It's finally here! SteamOS is available to download!

solosdk

Can you give me a link?

The magnet link is in the blog post in the OP other wise wait a bit and ill be creating a torrent if the unofficial matches the md5

Unofficial torrent linked here: http://steamdb.info/blog/35/

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The Unofficial Torrent matches the MD5 sum.

ZDR6oLp.png

Cool, im still going to check mine when I get it as well.

Q: How do I install SteamOS?

There are two different install methods for SteamOS. '''WARNING: BOTH METHODS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE MACHINE'''

The easiest method is an image-based install using CloneZilla. You will need to create a SteamOS System Restore USB stick to perform this install. The image provided here requires at least a 1TB disk.

• Format a 4GB or larger USB stick with the FAT32 filesystem. Use "SYSRESTORE" as the partition name
  • Unzip the contents of SYSRESTORE.zip to this USB stick to create the System Restore USB stick
  • Put the System Restore USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick. (usually something like F8, F11 or F12 will bring up the BIOS boot menu).
  • Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP"
  • Select "Restore Entire Disk" from the GRUB menu.
  • System Restore will proceed automatically. When it is complete it will reboot into your freshly re-imaged SteamOS

The second method is based on the Debian Installer. It requires multiple configuration steps:

• Unzip the SteamOSInstaller.zip file to a blank, FAT32-formatted USB stick.
  • Put the USB stick in your target machine. Boot your machine and tell the BIOS to boot off the stick. (usually something like F8, F11, or F12 will bring up the BIOS boot menu).
  • Make sure you select the UEFI entry, it may look something like "UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP"
  • Pick "Automated Install" from the next menu.
  • The rest of the installation is unattended and will repartition the drive and install SteamOS.
  • After installation is complete, log onto the resulting system (using the Gnome session) with the predefined "steam" account. The password is "steam". Run steam, accept the EULA, and let it bootstrap. Logoff the steam account 
  • Log on with the "desktop" account. The password is "desktop"
  • From a terminal window, run ~/post_logon.sh. This will prompt for a password - enter "desktop". This script will perform the post-install customizations, delete itself, then reboot into the recovery partition capture utility. 
  • Confirm "y" to continue and the recovery partition will be created. When it is finished, reboot into your freshly installed SteamOS

from http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814395741989999/

I am running into an issue. It makes me carry out the install manually, and it's asking for drivers for additional components using a CD-ROM drive. It's the Celeron rig in my sig.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The torrent definitely has enough seeders, took 4 minutes to download it.

And crap, my only Nvidia machine is an HTPC and I can't fit a 3.5" drive in it... Why in the hell does it require a 500GB+ drive?

Trying to install it to my VirtualBox VM but running into problems like where to start?, does anyone know how to do it on the VM's?

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Cool, im still going to check mine when I get it as well.

yep mines good the unofficial torrent is legit. For those who dont want to use the magnet link or dont want to search any further, here is the unofficial torrent file for download http://goo.gl/WOFe5X

Edit: @solosdk your welcome to put the link in the OP if you want the torrent file is hosted on my own server.

The torrent definitely has enough seeders, took 4 minutes to download it.

And crap, my only Nvidia machine is an HTPC and I can't fit a 3.5" drive in it... Why in the hell does it require a 500GB+ drive?

Where does it mention it need a 500gb drive?

The Sysrestore image requires a 1TB drive, apparently. The regular install might not. Haven't tried it yet. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814395741989999/

Q: What are the SteamOS Hardware Requirements?
  • Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor
  • 4GB or more memory
  • 500GB or larger disk
  • NVIDIA graphics card (AMD and Intel graphics support coming soon)
  • UEFI boot support
  • USB port for installation

This seems kind of shady... Neither of these sites is from Valve itself sooo im going to leave this alone until I get an official download from Valve themselves.

It is from valve, in the top right corner it says how much money is in your steam wallet...

How would anyone other than valve have that info?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814395741989999/

Q: What are the SteamOS Hardware Requirements?

• Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor
  • 4GB or more memory
  • 500GB or larger disk
  • NVIDIA graphics card (AMD and Intel graphics support coming soon)
  • UEFI boot support
  • USB port for installation

Well damn I meay not be able to try this then unless I can free up my ancient WD RE3 500gb because almost all of my SSDs are smaller than that and all of my HDDs which are in use are multiple times bigger than than and they have better things to be doing than testing SteamOS

I will install it first on my computer with my NVIDIA card.  Then I will wait to install it on my main rig with my 7970 before I try streaming.  So excited.  In the meantime, I need two things.  One, does anyone have a dual-boot installation guide yet? And two, any tutorials on using a PS3 controller for Big Picture?

AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A-99X R2.0 EVO Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @1600MHz) - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (OC 1000MHz) - Corsair TX-650

Corsair H100i Fractal Design R4 Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 MadCatz R.A.T. 7 WD Caviar Black 2TB and Samsung 840 120GB

==="Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" ~ Master Yoda===

I will install it first on my computer with my NVIDIA card.  Then I will wait to install it on my main rig with my 7970 before I try streaming.  So excited.  In the meantime, I need two things.  One, does anyone have a dual-boot installation guide yet? And two, any tutorials on using a PS3 controller for Big Picture?

Come on dont ask for tutorials or guides, do the research and figure it out. I am not saying go out and code stuff im saying if the stuff is out there you can figure out how to get it working without some step by step guide.

I am running into an issue. It makes me carry out the install manually, and it's asking for drivers for additional components using a CD-ROM drive. It's the Celeron rig in my sig.

dont ask me :S i just copy pastaed what the faq on steam said

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i mean the FAQ said USB for installation. 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

i mean the FAQ said USB for installation.

that would be a good point there sir

Come on dont ask for tutorials or guides, do the research and figure it out. I am not saying go out and code stuff im saying if the stuff is out there you can figure out how to get it working without some step by step guide.

Telling people to "figure things out" is just being an insufferable cunt. I agree that people shouldn't rely on guides, but where the hell do you start without them? Everyone needs somewhere to start from, and you're effectively telling people to go jump (blindly) into the deep end without waterwings and with lead strapped to their feet.

on topic, I hope AMD support comes soon... Although I have yet to actually build the HTPC that will be streamed to... I'll probably just wait till the official release as steamOS doesn't really have a place on my main rig... I'm not going to dual boot for functionality I already have in the steam program, and I can't forgo windows - AutoCAD and origin are pretty important to me.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

i think he means asking here  when google has so many sites and guides about dual booting linux and windows the theory is the same. also i dont think there are any solid guides atm i mean people are still just messing around with stuff it hasnt been out long at all

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Telling people to "figure things out" is just being an insufferable cunt. I agree that people shouldn't rely on guides, but where the hell do you start without them? Everyone needs somewhere to start from, and you're effectively telling people to go jump (blindly) into the deep end without waterwings and with lead strapped to their feet.

on topic, I hope AMD support comes soon... Although I have yet to actually build the HTPC that will be streamed to... I'll probably just wait till the official release as steamOS doesn't really have a place on my main rig... I'm not going to dual boot for functionality I already have in the steam program, and I can't forgo windows - AutoCAD and origin are pretty important to me.

O well than im being a "insufferable cunt". im sorry but I learned most of what I know of this stuff from poking things until I screwed up and then fixing them. I mean I assume that if SteamOS has BT support it has some way to have it search for devices. Make the PS3 controller so that it can be found then search for it in SteamOS and once found add it. See what happens from there. If there is nothing native youll have to poke around for BT controller or eve PS3 controller support for steamOS which there probably wont be anything on since it JUST came out. Youll probably have to look up stuff that relatest to the version of linux that SteamOS is based on. @MystiqThunder that though be enough info there to get you started in some direction once you get SteamOS installed.