Spotify faces a 1.6 BILLION DOLLAR copyright lawsuit

mankeez

Sounds like they want to end Spotify.... that's what that number represents to me.

3 hours ago, Matu20 said:

Is 1.6b really a legit amount to be asking for?

3 hours ago, alphaproject said:

Sounds like they want to end Spotify.... that's what that number represents to me.

It's usually upto the judge to determine the amount, I would bet they have gone that high expecting the judge to knock it down to the figure they really want.  A bit like selling a used car. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Fuck? I just bought Premium.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Honestly I don't care what it's about, I just like to see Spotify hurt tbh. Spotify is trash, but there are literally no options for most of the music I listen too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Fuck? I just bought Premium.

Unless you bought a Premium Physical Gift Card, you can cancel at any time.

Just go to your account info and cancel from there. You'll stop being billed immediately.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Unless you bought a Premium Physical Gift Card, you can cancel at any time.

Just go to your account info and cancel from there. You'll stop being billed immediately.

Lol no what? Why do I want to cancel my premium. My only concern is that spotify will change something. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

59 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Honestly I don't care what it's about, I just like to see Spotify hurt tbh. Spotify is trash, but there are literally no options for most of the music I listen too

^^^

Yup. Tidal is losing money hand over first. Google, the huge and damn large company that they are, tried 2 or 3 times to launch a music streaming service and failed.

Apple is only doing well with Apple Music cos the Apple name is attached to it and cos it's re-branded Beats Radio and stuff.

Pandora is USA only. Same for iHeartRadio.

I've seen some people use YouTube (not YouTube Red or YouTube Music) for playing songs.

4 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Lol no what? Why do I want to cancel my premium. My only concern is that spotify will change something. 

Then why the annoyance at paying for it?

The only thing Spotify usually changes is the price. In HK when I originally started paying in Mid 2015, the price was pretty cheap and like $50 USD for 1 year. And then in 2017 Spotify raised the price to like $80 USD per year for HK.

And ofc in the UK, Spotify costs like 10 GBP per month which is the equivalent of $140 USD per year cos fml.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

54 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yea we're not on the same page here

Lol rage against the machine filing copyright 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

4 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Lol rage against the machine filing copyright 

can't even make this up. When did they change their minds

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

That makes sense now, when there are still jobs to be had. What happens when those disappear? And I'm not talking about the distant future, either. Look at McDonald's and how the kiosks have taken away the most basic entry level job. When self driving cars kick in, there goes a huge amount of careers. Taxis, bus drivers (which is a very well paying profession), personal drivers, then the jobs connected to those; security, maintenance personnel, etc.

It's true. But, if you really dig deep, the entire monetary system isn't really based on anything. We've long surpassed the amount of physical gold for the currency that's being thrown around. It will eventually collapse as well.

Anyway, it's a very interesting debate/topic, but let's not derail the thread :P

That's not a question of automation it's a question of minimum wage. If people were allowed to work for what they are willing to work for and the economy was allowed to equalize itself without interference, AND if the money were sound rather than garbage, it wouldn't be an issue. Sound money makes lower paying jobs liveable, no minimum wage makes automation and adaptation increase efficiency and efficacy organically, and prices of everything drop. People don't realize how much impact government interference has in making the world we live in more expensive and the value we produce worth less and less.

OT: Where does this 1.6B amount come from? is this based on Spotify's rates or a presumed rate from the plaintiffs?

3 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

Where does this 1.6B amount come from? is this based on Spotify's rates or a presumed rate from the plaintiffs?

My guess is the people involved had a cut in mind then added the lawyer %, either way the number is complete bs, this is the reason I find copyright to be retarded

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

16 hours ago, mr moose said:

Or just go back to the go old days where people paid $20 for the CD and the radio station paid a reasonable royalty per play.  That was enough to keep everyone happy.

If spotify can't pay royalties then its business model is flawed.  

I just pirated music instead back then. :S

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

Merch makes as much if not more than the actual music these days.  Look at the Jonas bro. and one direction.  John bonham would frog stomp beiber with talent any day of the week, but how many lunch boxes was his face on? 

Honestly most artist make a lot of their money from touring. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly most artist make a lot of their money from touring. 

I just checked the latest figures. Live music has only just passed cd sales for income. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

isn't this more about people posting things things thats not there then, spotify stealing shit?

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

^^^

Yup. Tidal is losing money hand over first. Google, the huge and damn large company that they are, tried 2 or 3 times to launch a music streaming service and failed.

Apple is only doing well with Apple Music cos the Apple name is attached to it and cos it's re-branded Beats Radio and stuff.

Pandora is USA only. Same for iHeartRadio.

I've seen some people use YouTube (not YouTube Red or YouTube Music) for playing songs.

The only thing Spotify usually changes is the price. In HK when I originally started paying in Mid 2015, the price was pretty cheap and like $50 USD for 1 year. And then in 2017 Spotify raised the price to like $80 USD per year for HK.

And ofc in the UK, Spotify costs like 10 GBP per month which is the equivalent of $140 USD per year cos fml.

Pandora and iheartradio are available in Aus. Although Pandora is rubbish.

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

can't even make this up. When did they change their minds

Probably when some music exec. bought the rights.  It happened to an Aussie act that got sued 20 years after release for infringing copyright that was 7o years old becasue the original owner died and a company bought the rights. This is the one instance where copyright law has holes in it and leaves me flabbergasted.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

I just pirated music instead back then. :S

Tut tut.

All these people suing could of just told Spotify to show their songs but say 'this artist only allows purchasing their music/no steaming" instead of just telling them no..

Did you know at one point in the past all music on Spotify had a right click 'buy' option which lead you to different stores to purchase the MP3?

I think a good middle ground would be something like "You may stream this entire song once before you must purchase it." I'd be more inclined to pay as well. Hearing a 30 second clip does not convince me I like a song to purchase it.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

Am I the only one who buys CDs and rips them? Y'know, to actually support bands I like? Hello? Anyone? shit

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 minute ago, 2Buck said:

Am I the only one who buys CDs and rips them? Y'know, to actually support bands I like? Hello? Anyone? shit

Depending on the label, buying CDs might not actually support most of the signed bands.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Depending on the label, buying CDs might not actually support most of the signed bands.

True, but it must be better than ripping their songs from youtube or visiting the pirate bay... Plus you get that sweet slip of paper/booklet with artwork and lyrics. ^^

Plus if I REALLY like a band I buy their merch. Since (IMO IMO IMO DONT KILL ME PEOPLE PLEASE) really good music is extremely rare I try to do my part in supporting it.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

6 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

That's not a question of automation it's a question of minimum wage. If people were allowed to work for what they are willing to work for and the economy was allowed to equalize itself without interference, AND if the money were sound rather than garbage, it wouldn't be an issue. Sound money makes lower paying jobs liveable, no minimum wage makes automation and adaptation increase efficiency and efficacy organically, and prices of everything drop. People don't realize how much impact government interference has in making the world we live in more expensive and the value we produce worth less and less.

OT: Where does this 1.6B amount come from? is this based on Spotify's rates or a presumed rate from the plaintiffs?

If you're talking about universal wage, it sure is. It has nothing to do with minimum wage, those are two different things. Universal wage is there to help the transition when there simply aren't enough jobs for the number of people, largely because of automation. That's why they're set up in communities (here, at least) that have been hit hard by sectors affected by automation.

Eventually there won't be jobs for everyone. It's inevitable. That's what universal wage tries to come to terms with.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you're talking about universal wage, it sure is. It has nothing to do with minimum wage, those are two different things. Universal wage is there to help the transition when there simply aren't enough jobs for the number of people, largely because of automation. That's why they're set up in communities (here, at least) that have been hit hard by sectors affected by automation.

Eventually there won't be jobs for everyone. It's inevitable. That's what universal wage tries to come to terms with.

Kiosks in McDonalds were not an issue of automation, but one of minimum wage. 

I constantly wonder what people think is being made by all this automation if no one has jobs to BUY the stuff being made? Economics is self equalizing if allowed to operate. Any attempt to shoehorn it one direction or another will cause more headaches than it fixes. A universal basic income is a wonderful thought. And for some it would be wholly workable. For others it won't be. There can be no single fix because there is no single issue. UBI may be one cog in a future economy but we shouldn't be trying to force it or expecting an apocalypse when things advance differently than we want.