Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

I have an old computer (like, Dell Dimension 9150 old or something like that) with a Core 2 Duo and a 2600XT (that was added in after), would it be worth getting that folding? It's currently unused and is useless to me.

I also have my old computer which I now run as a sort of server quite a lot of the time. I'm currently having issues with either the motherboard or RAM, but once it's working, it won't always be used. This is an i7 950 OCed to 3.84GHz and a 6970.

I'm just thinking about what to do with old computers, so I was wondering if you guys thought it'd be worth setting them up for folding? Also, I'd like to assist LTT forum to get to the top (though I doubt these machines will do too much) and there's no point in having two useless computers lying around if I could be helping to cure the world of cancer!

Also, electricity... I don't pay it, and we're not hard done by, but will it add a significant cost to the bill here in the UK?

If they are just sitting around, then yes, folding on them will help add to your score and the teams. More systems always help. :)

As to power bill, it is always hard to saw. Depends on system draw and how efficient your PSU is. Almost impossible to say that x system will draw Y power. It will add a bit. How much? Not sure. Fold for a bit and see what the bill goes to. If it is to high, then shut something down. :)

Typically older system draw more as they were a lot less efficient. Also, an OC will draw a bunch more power and generate more heat. I typically recommend nothing more then a mild OC on the CPU if folding full time. The extra heat and power draw on an OC typically isn't worth the few PPD you might get.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

entered the team! welcome mates :)

i am folding with 2 GTX 660 ti's in sli and one I7 2600K OC @ 4.5! going to let it one full week running it.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

If they are just sitting around, then yes, folding on them will help add to your score and the teams. More systems always help. :)

As to power bill, it is always hard to saw. Depends on system draw and how efficient your PSU is. Almost impossible to say that x system will draw Y power. It will add a bit. How much? Not sure. Fold for a bit and see what the bill goes to. If it is to high, then shut something down. :)

Typically older system draw more as they were a lot less efficient. Also, an OC will draw a bunch more power and generate more heat. I typically recommend nothing more then a mild OC on the CPU if folding full time. The extra heat and power draw on an OC typically isn't worth the few PPD you might get.

Well I think I'll go ahead and do some research sometime soon and see about starting to fold!

Just joined the team! Feels good! :D

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Just joined the team! Feels good! :D

Welcome to the gang!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Joining now, with my work PC (shhh!).

Lol. Just be careful with that. That are reports where people have been fired for misuse of system for Folding... Usually, and recommended by FAH, you should get express permission to run FAH on any system not owned by you.

Just an FYI :)

And... welcome to the team!

Getting my dads old computer for folding :) Just a tip; ask your family if they have an old computer laying around for charity. It will give them a good reason to buy a new and better comp. :P And I have a reason to upgrade my GPU <3

I need a USB-refrigerator for my beer

I joined a few days ago, I could easily get third on forth in ppd if I went full bore. Unfortunately my machine was  built for mining and not folding. I will be happy to leave my few processors folding though. When FPGA script mining becomes possible I'll set at least a few cards on folding.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

who wants a guide how to install in the terminal?

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Just join folding but not sure how to join the linustechtip team

Timothy Harnamji

Just join folding but not sure how to join the linustechtip team

Like this:

12593418.jpg

1. Go to advanced control 2. Configure 3. Identity 4. Write your alias and to join LTT team write 223518 to place I highlighted above.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I joined a few days ago, I could easily get third on forth in ppd if I went full bore. Unfortunately my machine was  built for mining and not folding. I will be happy to leave my few processors folding though. When FPGA script mining becomes possible I'll set at least a few cards on folding.

Welcome to the gang. Looking forward to seeing the numbers.

who wants a guide how to install in the terminal?

If this is for Ubuntu - I would appreciate it. Can also add a link to it in my 4P build log.

Also, please update your sig. :) As per the CoC, changing font size from the default is not allowed.  Thanks!

Starting to cool down around here and got AC working a bit better. Think its about time to throw my spare card back in with my titan and power out some WUs. Gotta get dat sexy folding badge

How do I join the team? I don't see myself in roster.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Like this:

12593418.jpg

1. Go to advanced control 2. Configure 3. Identity 4. Write your alias and to join LTT team write 223518 to place I highlighted above.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

looks like F@H is down!

looks like F@H is down!

Yes, scheduled maintenance today - moving servers, so things are up and down. Clients will sort themselves out as things come back online.

You need to complete a WU or two and then allow 24hrs for the stats sites to update.

Starting to cool down around here and got AC working a bit better. Think its about time to throw my spare card back in with my titan and power out some WUs. Gotta get dat sexy folding badge

Can't wait for the Fall to come :)

You need to complete a WU or two and then allow 24hrs for the stats sites to update.

How much foil is a badge? 

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

How much foil is a badge? 

What?  Check the FAQ for Badge requirements.