What is the cheapest CPU I could get that wouldn't bottleneck an rx580?

t33to

It's fine it only supports DDR3.

Also, is there a handy place to look this kind of stuff up?

Edit:

It's for a gaming machine that will be occasionally used to mine crypto. Gaming target is 1080p, few modern AAA titles, 60fps steady around medium graphic settings. I would like the parts to be "new" and unopened, under a warranty etc. Possibly some occasional streaming.

1 minute ago, t33to said:

It's fine it only supports DDR3.

Also, is there a handy place to look this kind of stuff up?

amd or intel

depends what your cpu usage is. 

bottle necks are usage dependent , not simply existing in the same machine dependent 

1 minute ago, emosun said:

depends what your cpu usage is. 

bottle necks are usage dependent , not simply existing in the same machine dependent 

good point 

what do plan on doing

Core 2 Quad if you play at 4K.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

Gota go to the used market, look for deals on i5 2500k i7 2600 i5 3570k i5 4670 any strong Intel quadcore that you can afford both CPU and motherboard.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Hi all,

It's for a gaming machine that will be occasionally used to mine crypto. Gaming target is 1080p, few modern AAA titles, 60fps steady around medium graphic settings. I would like the parts to be "new" and unopened, under a warranty etc.

22 minutes ago, Hari S said:

amd or intel

Don't care. Could even be FM2.

cheapest then?......

maybe something on a socket 1366 board , like and old xeon or i7. should be able to find a board cpu combo for like 50$.

3 hours ago, t33to said:

Hi all,

It's for a gaming machine that will be occasionally used to mine crypto. Gaming target is 1080p, few modern AAA titles, 60fps steady around medium graphic settings. I would like the parts to be "new" and unopened, under a warranty etc.

Again, the 4590 will be fantastic for it.  A G4560 (2 core 4 thread at lower clocks) is the weakest CPU for that tier of GPU

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, emosun said:

cheapest then?......

maybe something on a socket 1366 board , like and old xeon or i7. should be able to find a board cpu combo for like 50$.

Amazing, that wouldn't bottleneck a 580?

3 hours ago, emosun said:

cheapest then?......

Or just use the 4590 they already have :P

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Again, the 4590 will be fantastic for it.  A G4560 (2 core 4 thread at lower clocks) is the weakest CPU for that tier of GPU

<3 Thank you.

Just now, Damascus said:

Or just use the 4590 they already have :P

I'm possibly building 20+ of these things. It isn't for me.

3 hours ago, t33to said:

Ah, OK then.  1366 boards, while fantastic, are also pretty rare these days.  I would recommend getting a fleet of cheap b250 mobos and G4560's.

1 minute ago, t33to said:

Yeah that's why I didn't bother jumping to the conclusion that it was for a rig that you didn't mention in this thread.

7 minutes ago, t33to said:

Why?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Why?

It's for a computer lab that will most likely struggle to pay for itself in the first year.

Just now, t33to said:

It's for a computer lab that will most likely struggle to pay for itself in the first year.

And the budget for the whole thing is?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What will your workload be in this lab?

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Just now, Streetguru said:

And the budget for the whole thing is?

Depends on some OAC stuff, but $20k roughly for the machines. If they can find a lease that meets their needs they might go that route, I dunno. Kind of regret volunteering to help research this now.

Just now, t33to said:

outside of gaming what kind of software does it need to run, what ^ said

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

What will your workload be in this lab?

Teaching kids to code, old people how to use Facebook and online banking. So like maybe some programming tools, Unity3d, Adobe Premier? It's like a community project thing. When there is no classes running it I presume it will be open for gaming free to play stuff like TF2, maybe League of Legends. It's close for more than 12 hours a day, so i thought, why not throw a GPU in it and maybe it can mine during the off hours, but we're not sure if the power bill will be too high. I dunno, I'm obviously in over my head now haha.

If you're using for games then based on ur sig that i5 4590 won't bottleneck the rx580. Crypto mining wouldn't be an issue either. Some will run multigpus with a g4560 or lower.