Proposed DMCA exemption that could allow resurrection of dead online multiplayer games

timourf

Probably the single most frustrating thing about older online games, and something Luke has mentioned a few times on WAN show regarding WoW servers, is when the game servers (running proprietary server software) are 'killed off'.

Understandably, a game company cannot be expected to operate a server after a game exceeds its lifespan; that is not financially feasible. Individuals have often tried running independent servers for such games but what happens in a lot of those cases is they end up with a cease and desist notice from the copyright holder.

The new proposal would apply to games that have been shut down by the producer, so not WoW unfortunately. However, there are still hundreds of old title that could be brought back and more 'dying' all the time.

The Made and other groups such as the digital rights group Public Knowledge want non-profits to be allowed to preserve such games before they fall into obscurity. The exemptions would apply to any abandoned games that require an online server to operate.

It may not quite be everything we're after, but if it passes will be a step in the right direction. Opponents of the proposal have until February to present arguments and the final decision will be announced mid-March (2018).

SOURCES

https://www.techspot.com/news/72437-renewed-proposal-seeks-dmca-exemption-abandoned-online-games.html

https://torrentfreak.com/gamers-want-dmca-exemption-for-abandoned-online-games-171221/

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/261144-non-profits-want-dmca-exception-preserve-abandoned-online-games

Good to know. hope it works out. sick of companies refusing to bring up some good games that they killed off and no way to play them cause they are all multiplayer only. looking at you EA regarding bf servers. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

I seriously hope this goes through.
There are a lot of games that are killed even though they can be quite good. (Battleforge comes to mind).
I know the Youtuber Accursed Farms (famous for: Ross' Game dungeon, and Freeman's Mind) started a channel that was dedicated to news about games dying

This would be neat. Hope it gets passed. Honestly, this should have been a thing awhile ago... But better late than never.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

19 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I can already see $$$ popping up on the right bank accoints and this will be dismissed witha BS reason... :(

Totally possible and would be a shame if it did, but I can't think of a good reason they would want to (fingers crossed). Because this would apply only to games that are shut down by the producer, they wouldn't be making any money off it, right?

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

I can already see $$$ popping up on the right bank accoints and this will be dismissed witha BS reason... :(

I'm more worried that they have used such a flimsy argument in the first place. They won;t require a BS reason to dismiss it if the only argument hey have made is that they are worried the games will be lost. That argument can be countered very easily on grounds that they are either very well archived and documented, or the owner of the IP has the  right to keep it lost if they want.  

I really hope they have another argument that can't be countered quite so easy,  I made a comment about that in the other thread regarding this news.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Interesting. 

Anyway I'm looking forward to WoW Classic :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I doubt this will pass. Companies with tremendous bribe lobbying power would not risk losing out on even a single dollar of revenue, even if it meant they gave entertainment and joy to millions of people without having to lift a finger.

Makes perfect sense to do this. Just cause the devs dont want to spend time and money running servers for games, shit, let us do it. Obviously they have no more use for it.

BRING BACK OLD POKÉMON GTS

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler