My take on Intel refuse to patch the bug.

Security > Performance, do the patch... the more we have learned on the subject the more we realized the performance hit to normal folk will be minimal, enough to ignore the entire drama... certainly gonna hit some enterprise level business hard specially virtualization scenarios but people looking into content creation, gaming & streaming and what not this is painting out to be completely harmless.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just watch a video on the exploit.  

Apparently the fix does not have any impact on games and general workstation tasks (raw compute like blender etc).

However this is a massive deal for networks and servers.

Sure it will be rolled out like all the other windows patches. 

Strange how this comes to life as Intel's new CPU's do this memory checking differently now and are far less affected.

25 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

AMD processors also have similar design flaws that needs the Patch, the difference is that Intel has it worse.

Intel kernel flaw opens door for both Meltdown and Spectre exploits while AMD chips only opens door for the Spectre exploit, either ways both needs fixing:

https://meltdownattack.com/

Thank you! I was just talking about the meltdown exploit, but I'll look into the other.

~ Luc Luc

Looks like everyday use and gaming will be unaffected ;

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I have just bought an AMD ryzen processor and next week i will install windows 10.

Will the patch reduce my processor's speed 5-30% as happens at intel's speed?

2 minutes ago, kluader said:

I have just bought an AMD ryzen processor and next week i will install windows 10.

unless you're doing high end workstation stuff or running VMs or servers, you're not going to feel the effects of it. people need to calm the hell down, it's not the end of the world.

any performance loss will be mitigated over time, this rush fix is just a temporary thing to patch the exploit, then they have time to create the work arounds which will alleviate the performance loss

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

unless you're doing high end workstation stuff or running VMs or servers, you're not going to feel the effects of it. people need to calm the hell down, it's not the end of the world.

any performance loss will be mitigated over time, this rush fix is just a temporary thing to patch the exploit, then they have time to create the work arounds which will alleviate the performance loss

its annoying, you know it.
Why the amd cpu is affected too by the patch?

2 minutes ago, kluader said:

its annoying, you know it.
Why the amd cpu is affected too by the patch?

its annoying how we're getting so many questions about the same stuff when the answer is in other threads, yes.

Because it's a change to the kernal of the operating system that the CPU needs to talk to, which isn't tied to the CPU make.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

-snip-

but how will people complain about the 30% now? geez, facts are such a buzzkill

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

21 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Screenshot_2018-01-03-13-16-06-951_com.emogoth.android.phone_mimi.png.d8db68ddf9920ef92e3424cc7d2ddf04.png

this is from /g/ and it sums it up pre well

You forgot that Intel‘s new 10nm has been delayed as well.

Intel got comfortable in the lead and has been greedy and slacking. Looks like they will soon be starting to pay the price.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

16 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

its annoying how we're getting so many questions about the same stuff when the answer is in other threads, yes.

Because it's a change to the kernal of the operating system that the CPU needs to talk to, which isn't tied to the CPU make.

After what ive read here: http://nordic.businessinsider.com/intel-chip-bug-meltdown-and-spectre-explained-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

Meltdown is mostly exclusive to Intel. However Spectre is to both. Spectre is harder to pull of hence less of a panic. Spectre isnt expected to je fixed with this patch and requires it to be fixed at the processor level. Dont take my word though. Read it yourself and please point out any misstakes in my interpretation

38 minutes ago, kluader said:

No your performance will be the same it has always been, the patch only affects performance on very specific enterprise orientated workloads such as deep virtualization, data center and cloud solutions, people with common mainstream CPUs with PCID (any thing Sandy Bridge or newer) are not going to feel any bit of difference:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Vode said:

Intel got comfortable in the lead and has been greedy and slacking.

Logically this makes zero sense.

Given that this is a flaw in the speculative execution algorithms that were implemented supposedly back in the Pentium Pro when Intel first launched it and it took this long to figure out there was a problem with meant it was not obvious.

