Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 is now out, the future is here!

My hat goes off to you guys for still being interested in the project, if paid for something and it sat in limbo for this long i'd be pissed lol 

Having a 8700k and 1080ti and getting less than 20fps makes my brain hurt.  

10 minutes ago, Gullerback said:

Having a 8700k and 1080ti and getting less than 20fps makes my brain hurt.  

lol, when will you realize its but a giant ponzi scheme?

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

i got it for free

10 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

I mean currently, this update does look massive compared to the last one, the higher number kinda makes sense in this scenario.

0.3, 1.3, you can see where I am going with this.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

9 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Both sides of the industry have their problems.

It isn't the way they're developing it, it's just the pace of development. 

And the AAA industry has some exciting titles coming soon. Red Dead 2, Far Cry 5, Monster Hunter World, etc, etc. 

Remember that this was originally funded in 2012.. that's 5 years ago. 

Soon to be 6. 

Games like Fallout 3, New Vegas, 4, and Skyrim or Oblivion more than likely took just as long.

Not to mention other MMO's (not fair to compare SC to a non-mmo but still, some non-mmo's have spent quite a while in development)

The only difference here is the lack of a veil of secrecy. That and a the lack of a giant publisher whipping the developers whilst scream "code faster we want our money" etc.

Also considering how the industry has been lately, I am excited for none of those games. Red Dead 2 isn't coming to PC any time soon, and when it does it will undoubtedly be laden with micro transactions the way GTA V is.

Fallout 4 took about 6 years http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-the-fallout-4-development-team-2015-12

Skyrim took about 4 http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/09/the-making-of-skyrim

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 hours ago, Phentos said:

Yawn... Wake me up when the game releases. By then I might be balls deep into GTA 7 though.

Dude don't throw away your life like that you have so much to live for, you know this game is never actually coming out in fact, this might be the high point of the wave it's aaaaall gonna be downhill now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Dude don't throw away your life like that you have so much to live for, you know this game is never actually coming out in fact, this might be the high point of the wave it's aaaaall gonna be downhill now.

Better to believe in something and fail than settle for the mediocre pile of shit that is the current games industry.

13 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Games like Fallout 3, New Vegas, 4, and Skyrim or Oblivion more than likely took just as long.

Not to mention other MMO's (not fair to compare SC to a non-mmo but still, some non-mmo's have spent quite a while in development)

The only difference here is the lack of a veil of secrecy. That and a the lack of a giant publisher whipping the developers whilst scream "code faster we want our money" etc.

Also considering how the industry has been lately, I am excited for none of those games. Red Dead 2 isn't coming to PC any time soon, and when it does it will undoubtedly be laden with micro transactions the way GTA V is.

You know what else FO3, NV, FO4, Skyrim and Oblivion had in common? Accountability i.e. actually having to deliver a product by X date otherwise the board of directors will get your ass out on the street.

Who's Roberts accountable to? Bunch of naive people who already donated to the project? The specially hopeful he's able to double and triple dip on if he needs more donations? Big deal legally he can just disappear into the caiman islands with all the fucking money without releasing any more shit and nobody would be able to do anything about it.

Crowd funding is a fucking scam and you're cheering about somebody throwing you fucking bread crumbs on the floor and praising them.

EDIT: As for your second reply " Better to believe in something and fail than settle for the mediocre pile of shit that is the current games industry. " No sorry but that may be even worst: Indie games have a chance of succeeding an industry cash because they're limited in scope. Not only does this help keep things (costs and dev time) reasonable but both developers and gamers learn to appreciate innovation over silly crap like polygon count or post-processing effects because you need constrains to foster creativity.

If AAA development is unsustainable for EA then this is 10x more likely to be unsustainable for independent development. Indie devs need to learn the opposite lesson here: You DON'T get to do whatever you want and you need to learn to work with what you've got and what's actually fucking feasible to produce.

Just because we have the horsepower doesn't means we're prepared to create equally high quality assets that's just not realistic.

-------

Current Rig

-------

28 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You know what else FO3, NV, FO4, Skyrim and Oblivion had in common? Accountability i.e. actually having to deliver a product by X date otherwise the board of directors will get your ass out on the street.

Who's Roberts accountable to? Bunch of naive people who already donated to the project? The specially hopeful he's able to double and triple dip on if he needs more donations? Big deal legally he can just disappear into the caiman islands with all the fucking money without releasing any more shit and nobody would be able to do anything about it.

Crowd funding is a fucking scam and you're cheering about somebody throwing you fucking bread crumbs on the floor and praising them.

EDIT: As for your second reply " Better to believe in something and fail than settle for the mediocre pile of shit that is the current games industry. " No sorry but that may be even worst: Indie games have a chance of succeeding an industry cash because they're limited in scope. Not only does this help keep things (costs and dev time) reasonable but both developers and gamers learn to appreciate innovation over silly crap like polygon count or post-processing effects because you need constrains to foster creativity.

If AAA development is unsustainable for EA then this is 10x more likely to be unsustainable for independent development. Indie devs need to learn the opposite lesson here: You DON'T get to do whatever you want and you need to learn to work with what you've got and what's actually fucking feasible to produce.

Just because we have the horsepower doesn't means we're prepared to create equally high quality assets that's just not realistic.

A scam? Really?

So apparently a game that I've bought and paid for, that continues getting better without me having to keep paying into it, is a scam.

But a "game" like Battlefront 2, GTA V, Destiny 2, etc. That come with a set price but then demand more money, in fact a constant stream of more money, are not scams?

