Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Will check with my boss when he gets back from his holiday ;)

Any reason why my PC hasn't been folding when it's locked?

Hey everyone just joined a few days back! Hopefully I can help the team. I'm going to my apartment in a few days and i'll be paying for my own electricity bill so I won't be folding much unless it turns out to not be too expensive. Just wanted to report my ppd for amd users. At first my ppd on my 7870 was absolutely garbage around 6-8000 then once i started using the core 17 i was getting around 85000 which is awesome :) so if you have an amd gpu definitely use the core 17.

just set up the cpu from my bitcoin miner and the cpu on my main system for folding

FX4300(full time) and 1055t(part time)

i was trying to get my 7970 in the mix under linux, but it didn't want to start.

I think I'll have a hard enough time keeping my room cool now, so I'll probably just leave the 7970 out of folding for now.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Will check with my boss when he gets back from his holiday ;)

Any reason why my PC hasn't been folding when it's locked?

"locking" doesn't enable Idle mode sometimes. So, if set on medium or light, the system may not be kicking into Full when it detects Idle. I was told the only sure way to ensure this, enable a screensaver with a timeout - that is the trigger for Idle.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hey everyone just joined a few days back! Hopefully I can help the team. I'm going to my apartment in a few days and i'll be paying for my own electricity bill so I won't be folding much unless it turns out to not be too expensive. Just wanted to report my ppd for amd users. At first my ppd on my 7870 was absolutely garbage around 6-8000 then once i started using the core 17 i was getting around 85000 which is awesome :) so if you have an amd gpu definitely use the core 17.

Welcome to the gang!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

just set up the cpu from my bitcoin miner and the cpu on my main system for folding

FX4300(full time) and 1055t(part time)

i was trying to get my 7970 in the mix under linux, but it didn't want to start.

I think I'll have a hard enough time keeping my room cool now, so I'll probably just leave the 7970 out of folding for now.

Welcome!

Typically only way to fold GPU on Linux is via WINE - the newest Linux FAH client has beta GPU support, but only for NVidia right now.

HMMM... I'm still not on the roster. Here's my contribution page. http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=IvanSnipedYu Did I do something wrong?

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

HMMM... I'm still not on the roster. Here's my contribution page. http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=IvanSnipedYu Did I do something wrong?

found you here http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_future.php?s=&u=645207

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

"locking" doesn't enable Idle mode sometimes. So, if set on medium or light, the system may not be kicking into Full when it detects Idle. I was told the only sure way to ensure this, enable a screensaver with a timeout - that is the trigger for Idle.

It was actually set to "Full", however I've set a blank screensaver just in case. Will let you know how it goes :)

Successfully ported fahclient on android, it has still allot of bugs but hey it is going to work once I get the librarys worken proper on it.

post-4399-13777050219771_thumb.jpg

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

It was actually set to "Full", however I've set a blank screensaver just in case. Will let you know how it goes :)

Check and see your power/sleep settings. Is you computer going to sleep after X minutes?

Also, if you have another PC - install HFM on it and monitor your rig - see what i says. In the FAQ there is info on setting up HFM.

Successfully ported fahclient on android, it has still allot of bugs but hey it is going to work once I get the librarys worken proper on it.

I might refrain from testing that. Here's why. One of the things FAH and Pande work on when developing clients and projects, is the return time. If you download a WU and for whatever reason do not return it in time (because they don't want them sitting out there forever) it can actually be marked as bad on their end. Which, is bad. :)

One of the reasons they changed the bigadv requirement from 8 to 16 cores - to many failed WU's because 8 core couldn't get those projects done in the very aggressive timeline.

So in regards to FAH on Android and a custom port - most phones just don't have enough juice (processing power AND power itself) to properly calculate a WU. (I am speculating here, on my general knowledge). So, if you have "ported" the workstation client to Android, or even Linux, your client will download WU's which normally complete on CPU's... and I doubt the Android can do it. You would probably need very small, specialized projects (like Boinc) for a FAH Android client. 

But, I could be all wrong and it works fine. :)

Also, consider, your phone will be working at 100% utilization. Basically kill the battery and I bet that phone will get HOT. :)

I just started folding on a old laptop and i joined the team

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

F@H is a bitch today they have allot of connection issues there.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Just Started Folding on my 3570k and gtx660

Working after setting it to "Idle" and turning on the screensaver, cheers Whaler :)

I just joined under our team number, just curiosity: Why do some participants get a badge for their profile and others don't?

My rig features i5 4670K paired with GTX660 and 8GB RAM working on heavy load, that should fold pretty good, I have 32343 PPD and still growing.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I just joined under our team number, just curiosity: Why do some participants get a badge for their profile and others don't?

My rig features i5 4670K paired with GTX660 and 8GB RAM working on heavy load, that should fold pretty good, I have 32343 PPD and still growing.

Whaler does monthly checks, If you're an active folder you'll get a badge if you fall off that active list then you can get your badge taken away.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I just joined :)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Whaler does monthly checks, If you're an active folder you'll get a badge if you fall off that active list then you can get your badge taken away.

Thanks, good to know that. If you have a good machine why not help the world...

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Thanks, good to know that. If you have a good machine why not help the world...

ikr i have a old laptop and desktop folding.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Question. I have 2 extra 660s sitting around i'd like to put to work, but i can't exactly fit them into my current system.

What would you recommend for a cheap mobo/cpu/psu so i can fire them up for folding. It's going to be stowed on a top shelf running 24/7 if i can get it running, so i don't need anything fancy. cheaper the better.