Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

I've been folding on and off, but I use my computer for so much video rendering and gaming that I've kept my GPU off and used half of my CPU. Now if I could only make FaH only use as much video graphics as my computer isn't using, that'd be fantastic.

You, me and a lot of folders. :) Hopefully this will be something we see added in the next version, as a LOT of people are asking to be able to manage and control GPU folding better.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Thanks @Whaler_99 for the cool folding@home badge 

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

Decided why not, let's try this!

My 3570k @4GHz is only getting abit over 7k ppd, is that normal? And my 7770 is getting 6k (Ik, it's a 7770 :()

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

My 3570k @4GHz is only getting abit over 7k ppd, is that normal? And my 7770 is getting 6k (Ik, it's a 7770 :()

Your 3570k seems a little low but wait out and see if it balances it out. Also are you using the beta/advance flags for your 7770. You'll get core17 WU which might give you some more points.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Your 3570k seems a little low but wait out and see if it balances it out. Also are you using the beta/advance flags for your 7770. You'll get core17 WU which might give you some more points.

I'm not, but I will be ;)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I'm not, but I will be ;)

Yeah just wait till you see the Core17 WU and then you should see some boost in points.

Also Welcome to the team!

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Yeah just wait till you see the Core17 WU and then you should see some boost in points.

Also Welcome to the team!

This is what I mean, I'm getting 5K from my 3570K.lowcpuppd.png

15" MBP TB

This is what I mean, I'm getting 5K from my 3570K.

Everything looks fine. Your 3570k could just be getting a slow WU. Just keep on folding and find out your average points after folding more WU.

Welcome to the gang!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Welcome to the gang!

Thanks whaler!

15" MBP TB

Joined the team :D

Specs are in my signature.

Currently the control panel says CPU is RUNNING.

Is there a way to fold on GPU only?

Does it take up bandwidth much?

To fold only on GPU you have to go to configure -> slot -> remove.

Also GPU only folds when your computer is idle or when you have the slider all the way to Full.

Welcome to the team!

Welcome to the team!

Couple of options - as said, you can just delete the CPU slot to not use it ever.

Or, in advanced view, right click on the CPU slot and choose the option Pause. Then when you do want to fold on it, right click and unpause it. :)

Also, if you get the passkey for some bonus points, it won't take effect until you complete at least 10 WU's on the CPU slot.

got one pc running folding now while others do boinc stuff

Welcome to the club. Or clubs as the case may be. :)

Just joined... I'm getting like 8-10k ppd...? with my specs I thought it'd be higher, any tips on increasing my ppd?

Just joined... I'm getting like 8-10k ppd...? with my specs I thought it'd be higher, any tips on increasing my ppd?

What are your specs? Also let it fold for a while, if you just started, then PPD will increase, but post your specs

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

What are your specs? Also let it fold for a while, if you just started, then PPD will increase, but post your specs

AMD FX 8150

GTX 660

16 gigs of ram

Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard

Samsung 840 Series SSD 250gig

umm 1000w rosewill psu 

1tb wd black

idk what else is relevant?

sorry for posting twice, kinda new to this forum stuff lol, any way to delete my previous comment?

AMD FX 8150

GTX 660

16 gigs of ram

Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard

Samsung 840 Series SSD 250gig

umm 1000w rosewill psu 

1tb wd black

idk what else is relevant?

sorry for posting twice, kinda new to this forum stuff lol, any way to delete my previous comment?

Ill report it and a mod will delete it, As for the PPD, you can add this flag : client-type  advanced to your GPU, making your gpu available to get some other WU that without that flag you wouldnt get, and if you get one of those WU, you ll get more PPD but dont delete your current WU in order to get that one

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Ill report it and a mod will delete it, As for the PPD, you can add this flag : client-type  advanced to your GPU, making your gpu available to get some other WU that without that flag you wouldnt get, and if you get one of those WU, you ll get more PPD but dont delete your current WU in order to get that one

right now in my "folding slots" it says my gpu is "Paused:waiting for idle"?? idle from what? i've tried starting it, and nothing happens...

right now in my "folding slots" it says my gpu is "Paused:waiting for idle"?? idle from what? i've tried starting it, and nothing happens...

yes set the slider that should be set to medium, move that to full and your GPU will start folding as well as your CPU

the Pause waiting for idle is, the gpu will start folding when its idling and its on the screensaver, but if you move it to full it ll fold all the time

yes set the slider that should be set to medium, move that to full and your GPU will start folding as well as your CPU

the Pause waiting for idle is, the gpu will start folding when its idling and its on the screensaver, but if you move it to full it ll fold all the time

alright thanks, what is preffered max temp for the gpu? i panic'd and turned it down when it reached 70... my cpu is going full and maxed at 49 degrees.... 

alright thanks, what is preffered max temp for the gpu? i panic'd and turned it down when it reached 70... my cpu is going full and maxed at 49 degrees.... 

my cpu is at 65C ( 4770k at 4.2GHz ) and my gpu ( GTX 680 ) is normally running at 74C, dont worry 70 C is fine, i'd be worried if you were reaching 85C+. Im comfortable for it being up to 78C 

my cpu is at 65C ( 4770k at 4.2GHz ) and my gpu ( GTX 680 ) is normally running at 74C, dont worry 70 C is fine, i'd be worried if you were reaching 85C+. Im comfortable for it being up to 78C 

Alright, thanks, I'm running at base clock on both due to the fact that i'm not water cooled (yet), but it says my gpu is running now and my ppd is fluctuating but its going up, so i'm assuming that's a good sign.

Alright, thanks, I'm running at base clock on both due to the fact that i'm not water cooled (yet), but it says my gpu is running now and my ppd is fluctuating but its going up, so i'm assuming that's a good sign.

Nice! Welcome to the folding awesomeness and to the forums as i see you are new! :D