Linus Torvalds is furious at Intel over its handling of the current processor security flaw

D13H4RD
9 hours ago, Bit_Guardian said:

ARM TrustZone has a few critical, unfixable security bugs too, meaning Zen has some.

No those are different implementations and I believe you are referring to EYPC only from past comments, as that is the only CPU to feature the ARM security chip. However no one gets to see that chip or interact with it so a flaw in that is incredibly hard to exploit unlike an actual ARM system.

AMD uses a custom firmware for it's use of the ARM security chip, probably flaws in that but it's unrelated to ARM TrustZone issues.

Interestingly if cloud providers were using AMD EPYC they likely would have been immune to Meltdown even if the Zen architecture was susceptible to Meltdown, as in customers being able to break out of the VM memory and to the host and other VMs on that host.

To start off, there is the tag team of Secure Memory Encryption (SME) and Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV). Secure Memory Encryption allows for full encryption of data stored in DRAM, and SEV allows individual virtual machines to be assigned a unique cryptographic key, thus isolating them from each other as well as the OS hypervisor and administrator layer. These functions are based on a hardware security processor attached to the memory controller with a 128-bit AES encryption engine.

That means you can have full memory encryption on virtualized machines, something that will be greatly appreciated by cloud services providers. It will let them assure customers that the memory and the virtual machines that live on their clouds are completely secured in a multi-tenant environment.

Where SME is designed for memory, SEV is specifically aimed at VMs and is designed to keep them from cross-contamination, since each VM has its own encryption key. It also allows unencrypted VMs to run alongside encrypted ones, which is a new option. Up to now, it’s been either/or, all-or-nothing. The keys are transparent to the VMs and managed by the protected hypervisor.

SVE doesn’t just work for static VMs; it also supports migrating VMs from one server to another while maintaining encryption throughout the process.

Then there is the Platform Security Processor (PSP), an ARM Cortex-A5 core on the Epyc die that controls the boot process and system security, and basically operates similar to Intel’s Management Engine in the Xeon. It provides secure boot and has full TPM functionality.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3204013/servers/epyc-win-for-amd-in-the-server-security-battle.html

I guess now is a good time for AMD to send some pre-sales engineers to every cloud provider and put on their smug faces lol.

On Thursday, January 04, 2018 at 12:15 PM, potoooooooo said:

I mean he's not wrong, but why is he relevant? When's the last time linus torvalds did something actually newsworthy?

Linux isn't relevant? Maybe you should tell that to all the major corporations that utilize the operating system on their servers that are basically the back bone to the internet.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

6 hours ago, Hellion said:

Linux isn't relevant? Maybe you should tell that to all the major corporations that utilize the operating system on their servers that are basically the back bone to the internet.

potoooooo did not say Linux isn't relevant, he said Torvolds wasn't. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

if linus has no idea how to make kernels and is completely incompetent then why would they use his kernel instead of making their own? is he the best kernel programmer in the world probably not but some of you guys think he has no idea what he is talking about

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

potoooooo did not say Linux isn't relevant, he said Torvolds wasn't. 

saying linus isnt relevant because he hasn't worked on linux in a while is like saying newton isnt relevant to physics because he didnt publish a physics paper in a while

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

if linus has no idea how to make kernels and is completely incompetent then why would they use his kernel instead of making their own? is he the best kernel programmer in the world probably not but some of you guys think he has no idea what he is talking about

The Linux kernel is not really his anymore. As its open source, literally anyone can adapt the kernel to their needs, and what the Linux kernel is today is far more due to the Linux development community than Torvalds.

All he did was make an acceptable kernel that was open source.

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

saying linus isnt relevant because he hasn't worked on linux in a while is like saying newton isnt relevant to physics since he didnt publish a physics paper in a while

Except Newtons contributions to physics were unchanging laws that haven't been able to be improved upon since inception.

Torvald's original kernel has been improved upon significantly, with his (nigh worthless) contribution been saying yay or nay on what he liked, for only the official versions of the LTS and utmost current versions.

Older kernels, he stopped touching.

And the Linux developer community wants Torvalds out. He's what's holding Linux back at this point.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

The Linux kernel is not really his anymore. As its open source, literally anyone can adapt the kernel to their needs, and what the Linux kernel is today is far more due to the Linux development community than Torvalds.

All he did was make an acceptable kernel that was open source.

Except Newtons contributions to physics were unchanging laws that haven't been able to be improved upon since inception.

Torvald's original kernel has been improved upon significantly, with his (nigh worthless) contribution been saying yay or nay on what he liked, for only the official versions of the LTS and utmost current versions.

Older kernels, he stopped touching.

And the Linux developer community wants Torvalds out. He's what's holding Linux back at this point.

um have you heard about a guy named Einstein and a common misconception is that laws in science can never be changed while theories can until they become a law. a theory never becomes a law and laws can be disproven just as easily as theories. laws are about what happens and theories are about how it happens. newton's laws have been improved upon and physics and sciences in general are a great example of something that is "open source"

This other Linus guy actually made me happy that I use Windows.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

35 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

This other Linus guy actually made me happy that I use Windows.

