Asus Bezel-free Kit Announced CES

Inkz

Asus has just announced at CES a way to make multi monitors a little more pleasant to look at. image.png.9cea088fac6e2eba1fc1f3016895c095.png

The setup involves vertical lenses and mounts that attach to your gaming monitors at 130-degree angles. The lenses help blend the display image and then refract the light to make it bend in a way that feels natural from one monitor edge to another. The whole effect makes it seem as if you’re using one giant curved display. It doesn’t rely on special software, an external or internal power supply, or any other Asus-specific add-on, suggesting you could use this with any monitors seemingly of the same size. An Asus spokesperson confirmed to The Verge that the kit “will work with a wide variety of ‘thin’ bezel designs, but you do want the monitors to be the same size for the best possible display output.”

image.png.de7a053d2e9cc7ef5fb58caf264502ff.png

While I don't think it completely fixes the issue, I think it is a step in the right direction. While a true solution would be a lot more complicated. On the plus side since they aren't active, you can use them with little setup and lots of compatibility.  They plan to have them sometime in 2018 with no exact date as of yet.  One of the thing I hate about multi monitors was the middle bezels, so I am excited at advancements in this field.

Sauce: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/8/16860118/asus-rog-bezel-free-kit-gaming-pc-monitor-light-refraction-ces-2018

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/rogs-bezel-free-kit-makes-multi-monitor-setups-seamless/

That actually looks pretty neat, if it works like the pictures show. Too bad my monitors are arranged in a non-standard way. 

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I HIGHLY doubt that it look anything close to the 3D rendered image. I want to see it in action.

100%

This looks incredible, especially with broad compatibility, but I want to see it before I make any purchase decisions surrounding the product.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I HIGHLY doubt that it look anything close to the 3D rendered image. I want to see it in action.

It's a cool idea but the lenses seem quite cloudy. They seem like they would be more distracting than helpful. It's just a prototype though so maybe they'll really improve the product as they continue to develop.

Buy an ultrawide = no bezel gg multi-monitor solutions

Yet the refusal of youtube creators to do 21:9 aspect ratio....

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

2 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

Asus have talked about this problem. They know that plastic have this problem but  making this product in glas would be to fragile for the mass market.

In the days of almost all new PC cases being included with tempered glass side panels?

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

11 hours ago, MeDownYou said:

When they make a ultrawide with a higher resolution than a single monitor we'll talk. only an idiot would sacrifice resolution AND screen space.

11 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

Asus have talked about this problem. They know that plastic have this problem but  making this product in glas would be to fragile for the mass market.

What about acrylic? Could be a good balance between fragility and clearness. (EDIT: I dumbed, acrylic IS plastic) Although I'd still like to see it made out of glass.

The plastic also makes the covered area too dark. I'm not sure if I'd prefer that over just having the bezels.

16 hours ago, DontPeek said:

It's a cool idea but the lenses seem quite cloudy. They seem like they would be more distracting than helpful. It's just a prototype though so maybe they'll really improve the product as they continue to develop.

so it creates a see-through "bezel" which is actually thicker than the original bezel? not sure how much of a win this is.

Not sure if I'd notice distortion though still it differes quite a bit. I've seen setups with literally no bezels and monitors stitched nicely. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

There are plenty of plastics which are as clear as glass with high refractive indexes though (and they can be given scratch proof coatings too).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

8 hours ago, Ashaira said:

When they make a ultrawide with a higher resolution than a single monitor we'll talk. only an idiot would sacrifice resolution AND screen space.

wait you realize they do right? you can buy 5k ultrawides, and 3440x1440p ultrawides. 

for reference 3440x1440p @ 34 inches is 109.68 PPI

while a 1080p display at 21.5 inches is 102.46 PPI

So, you gain resolution with the above trade, lose the bezel, plus you have around 5m pixels while  2x 1080p displays would have 4m pixels, so you gain 20% screen space.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

I was thinking about when someone would make something like this. My main problem with multi monitor setups are the bezels

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

15 hours ago, MeDownYou said:

wait you realize they do right? you can buy 5k ultrawides, and 3440x1440p ultrawides. 

for reference 3440x1440p @ 34 inches is 109.68 PPI

while a 1080p display at 21.5 inches is 102.46 PPI

So, you gain resolution with the above trade, lose the bezel, plus you have around 5m pixels while  2x 1080p displays would have 4m pixels, so you gain 20% screen space.

they made a 2160p ultrawide? where?

We won't get what we really want until the micro LED tech matures and can be put into smaller screens; Samsungs "Wall" shows as much, there is no bezel to speak of, but thats a few years away and it will not be cheap much less cheap at small screen sizes 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

On 1/10/2018 at 5:21 PM, MeDownYou said:

Well since the majority of screens, both mobile, laptop, and desktop are 16:9 I am glad that creators still use 16:9. Although it would be nice to have some shot just for it and better game support.

On 1/10/2018 at 4:28 PM, DontPeek said:

I haven't seen it in person, so I can't backup my opinion, but I can't imagine it would be that noticeable. Maybe if you're just browsing LTT or Reddit you'll notice it, but if you're actually playing the game I doubt it will be something you would always see. I'm also sure it would take some getting used to, though.

27 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

I haven't seen it in person, so I can't backup my opinion, but I can't imagine it would be that noticeable. Maybe if you're just browsing LTT or Reddit you'll notice it, but if you're actually playing the game I doubt it will be something you would always see. I'm also sure it would take some getting used to, though.

The tiny distortion might be usefull in some situations too. With multi-monitors you can snap windows to different screens, so having the distortion as a "soft" bezel would still keep the pro of having them separated. Maybe I am just justifying a flaw idk.

"Natural"

It looks like you fucking taped the monitors together after you removed the bezels: Not quite natural there chief.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Lol, ~$100 (likely means ~£100 also) for a few peices of plastic that the CRT community have been DIY'ing to use multi monitor CRT setups, for years.

Honestly that kit shouldnt cost more than £40

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 12/01/2018 at 9:16 AM, Ashaira said:

they made a 2160p ultrawide? where?

LG unvield a 21:9 5120x2160 34" nano IPS display at this CES.

Tis very tempting, but its still LCD so ill liekly pass.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 1/11/2018 at 4:36 AM, Ashaira said:

An ultrawide will always have more screen space then a single 16:9 monitor. As for resolution thats dependent on what your comparing it to and a 1440x3440 ultra wide has a higher resolution then a 1080p monitor and more pixels horizontally then a standard 16:9 1440p monitor and soon a 4k ultrawide will be released. Not sure what you were trying to get at with your post. Did you mean dual monitor and not single monitor because ultrawide > single monitor of same or lower resolution.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.