

Also my pc is under the desk at my knee.

Plus my pc is stock hp

I just moved the fan my way, felt kinda hot

plus I downed a glass of fresh squeezed OJ from sunterra

I'm 66-75% deaf but I make music so no and yes : x

Linus is my fetish.

14 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

i care about it a lot. Since im mining as long as im not gaming and my pc is in my bedroom as a heater, low noise is very important. im just trying to sleep. Thats why im moving to liquid cooling soon with a better case.

You just have narrowed my situation perfectly lol

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

My PC is very noisy and I don't care. I have two HOT R9 390X cards running at full fan speed 24/7.