And there are plenty of cases were static analysis alone doesn't really paint the entire picture of how the system will behave. I found a bug in software at the last company I worked due to a design issue. A design made by rather smart people who did things like whip up an LTE system within months to replace a product that used an old and under-performing radio system for communication. And even then at first glance at the design document, I'd argue most people would think the design was fine. The flaw showed itself only after doing a corner case, which in all likelihood was not going to happen. And even then, there could've been five other things that were wrong before I got to the software itself. Investigating this problem took a better part of a half-year for what ended up being a relatively simple fix.

But eh, what do I know? I'm sure all the armchair computer engineers out there know better than me.

EDIT: The only way for the "greedy" argument to pass is if Intel knew about this flaw for years. But as it stands, they were made aware of it recently and it wasn't made public until just now because that's what you're supposed to do in the security community. You report it privately to the stakeholders so they can assess the situation and find a way to fix the problem. You don't just throw out an exploit and its details without giving a chance for the stakeholders to fix it.

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Logically this makes zero sense.

Given that this is a flaw in the speculative execution algorithms that were implemented supposedly back in the Pentium Pro when Intel first launched it and it took this long to figure out there was a problem with meant it was not obvious.

And there are plenty of cases were static analysis alone doesn't really paint the entire picture of how the system will behave. I found a bug in software at the last company I worked due to a design issue. A design made by rather smart people who did things like whip up an LTE system within months to replace a product that used an old and under-performing radio system for communication. And even then at first glance at the design document, I'd argue most people would think the design was fine. The flaw showed itself only after doing a corner case, which in all likelihood was not going to happen. And even then, there could've been five other things that were wrong before I got to the software itself. Investigating this problem took a better part of a half-year for what ended up being a relatively simple fix.

But eh, what do I know? I'm sure all the armchair computer engineers out there know better than me.

I wasn‘t talking about the bug specifically. I‘m adding to the „everything is fine“ statement and the grand scheme. I know the bug is not the result of what I said.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vode said:

You wasted your time tying all of this. I wasn‘t talking about the bug specifically. I‘m adding to the „everything is fine“ statement and the grand scheme. I know the bug is not the result of what I said.

I think that says "everything is fire"

Hi, I have multiple PC and Laptops which are using Intel CPU. May I know how do I know if my CPU are affected by the leaks?

And if mine are affected, How do I fix them?

Thanks.

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

3 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

Hi, I have multiple PC and Laptops which are using Intel CPU. May I know how do I know if my CPU are affected by the leaks?

If they're 64-bit and newer than Core 2, then they're affected. It's that simple.

4 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

And if mine are affected, How do I fix them?

You install OS-updates. There is no other fix.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

If they're 64-bit and newer than Core 2, then they're affected. It's that simple.

You install OS-updates. There is no other fix.

OS Updates? Do you mean Microsoft Windows Updates, Mac OS updates?

How do I know if Microsoft and Apple has released the updates?

Mine is 3615QM, 4790K and there is another with Dell Laptop with Intel's 7th Gen. 

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

Patches are already being released for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3245606/security/intel-x86-cpu-kernel-bug-faq-how-it-affects-pc-mac.html

Read more at this link.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

2 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

OS Updates? Do you mean Microsoft Windows Updates, Mac OS updates?

How do I know if Microsoft and Apple has released the updates?

Yes, you just install latest updates. Microsoft is supposed to release the patch next week. I have no idea about Apple, I do not use any Apple-stuff.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, you just install latest updates. Microsoft is supposed to release the patch next week. I have no idea about Apple, I do not use any Apple-stuff.

2 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3245606/security/intel-x86-cpu-kernel-bug-faq-how-it-affects-pc-mac.html

Read more at this link.

I have read that the Patches would slower the CPUs. Is that true?

Just now, MrFriendism said:

I have read that the Patches would slower the CPUs. Is that true?

If you don't run virtual-machines, do heavy database-stuff or offer web-services for hundreds/thousands of people or similar heavy-duty stuff, then you have nothing to worry. Normal users and gamers shouldn't see much of any difference.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

If you don't run virtual-machines, do heavy database-stuff or offer web-services for hundreds/thousands of people or similar heavy-duty stuff, then you have nothing to worry. Normal users and gamers shouldn't see much of any difference.

I do a lot of Chrome thing and similar which is very heavy. Like 50 + tabs or so sometimes.

6 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Read more at this link.

I haven't received any patches yet.