The simple fact is you're wrong. They are delivering on this product. They have continued to make updates again and again and again. If this was a scam, why would they do that for 5 years straight? Why not just "disappear into the Caiman Islands" right now with all the money he's gotten?

I'm just saying, your argument doesn't hold water. They've made some promises and had to push them back, they've made others and delivered on them. They promised 3.0 by the end of the year and look, here it is, as promised.

Is it perfect? No. I'm getting about 30fps at 4k. Which is fine for a friggin alpha.

53 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Let us not forget that Roberts was a lead developer for Freelancer and its prequel... he KNOWS how to build space games. he KNOWS how this should be done. He has been watching and sueing the freelancer modding community for YEARS, specifically because they made mods that are now MAGICALLY a core part of SC...

Wake up sheeple, its a fucking scam. You got scammed. Roberts is but the nigerian prince of game development

15 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Because this is actually a crap load of new content and stuff to do.

Also, IIRC this is the start of the actual persistence of the universe. If your ship gets blown up, you have to pay to get a new one (with in game currency I think). Unless you have insurance on it or something.

So Elite Dangerous?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Better to believe in something and fail than settle for the mediocre pile of shit that is the current games industry.

It's not like SC is any better.  On Thursday I decided to check out the hype, got bored after 30 minutes and quit within the hour.  Currently awaiting a refund. 

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

A scam? Really?

So apparently a game that I've bought and paid for

Yo Trik'Stari,

I'm really happy for you I'm gonna let you finish, but you actually haven't bought shit if you have not received a finished product. You bought the promise to a game and one with no legal recourse if that promise is never actually fulfilled or only fulfilled partially. This is one of the best scams of all time! One of the best scams of all time!

*shrugs and walks away*

-------

Current Rig

-------

40 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

So Elite Dangerous?

You mean the game you can actually install and play as a finished product? No no, it is much better to trust this alpha crap and hold on to it for another 8 fucking years on top of what we've been waiting so far.

-------

Current Rig

-------

21 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yo Trik'Stari,

I'm really happy for you I'm gonna let you finish, but you actually haven't bought shit if you have not received a finished product. You bought the promise to a game and one with no legal recourse if that promise is never actually fulfilled or only fulfilled partially. This is one of the best scams of all time! One of the best scams of all time!

*shrugs and walks away*

So basically any big name triple A game then.

You know, the ones that come out all buggy and having a never ending stream of "DLC" that usually equates to nothing more than "just cosmetic" micro-transactions. Or ones where you don't get to finish the story if you don't buy the DLC.

Or even, games with absolutely no story to them at all because they didn't have a campaign at all. Because that qualifies as a "finished product".

Wasn't this patch suppose to be out around this time last year? 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

42 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

This is one of the best scams of all time! One of the best scams of all time

lol, calling this one of the best scams off all time.... this is in no way a scam. If it was a scam it would be the worst scam of all time. Seriously, asking money from ppl to build a game as a scam and then actually using that money to hire people, buildings, equipment, etc, etc to actually build that game is the absolute worst scam of all time. I don't even understand how anyone can even think of it as a scam at all let alone the best scam....

the only reason people think its a scam is because "it's taking so long". When it was announced there was NOTHING. When other games are announced there is an almost finished product that needs bug fixes and finishing touches here and there and even then they take 2 years to finish....

The groundwork for this game is now pretty much finished, they can now build upon it and increase the size and scope rapidly. Squadron 42 will also be coming (hopefully next year).

PLEASE stop screaming version (insert number here). will never be released.... you haters have done that since the beginning,

"you'll never fly in ur ship, all you'll ever be able to do is walk around it",

"you'll never fly it in a universe and do missions, its a scam",

"FPS will never be a thing, ITS A SCAM!!!",

"v3.0 will never be released! ITS A FUCKING SCAM!!!!",

"THEY WILL NEVER SHOW ANYTHING OF SQ42 CUZ ITS A FUCKING SCAMMMM!!!!!!"

how many updates are they going to have to release before you stop saying its a scam... calling this a scam is seriously becoming laughable... so please stop.

I have no signature

6 hours ago, Prysin said:

You keep calling it a Ponzi Scheme. Do you know how those work?

A Ponzi scheme (/ˈpɒn.zi/; also a Ponzi game)[1] is a fraudulent investment operation where the operator generates returns for older investors through revenue paid by new investors, rather than from legitimate business activities or profit of financial trading.

The whole premise of a ponzi scheme is that if I "back" the game, I then convince my friend Jimmy to also back the game.

When Jimmy backs the game, I get a cut of his investment, and I make money.

That's not happening here. None of the "investors" are making any money at all. Literally zero. Which therefore immediately disqualifies this from being a ponzi scheme.

You could still argue it's a scam, sure, but it's not a ponzi scheme.

But considering that I can go there any day and check the dev progress, see the bugs, fixes, additions, changes they've made on a weekly basis, it's quite clear that steady progress is being made.

In addition to that, they haven't added any new "features" to the goals for quite some time now, so the dreaded feature creep has slowed down. That was a major issue at first, because they were making so much money that they had to keep creating new stretch goals. Fortunately, that's stopped.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's not a scam. Especially not a Ponzi scheme.

Failing to deliver something while trying to deliver is not a scam at all.

Make people believe it's not going to fail while knowing it will from the start and taking extra money personally on the side is.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

The hype is kinda gone though...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

While I'm not a backer I've been following SC from very start and really look forward to it released one day. I'm not impatient and it's great to see ambition for such project and effort for details on such scale. Glad to see them pushing certain boundaries to make an amazing game. 

The last 1h demo looks really nice and good to see such vids. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |