Intel i7-8809G Chip with Radeon Vega Graphics appears on Intel's India Website

Tataffe
7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Now if these VEGA M gpus are good and it's socket type, then I do wish some manufacture can make a cpu socket to PCIe adapter, like those old school days, where it can swap out just the chip instead of the whole video card.

Something like this, but PCIe

Slot1-Skt370-A2.jpg

46 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Oooooo Never seen that before! That looks cool! Want! :) Any idea what that came with?

It's just a Socket 370 to Slot 1 converter card.  I ran into a few of them over the years, though they never took off very well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_1

If you scroll down about 1/3rd of the way on the page, you'll see a picture of it on the right.

47 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

So these are gonna be mobile only, right? :(  Would be interesting to see a desktop version for an ultra sff gaming pc. Also looking forward to Raven Ridge for the same reasons. Those chips could be the real console killers I'd say. 

Well the prototype board we have seen was STX so there is still hope, and the fact that it's listed as "100W target" does not seem too mobile friendly if you ask me

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well the prototype board we have seen was STX so there is still hope, and the fact that it's listed as "100W target" does not seem too mobile friendly if you ask me

You can choose low performance or higher power usage. No getting around that. Every time I fought against the laws of physics, physics won. 100W target should be easy enough for lower cost "gaming" laptops in medium size form factors.

I'm more curious what the GPU performance will be. Based on the speculation referred to but not verified by Anandtech, the top model could be comparable in configuration to something between a RX 560 and RX 570. Given the power limitations, I'd be more inclined to think they will run more cores at slightly lower clock to balance performance/watt and it'll be closer to RX 560 performance. So on the positive side, this shouldn't be interesting to miners, unless it comes out very cheap. No danger of that then given Intel.

Edit: for illustration, my current gaming laptop in 15" form factor has a 6700HQ (45W TDP) and 970M (75W TDP), so the new chip combo from Intel could compare against that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Why do you say?

Because so many options! I think building a PC, even though current RAM and GPU prices make it expensive, was never as easy and as customizeable as today.

11 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Here's the ironic side of this:

Won't this cannibalize AMDs sales of any upcoming APUs?

I mean I suppose for AMD it doesn't matter because no matter what happens, they're still gonna be making money in the end. But I know if I was a consumer, I would go for the intel CPU with AMD graphics rather than an AMD APU due to their historically lower single-threaded performance. 

The alternative would likely be Nvidia graphics on the Intel chip, so no, this is probably the best way to go for AMD.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Now if these VEGA M gpus are good and it's socket type, then I do wish some manufacture can make a cpu socket to PCIe adapter, like those old school days, where it can swap out just the chip instead of the whole video card.

Something like this, but PCIe

Slot1-Skt370-A2.jpg

Would pcie have enough bandwidth though?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

That being said releasing this CPU for the notebook market would make a ton of sense. But I don't see any of the "U" or "M" branding typically associated with mobile parts from intel in the CPU name. 

I expect this kind of part to be used in mass-produced mid-range SFF computers aimed at mainstream gamers. It would make a ton of sense for OEMs to go after the console market by offering a plug-and-play experience with a decent price-to-performance ratio. Maybe it's just because it reminds me of the scorpio SoC, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me.

50 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Would pcie have enough bandwidth though?

Why not? 

All video cards runs on pcie x16. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Why not? 

All video cards runs on pcie x16. 

You need more than just GPUs. RAM for example needs over 50 GB/s of bandwidth, which even with pcie 4.0 would require over 24 links.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You need more than just GPUs. RAM for example needs over 50 GB/s of bandwidth, which even with pcie 4.0 would require over 24 links.

I was talking about the gpu part only not the cpu part. I see future gpus to be modular, meaning instead of changing the entire card, you can just swapped out the gpu, just like how you would change your cpu on your motherboard. Higher end pcbs with better vrm and power delivery lets you run better gpus, compared to mid-range or entry level ones.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I was talking about the gpu part only not the cpu part. I see future gpus to be modular, meaning instead of changing the entire card, you can just swapped out the gpu, just like how you would change your cpu on your motherboard. Higher end pcbs with better vrm and power delivery lets you run better gpus, compared to mid-range or entry level ones.

Derp I just realized I completely mis understood you. My bad.

I thought you were talking about putting a CPU on a pcie device, not a gpu :D 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Derp I just realized I completely mis understood you. My bad.

I thought you were talking about putting a CPU on a pcie device, not a gpu :D 

Well... There is Xeon Phi? :P that's 70 something atoms that Intel thought it was fun to glue together and sell to researchers and stuff 

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

While I'd love for this to be the future I highly doubt it, it would in a way be quite limiting, you could only have up to a certain size of the silicon in one socket so there would be a need for multiple sockets, or maybe every generation would need a new board and then you are locked to upgrading within a generation and if the lower end boards don't support the best chips then they have no upgrade path and you might as well have bought a card with the core soldered on. While a lot of fun, I see a LOT of problems... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

59 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well... There is Xeon Phi? :P that's 70 something atoms that Intel thought it was fun to glue together and sell to researchers and stuff 

While I'd love for this to be the future I highly doubt it, it would in a way be quite limiting, you could only have up to a certain size of the silicon in one socket so there would be a need for multiple sockets, or maybe every generation would need a new board and then you are locked to upgrading within a generation and if the lower end boards don't support the best chips then they have no upgrade path and you might as well have bought a card with the core soldered on. While a lot of fun, I see a LOT of problems... 

They can apply the cycle for motherboards and cpus. Just look at AMD supporting AM4 up to 2020 or so.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

59 minutes ago, SomeCallMeJo said:

Damn 100W, I was expecting it to be used on ultra portable laptop, oh well. :(

I've read the 100TDP is the OC headroom and the cpus allows for overclocking

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

https://videocardz.com/74631/intel-launches-8th-gen-core-processor-with-radeon-rx-vega-graphics

Doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for it, as it'll be official in a day. Videocardz appears to have got hold of and posted the announcement early. In short, up to 24 CUs like earlier rumours. Connected to Intel "8th generation" CPU by PCIe 8x. GPU has 4GB of HMB2. Claim of slightly faster performance than I7-7700HQ with GTX1060 Max-Q.

If I remember correctly, the "8th generation" mobile parts are still Kaby Lake, so probably not much difference there other than a minor clock bump. Also the 1060 is a Max-Q version, isn't that design optimised to enable it to function as well as it could given laptop constraints? I'm not that familiar with games used, but I think at least some on the list are the more "AMD GPU friendly" ones.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 1/1/2018 at 7:56 PM, Canada EH said:

Why do you say? [that there are good times ahead in the cpu segment]

Well we finally have quad cores for cheap on both AMD and Intel (even though the i3s still suffer from the lack of entry level motherboards), and they're good quad cores not like the Athlon X4 was. And in general the competition got to Intel and is forcing them to make moves to win us back, which is good for the consumer.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:50 PM, leadeater said:

It would have to go on a new socket and there has been no rumors of new sockets as far as I've heard which would also mean new motherboards, BGA sounds the most likely to me.

But then why is it listed with the overclockable CPUs? Is it an overclockable BGA mobile chip only? My explanation is that the die, as is rendered, could be then soldered to an LGA 2066 PCB, or LGA 1151 if they manage to magically fit it in. I bet that it does easily fit in the 2066 PCB though.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

39 minutes ago, Energycore said:

But then why is it listed with the overclockable CPUs? Is it an overclockable BGA mobile chip only? My explanation is that the die, as is rendered, could be then soldered to an LGA 2066 PCB, or LGA 1151 if they manage to magically fit it in. I bet that it does easily fit in the 2066 PCB though.

Overclockable just means unlock multi, all of Intel's mobile CPUs are BGA even the overclockable ones. 1151 doesn't have enough pins to give power traces to the GPU and 2066 would have to be very customized, don't see the point, and both are physically under sized. More likely to see this chip in laptops and embedded on motherboards like the Atom ones.

Asrock will have a high end option like these, https://www.asrock.com/mb/index.us.asp#Intel CPU

Edit:

Argh stupid space in link, include CPU at the end else link wont work.

Just now, leadeater said:

Overclockable just means unlock multi, all of Intel's mobile CPUs are BGA even the overclockable ones. 1151 doesn't have enough pins to give power traces to the GPU and 2066 would have to be very customized, don't see the point, and both are physically under sized. More likely to see this chip in laptops and embedded on motherboards like the Atom ones.

Asrock will have a high end option like these, https://www.asrock.com/mb/index.us.asp#Intel CPU

Interesting. Well I'm hoping we get something like this on the desktop just like AMD plans to make Ryzen + Vega APUs.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Hmmmmmmmmm this post was literally two weeks ago and NOW LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!!!!

On 1/2/2018 at 3:16 PM, CUDA_Cores said:

Here's the ironic side of this:

Won't this cannibalize AMDs sales of any upcoming APUs?

I mean I suppose for AMD it doesn't matter because no matter what happens, they're still gonna be making money in the end. But I know if I was a consumer, I would go for the intel CPU with AMD graphics rather than an AMD APU due to their historically lower single-threaded performance. 

While AMD and Radeon are still technically the same company they run separately so Radeon is free to work with other vendors, and in this case, competitors of AMD.