Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Just joined, Getting 42235 PPD is that good?

Welcome!

And yes, that's a very nice PPD :p

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Just joined, Getting 42235 PPD is that good?

Welcome to the team and yes, those are good numbers. Don't forget to add the client-type advanced flag as well - check the FAQ for more info...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

whaler, do you recommend using "the client-type advanced" or the "client-type beta" ? 

or can i use them both together ? 

my ppd is like 110K right now "used to be a lot higher with prcg 8600

whaler, do you recommend using "the client-type advanced" or the "client-type beta" ? 

or can i use them both together ? 

i'm doing like 110K ppd now "used to be a lot higher with prcg 8600

You can only use one client type - and Core17 has been moved from Beta to Advanced - so you need to update it from beta to advanced. The various projects with Core17 will yield various PPD amounts as well...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I am planning on folding once I get off summer and back at school. I am just wondering, would it even be worth folding on a GTX 275? I have a 2500 (non k), a GTX 460, GTX 275 and 8600 GTS SSC I could potentially fold on 24/7. I assume the 8600 is totally pointless, but what about the 275? Will it make anywhere near decent numbers? For that matter is the 460 even going to make decent numbers? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Hey guys sorry to be a bother but what's the team #? I put 223518 put I'm not sure if that's right, thanks!

I joined then stopped, guilty like others. But now I'm back! been going for a week after school everyday and knocked down 3 WU <3

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

You can only use one client type - and Core17 has been moved from Beta to Advanced - so you need to update it from beta to advanced. The various projects with Core17 will yield various PPD amounts as well...

Thank you, I changed my settings to advanced and now my ppd is somewhere between 160k-190k 

Hey guys sorry to be a bother but what's the team #? I put 223518 put I'm not sure if that's right, thanks!

Hey, You're actually right

LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Just wait and soon you'll find your username on the stats page 

I am planning on folding once I get off summer and back at school. I am just wondering, would it even be worth folding on a GTX 275? I have a 2500 (non k), a GTX 460, GTX 275 and 8600 GTS SSC I could potentially fold on 24/7. I assume the 8600 is totally pointless, but what about the 275? Will it make anywhere near decent numbers? For that matter is the 460 even going to make decent numbers? 

The 460 is still a great card for folding - should get you some decent points. The 8600 is no longer supports and the 275 may work and would not get you very many points, but if you have a free slot in your system and it isn't doing anything else, why not run it. :)  It won't draw a huge amount of power either...

I joined then stopped, guilty like others. But now I'm back! been going for a week after school everyday and knocked down 3 WU <3

Welcome! :)

I think many stop or take breaks over the summer. Holidays, heat, etc. I know my basement gets bloody warm here in the summer :)

I think many stop or take breaks over the summer. Holidays, heat, etc. I know my basement gets bloody warm here in the summer :)

So when Canada's famous cold winters come back are you going to ramp up the PPD's :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

So when Canada's famous cold winters come back are you going to ramp up the PPD's :P

Nope, I Fold 7/24 on all my systems - Summer or Winter. Just gets a little toasty here in the summer. :)

Thanks! I just hit 20k PPD on my 3570k alone, I'm not sure if that's normal :3

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Thanks! I just hit 20k PPD on my 3570k alone, I'm not sure if that's normal :3

If so, that's awesome. My 3750k tops out around 14k aprox.

Keep it up!

If so, that's awesome. My 3750k tops out around 14k aprox.

Keep it up!

It was just a random peak, caught me off guard :D

joined because it's satndford 

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

joined because it's satndford 

Welcome to the team!

so i just built my parts PC check it out in the build log :)
was originally going to use it in the shed, take it over my friends house as he only has a crappy 3yr old dell thing laptop and can't even run his full HD tv off it @ 1920x1080 lol but i thought scratch that i'll chuck it under my bed and use it as a torrenter / back-up machine and in the mean time it can also do some folding down there :P but i think i got it correct if u could just check my screen shot also got cpu and gpu-z running there so can check out some details of the system long way from fancy and high powered but every little helps :)

post-3816-0-04676600-1375912320.jpg

Intel Core i3 530 Clarkdale @ 4.82 Ghz ! :D 64.5% O.C !

Daily @ 4.2 Ghz ;) 43.8 % O.C

Intel® Core™2 Duo E6320 Stock @ 1.86 Ghz --->> OCed to 2.97 Ghz 60 % O.C !

ok so i set it all up and said ah y not go for broke and set it to full and system just froze . . . . so i manually restarted the system and it has been sat there like this for almost 10 mins now . . . what have i done wrong :S post-3816-0-88698200-1375915011.jpg

post-3816-0-88698200-1375915011.jpg

so i just built my parts PC check it out in the build log :)

was originally going to use it in the shed, take it over my friends house as he only has a crappy 3yr old dell thing laptop and can't even run his full HD tv off it @ 1920x1080 lol but i thought scratch that i'll chuck it under my bed and use it as a torrenter / back-up machine and in the mean time it can also do some folding down there :P but i think i got it correct if u could just check my screen shot also got cpu and gpu-z running there so can check out some details of the system long way from fancy and high powered but every little helps :)

All looks good!

ok so i set it all up and said ah y not go for broke and set it to full and system just froze . . . . so i manually restarted the system and it has been sat there like this for almost 10 mins now . . . what have i done wrong :S post-3816-0-88698200-1375915011.jpg

At Medium the GPU only folds when the system is idle. Otherwise your setup looks ok. As for the freeze, is anything overclocked? Also, make sure you have adequate ventilation.

Check the FAQ for more details...

All looks good!

thanks whaler

At Medium the GPU only folds when the system is idle. Otherwise your setup looks ok. As for the freeze, is anything overclocked? Also, make sure you have adequate ventilation.

Check the FAQ for more details...

yeh both the cpu and the gpu

as for ventilation it is the only electronic thing under my bed towards to head end bar 1 other box with my covers in it towards the foot end and that it

the side vents (as the tower is laid on its side) for air in have about 2.5-3inc clearence to the bottom of my bed and the rear vent is blowing towards the outside edge of the bed into my room so should be more than adequate and even though cpu has a 60% OC it loads about 44-45degC and the gpu has a core OC of 10.4 % and a memory OC of 15% loads about 60-62degC

but all that aside i'v fixed my problem in the advanced setting i'v limited the CPU usage to 75% and put it on Full so the gpu works with out waiting for idle and i still have some spare CPU power for torrents & back-ups :D hourah :D

thanks whaler

yeh both the cpu and the gpu

as for ventilation it is the only electronic thing under my bed towards to head end bar 1 other box with my covers in it towards the foot end and that it

the side vents (as the tower is laid on its side) for air in have about 2.5-3inc clearence to the bottom of my bed and the rear vent is blowing towards the outside edge of the bed into my room so should be more than adequate and even though cpu has a 60% OC it loads about 44-45degC and the gpu has a core OC of 10.4 % and a memory OC of 15% loads about 60-62degC

but all that aside i'v fixed my problem in the advanced setting i'v limited the CPU usage to 75% and put it on Full so the gpu works with out waiting for idle and i still have some spare CPU power for torrents & back-ups :D hourah :D

Just be aware, GPU's are very picky when folding with overclocks. If you see freezing or crashes, or failed WU's, most likely it is the OC overclock...

SO, I just started folding yesterday and left the pc running overnight ... when I woke up this morning, my room was soooo hot!! it was due to the gpu haha.

Joined and folding away!

It's kind of awesome to think that you're making a small contribution passively to such a worthwhile cause :)

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133