The iMac Pro is $$$... - Classic Unboxing

I would love to see a watercooled iMac where the tubes stuck out from the sides so you can see that it's watercooled.

And I'd love to see Apple go under but I don't think LTT can give us that :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

See how many adapters it would take to get it to have external expansion , like usb 3 to pci-e to pci-e splitter to a few gtx 1080's and such.

paint it with plastidip to match the color options of the original imacs

see if putting it in a walk in freezer / outside in the winter will affect the temps

try to build a pc that is the same form factor and speed (monitor and case AIO)

those are my ideas I'm tapped out

17 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Gotta do iMac pro vs a threadripper PC in the same budget sands pointless 5k display with a 4k IPS display of some kind.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

In the next video I want to see the back of it and take a look at the cooling solution they came up with. Also if he does do the dual xeon build it would be cool to see how fast final cut pro is on both (hackintosh it maybe).

How about a DIY all-in one? I bet you can fit watercooled gear into the back of a 28" 4K monitor or even a 29" Ultrawide.

If it's already been done by LMG and someone knows the video, I'd love to take a look

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

you would need a 2010 or 2012 mac pro with PCIe for 10gb networking. they are still great machines with enough space for 2 gpus and 1 single slot(300w max between them), 12 core and 48gb of ram and 4 drive bays

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Linus during your review could you please do some export tests with Da Vinci Resolve 14 testing the export speeds of - 

Arri RAW 3.2K - 3168 x 1782 > DNxHD115 1080P

Arri RAW 2.8K 4:3 2880x2160 > DNxHD115 1080P

(Tests clips can be found here - http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/learn/alexa_sample_footage/)

It would also be fantastic to know how your 8K Helium footage fairs as well on this machine - around 6:1 Compression in 8K 16:9 and a 4K 1:1 mode or if you don't have access to 1:1 yet then just 16:9 would be great!

Im currently working on a project with a major streaming service and the team Im working with want to swap out our Mac Pro's for these to fill the gap between the new Mac Pro - as if these are quicker than the current top spec Mac Pro or at least give us an indication of what the top spec iMac Pro can do this could save us significant time during renders. But we don't want to plonk down the money for 5 machines and have to waste time sending them back. 

2 things I want to see, I want to see a tone down on the price complaints. A similarly specced Dell or HP Z workstation is near the same price without a monitor. Part for part a PC is nearly the same price. Yes you can save money by using cheaper parts but that not a true comparison. 

Also attempt to learn the operating system. Mac OS is fine. It's not hard. It's not awkward. It's very user friendly. I was a lifelong Windows guy and when I got my first Mac I figured out how to use it within the first hour or so. 

Just go into this without any bias. It's not necessary. 

There are a tonne of people who will buy this. Pro Enthusiasts are a minority. The majority of working professionals don't give a crap about tinkering/upgrading. They just go into work everyday and want their machine to work and get the job done and any issues are dealt with via IT or some support company. 

Think about this @LinusTech @nicklmg people who buy this are those who also buy RED 8k cameras and things like that. The cost of this machine is a fraction of those cameras. Also the financial return from the work done with that equipment should be part of a business plan to write off the cost value of the equipment within a certain amount of time. 

Id like to see a Windows 10 Bootcamp install where we look at the same suite of benchmarks that we use when we system build. So 3DMark Time Spy and FireStrike Extreme, Cinebench, Geekbench 4, etc. Then maybe hit it with a couple games. Also, is there any difference in the 10gb network throughput between OSX and Win10? Wasn't sure if Win10 was faster with SMB shares.

Finally, it might be nice to see how it deals with VR natively in OSX and compare that to how it does in Win10. Without an eGPU, this is by far the most powerful graphics Apple has made available so far.

Fundamentally, the end users for these are going to be in an OSX based workflow, enterprise situation. They search for reliability above all else, as an hour of downtime may cost the companies 10's, if not 100's of thousands of *insert relevant currency*. If that means paying $2000 more (If you ignore software licensing for a basic financial comparison, and focus on raw hardware, you will barely save $2000 on the max spec), they'll go for it.

However, if they are in such a position to be buying these en masse, they probably also have an enterprise contract with Apple, and won't even pay the full whack pricing - Hell, I know my workplace won't have to when someone inevitably requests one, we've roughly 10 apple computers come through in the past few months at about 65% of their consumer oriented retail price. If they allow the same on these, the alternative of either upgrading base units or going for something like a hackintosh will be more expensive, and less reliable.

2 hours ago, H20Cooled said:

Finally, it might be nice to see how it deals with VR natively in OSX.

Yes and No. So they announced support for VR in June, great. Awesome. Lets be realistic here though; Mac's are a relatively niche market, VR has not truly hit mainstream on any platform, couple that with inherent costs, what would it actually genuinely prove? There is no true real-world application for it, at this time; so why waste time testing something that is a minutely niche aspect of an already niche market?

More useful tests for encoding and computational power tests would be more appropriate for this, Gaming benchmarks on a system like this is just pissing time and money into the wind.

I was wondering when you were going to show up with those Supermicro square ILM heatsinks... desperate people I suppose.

I hope you realize they are only rated for 140W processors - your ten-thousand-dollar-each 8180's will get fried :P:P:P

Be smart and wait for EK's socket P block - you know they are coming don't you?

Linus how about tearing down this and upgrading in Linus way

Also built the PC same as that of iMac and do a price and performance comparison

9 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Gotta do iMac pro vs a threadripper PC in the same budget sands pointless 5k display with a 4k IPS display of some kind.

The iMac Pro uses true workstation grade hardware including an Intel Xeon processor. The iMac Pro seems overpriced because the general consumer doesn't need the true workstation hardware. 

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

The iMac Pro uses true workstation grade hardware including an Intel Xeon processor. The iMac Pro seems overpriced because the general consumer doesn't need the true workstation hardware. 

5a4746ad4edcf_iMacVsThreadripper.thumb.jpg.abeca57fa61b385f78132702ad72fea5.jpgI priced out the MKBHD version, you get more cores, better cooling, and 3 4k displays going that route.

Not sure what the $5000 difference is, RAM pricing being insane and what not.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

I'd like to see Apple exposed as the lying con artists that they actually are.

As opposed to the other beacons of morality like Samsung, Google, Intel, AMD, and nVidia? 

Only a fool would want Apple to go out of business. Competition is good for consumers, even for dumb fanboys who don't realize it. 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

12 minutes ago, applebook said:

Android has tons of competition within itself, apple's practices are generally anti-consumer.

Spoiler

apple claims that this thing's heatpipe is redesigned, see whether it throttles under osx and windows. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Android has tons of competition within itself, apple's practices are generally anti-consumer.

Android in its current form wouldn't exist if not for the iPhone. We'd still be using Palm OS with low resolution screens and keyboards. 

What does Android have to do with the iMac anyway? It's not a coincidence that IPS panels became industry standard in the PC industry once Apple mass marketed it. You want to be using 768p TN panels forever? 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

2 hours ago, applebook said:

As opposed to the other beacons of morality like Samsung, Google, Intel, AMD, and nVidia? 

Only a fool would want Apple to go out of business. Competition is good for consumers, even for dumb fanboys who don't realize it. 

If you had a clue how Apple do business, you'd know that they're about throttling competition, for example attempting to stop anyone from having their own products repaired for a reasonable amount, instead of the rip off prices that Apple charges. You can't talk about Apple and competition in the same sentence unless you're either ignorant of how they operate or just trolling.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:26 AM, William Payne said:

2 things I want to see, I want to see a tone down on the price complaints. A similarly specced Dell or HP Z workstation is near the same price without a monitor. Part for part a PC is nearly the same price. Yes you can save money by using cheaper parts but that not a true comparison. 

Also attempt to learn the operating system. Mac OS is fine. It's not hard. It's not awkward. It's very user friendly. I was a lifelong Windows guy and when I got my first Mac I figured out how to use it within the first hour or so. 

Just go into this without any bias. It's not necessary. 

There are a tonne of people who will buy this. Pro Enthusiasts are a minority. The majority of working professionals don't give a crap about tinkering/upgrading. They just go into work everyday and want their machine to work and get the job done and any issues are dealt with via IT or some support company. 

Think about this @LinusTech @nicklmg people who buy this are those who also buy RED 8k cameras and things like that. The cost of this machine is a fraction of those cameras. Also the financial return from the work done with that equipment should be part of a business plan to write off the cost value of the equipment within a certain amount of time. 

YES million times YES to this. People forget that if something breaks in their self built "workstation" they have no where to go and have to figure out what is wrong and deal with fixing/replacing on component by component basis. Companies would not even consider letting someone buy and build self built machine because downtime is $$$$. 

And yes Linus's whining - "I dont know how to use this so its bad" is really annoying. Linus you know you dont have to use inbuilt apps? You don't use windows inbuilt player, right? Try to look around the corner for much better apps than those that come preinstalled. Maybe spend a week or so learning the OS.