Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

GPU will put out considerably more points.

Started folding on my home rig earlier and I went from 7k to 63k a day when my GPU kicked in :P

I just started folding on a old laptop and i joined the team

Welcome to the team!!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

F@H is a bitch today they have allot of connection issues there.

Ya, I think some networking messed from the move...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Just Started Folding on my 3570k and gtx660

just joined the team 

Working after setting it to "Idle" and turning on the screensaver, cheers Whaler :)

I just joined :)

Welcome to "The Fold" gang!

Question. I have 2 extra 660s sitting around i'd like to put to work, but i can't exactly fit them into my current system.

What would you recommend for a cheap mobo/cpu/psu so i can fire them up for folding. It's going to be stowed on a top shelf running 24/7 if i can get it running, so i don't need anything fancy. cheaper the better.

Just get the cheapest Core i3 you can find and a mobo with two PCIe slots and voila... Just fold on the GPU's...

whats doing the most work while folding? my gtx 570 or i5-760?

GPU's tend to put out a lot more PPD then CPU - course they also draw more power, create more heat... :)

Hey guys, i could use some help, I am having troubles understanding this. I am not sure how to join the ltt folding at home team, it asks for a team number and i dont know what the ltt number is.

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

Hey guys, i could use some help, I am having troubles understanding this. I am not sure how to join the ltt folding at home team, it asks for a team number and i dont know what the ltt number is.

The LTT Folding@home team number is 223518

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Ok, so i joined the LTT F@H team :)

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

Ok, so i joined the LTT F@H team :)

Welcome i'm on day 3 of folding@home :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Welcome i'm on day 3 of folding@home :)

Thanks! When i look at http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=223518 , it does not show my name, does it take a while to update or something? And is there a way i can fold with 2 different pc's with the same identity?

-it24-

Thanks! When i look at http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=223518 , it does not show my name, does it take a while to update or something? And is there a way i can fold with 2 different pc's with the same identity?

Yes there is a way to fold on two pcs just use the same username and keypass.

Yes when you Finish a work unit it will update.

Ps use this for stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&a=1&t=223518

Yes there is a way to fold on two pcs just use the same username and keypass.

Yes when you Finish a work unit it will update.

Ps use this for stats http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&a=1&t=223518

Ok, thanks for the help. :)

-it24-

And after the first WU is completed, it can take about 24 hours to update!

Whaler what do i enter for the team#?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Whaler what do i enter for the team#?

223518, read the OP, please...

Just get the cheapest Core i3 you can find and a mobo with two PCIe slots and voila... Just fold on the GPU's...

An 1155 Pentium Gxxx will also work fine. They're essentially just an i3 without hyperthreading.

Or, even a cheap AMD combo as well... heck, see if you can find a very cheap rig on ebay/craigslist/kijiji or something...

So I just downloaded everything and I have it running at medium just on my 680 but it just says waiting for idle then when I turn it to full it runs. I dont wan't to run my gpu this heavily is there any way around this?

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

did you just played a game after putting F@H on? if so it is waiting to idle the GPU then to load the WU in it to procces it, to medium load on the gpu. just wait a 3 to 10 minuts :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

did you just played a game after putting F@H on? if so it is waiting to idle the GPU then to load the WU in it to procces it, to medium load on the gpu. just wait a 3 to 10 minuts :)

I didnt just play a game though... It works imediately when I put it at full and I have yet to see it work at medium. I dont want to use my cpu because I need that for other processes.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

I didnt just play a game though... It works imediately when I put it at full and I have yet to see it work at medium. I dont want to use my cpu because I need that for other processes.

F@h only uses unused CPU cycles.

F@h only uses unused CPU cycles.

I just don't want it running my computer full load all the time. Would rather it just use my gpu at like 3/4 load.

Nevermind fixed it. Just gave it limits for using my cpu.

Nevermind fixed it. Just gave it limits for using my cpu.

For CPU folding, set it to medium or idle if you needed better response. For the GPU though there isn't much of any option. GPU either folds at all or nothing. If you have it at medium or idle, just set a screensaver timeout, to like 5 minutes. Then, when your system goes "idle" the GPU will kick in. When you come back to your system, the GPU Folding will pause again.