I've long thought that the advocates of the FOSS world tend to make good cases for embracing proprietary software -- it means you don't have to deal with them!

Richard Stallman is the other example.  He's so much of a hard-headed ideologue that his "freedom" actually traps him, preventing him from doing what most of us take for granted.  If he'd been in Tunisia during the Arab Spring, he'd have been too busy petitioning the regime to use Linux to bother stepping outside to secure real freedom (he'd probably have been unaware, since the protesters were using 'evil' proprietary Facebook and Twitter).  I suspect a Chinese iPhone user is far more liberated than Stallman will ever be.

Is that a guy who's always crying and showing middle fingers like 12 year old? xD

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Intel here, but man.. this guy is a circus.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

saying linus isnt relevant because he hasn't worked on linux in a while is like saying newton isnt relevant to physics because he didnt publish a physics paper in a while

In the context of this discussion absolutely he is irrelevant.  If Newton was alive to day and trying to tell Hawkins his black hole theory was wrong on similar unrelated experience then I would say the same about Newton (who is a personal hero of mine BTW).   Linus was something with regard to Linux , now he's not.  and even if he was, he is not a CPU engineer he is a software engineer.  I would not presume to tell a software engineer he was responsible for unforeseen bugs, Just like I would not expect anyone to tell me that a sudden blown speaker at a concert was due to my ineptitude as an sound engineer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

Exactly what?   If you are going to be rude and childish at least explain what you are being childish about.

You claimed that Linus Torvalds was irrelavent to linux even though he still very much has a hand in the base OS.

Have you ever even used a linux distrobution before?

Even if we ignore the fact that you are clearly wrong, maybe we could just fall back on your mentality that you shouldn't be critizing him unless you have programmed an OS yourself.

Great logic, huh?

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

9 minutes ago, N0rm said:

More than a hand, he has the last word. He's what in open-source is called a Benevolent Dictator for Life.

I wouldn't quite call him that. Several developers, myself included, have beaten his and his favourite devs' designs in the past on performance and met every integration test requirement, but if you slightly disagree with his philosophies, he'll lock you out for life. That's one reason I commit to Clang more than anything else these days. It's actually fun crushing GCC and Linux underfoot as long as I can see him get visibly pissed off in person.

He's an arrogant, egotistical, experienced, intelligent, but jaded man-child.

On 1/4/2018 at 12:15 PM, potoooooooo said:

I mean he's not wrong, but why is he relevant? When's the last time linus torvalds did something actually newsworthy?

A few days ago. What he said is newsworthy in itself.

He is right, Intel is full of BS...

Zen-III-X12-5900X (Gaming PC)

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35,3MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X(ECO mode), 12-cores, 24-threads, 4.5/4.8GHz, 70.5MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2.6GHz 10.6 TFLOPS (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600(ASUS Performance Enhancement), 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,7MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1.5GHz 10.54 TFLOPS (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

On 1/10/2018 at 11:55 PM, Hellion said:

You claimed that Linus Torvalds was irrelavent to linux even though he still very much has a hand in the base OS.

Have you ever even used a linux distrobution before?

Even if we ignore the fact that you are clearly wrong, maybe we could just fall back on your mentality that you shouldn't be critizing him unless you have programmed an OS yourself.

Great logic, huh?

You seem to be assuming I am some numpty with no experience.  Let me introduce myself for you:

1. I was studying processor design back in 1993 as part of my electronic engineering and computer sciences studies.

2. Since then I have been an IT technician, Hardware consultant,  domestic/commercial hardware installer/builder.

3. I ran an exclusive Linux house hold for many years until both my children needed to use windows pc's for school and I got back into gaming.  I now run freenas instead of debian for my file server because it is easier and with the later versions of windows I have no need for a hardware firewall anymore.

4. In the last 20 years I have associated with many IT professionals. Many of whom believe that currently Linux would be better without torvalds. 

As you can see (but probably will just ignore or dismiss) I have been apart of this industry building and consulting longer than most of LTT users have been alive.  I am by no means perfect and I do get things wrong (because I am human), but this does not make all my opinions and experience irrelevant.

Whether you like it or not, Linus not being relevant to Linux is a personal opinion held by not just me, but by many in the industry. It is not something you can just say is "wrong". Linus is to Linux what Steve jobs was to apple.  His sudden demise had no effect on their revenue, market share or industry relevance but apple wouldn't be what it is without him.  I love Linux, I still play around with it, I personally was in charge of a few Linux servers in my years in and out of the industry, but if Torvalds was to die tomorrow Linux would not get worse.

So as per my original comments,  Linus Torvalds is no more qualified to talk about CPU engineering failures than an Intel engineer is to complain about Linux security.   If he has something to say about the kernel or the software that runs on it then fine. But at the moment it seems he is the only software engineer that thinks Intel is making this worse.