UK police catch criminals on CCTV stealing a keyless Mercedes in under a minute

Master Disaster

So the car got stolen by literally coping and pasting the signal from the key fob?

That has to be the worst system ever, where its defeated by freaking copy/paste.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

8 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

Not exactly as turning a car engine off will stop the drive going to the wheels all other functions would still work. The company would have to have power steering and assisted brakes to still get power while cutting off the engine. So the car can come to a stop gradually. It would only be dangerous if the driver was doing something stupid. Secondly the Fob is for quickness Having it in one of those cage bags while sleeping isn't much to worry about. Or when your in work.

Not sure what highways you usually drive on but the ones I drive on are not exactly built for parking cars on. Even if you don't lose control and crash by shutting down the engine, it's a bad situation to be in. 

I am pretty sure having the keyless unlock and start are for convenient, not quickness. Anyhow, having to constantly put in and take the key out from a pouch would go against both of those. Just having a button for unlocking the doors seems like a much better solution.

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

2) Which begs the question, why did we move away from a physical switch to transmit the signal in the first place?

No idea. It seems flashy and futuristic? Not needing to take the keys out of your purse or pocket is convenient?

why not use an ultra-low range radio signal like RFID or NFC?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No idea. It seems flashy and futuristic? Not needing to take the keys out of your purse or pocket is convenient?

They might as well make it biometric if they want it to be futuristic.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure what highways you usually drive on but the ones I drive on are not exactly built for parking cars on.

Dunno about your highways or carriageways but over here they have a hard should for emergency situations. Other than that they are left open.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Those guys are professionals. Fully covered, not looking into cameras like retards, obviously done their research.

Must be part of a bigger operation. Maybe a larger crime ring :o

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

why not use an ultra-low range radio signal like RFID or NFC?

Would beat the purpose of not having to take it out. RFID's wouldn't be a bad replacement but less secure, NFC wouldn't work as you literally need to be touching the receiver for it to register. Or well from how NFC work with my phone 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Someone has to fuck and make a mistake so that we can reap the benefits :D

3 hours ago, Alex Colson said:

Would beat the purpose of not having to take it out.

rfid chip in the palm of your hand then

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Lol cars and tech what a good joke

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

This is why most luxury cars should have a detachable steering wheel. Tokyo Drift taught us this.

/s

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

9 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Wouldn't the obvious solution be to make the car require a constant connection to the fob to continue running the engine?

I don't know, this is where tech gets too complicated and becomes dangerous, what if the fob breaks or stops working on the highway and the engine cuts? What if it already does and that black box is emulating the fob inside the car? (like the newer prados and rangers).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Goes to show how out of date rf security is when it comes to keyless entry. I have yet to see a car that isn't compromised by a relay attack. Hell, even some modern cars can be unlocked by a simple replay attack. No rolling code on a modern vehicle is pure negligence on the makers part, especially with how easily and cheaply software defined radio are now. They probably just bought a few hackrf's or even a yardstick one to pull this off. Key fobs are way more insecure than they should be.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Wouldn't the obvious solution be to make the car require a constant connection to the fob to continue running the engine?

That way they'd have to go full Gone In 60 Seconds and instead of just relaying the signal to gain entry and start they'd have to capture the signal and constantly mimic it back to the car.

Then some sort of signal encryption would mean they might be able to get the car moving but once they get out of range on the real key the car would simply stop running.

I am pretty sure they have that function. Hell, my honda accord has this. if the keyfob is not in a certain range of the car, engine stops. However, I think what those two ppl has done is to record the signal of the keyfob and the box will continue send this signal while the car is driving.

So it comes down to how to make the keyfob so special that one can't copy the signal easily and mimic it. maybe a two fold id system such as a iris scanner paired with the keyfob to start the car. and the iris info is only stored inside the car with no way of access or modify it unless you have a physical key.

12 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

UK Police are advising owners with cars that have keyless systems to buy a steering lock to prevent this from happening to them.

yes, that's the solution lol /s

Obviously there need to be some other changes.  Store the key in a shielded pocket so the signal can't be picked up, make it key not broadcast constantly (triggered by the heat of your hand, or by motion, and automatically turns off after 10 seconds unless it detects the car is currently "running from it"), or just reduce the range so this kind of thing doesn't work without the key being within a few ft of the door.  There's probably other ideas I haven't even thought of, but really, lets address the problem, not the symptom.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just put a password on it. Two-step auth would not hurt for turning on your car. Fingerprint would be hella cool! But I might just be dreaming...

22 minutes ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

Just put a password on it. Two-step auth would not hurt for turning on your car. Fingerprint would be hella cool! But I might just be dreaming...

I think typing in a password to start your car is not going to catch on any time soon.  Even if it's much more secure, pushing something that's more of a pain than the current system is always an uphill battle.  I mean, that's why biometrics exist in the first place... they're less secure but it's easier so people go for it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

That will never take. I can see the possibility of an RSA/PKI key and pin number but not a password protected car. I would most definitely not be in favor of fingerprints.

57 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think typing in a password to start your car is not going to catch on any time soon.  Even if it's much more secure, pushing something that's more of a pain than the current system is always an uphill battle.  I mean, that's why biometrics exist in the first place... they're less secure but it's easier so people go for it.

exactly

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

19 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I've said it time and again but the UK government really has a hard on for Security Cameras :P.

There are tons of them around the UK especially in large cities.

For uni we asked our local office "how many times in the last ten years has CCTV evidence been used to gain a conviction?" Answer. Never

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

14 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

rfid chip in the palm of your hand then

Then you might as well go Biometric

I'm glad I park my car in a garage, and work in a very visible small office building, but damn. I'd say "Good thing I got a manual trans" but I dont feel like that would stop a more sophisticated thief like this...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm glad I park my car in a garage, and work in a very visible small office building, but damn. I'd say "Good thing I got a manual trans" but I dont feel like that would stop a more sophisticated thief like this...

There's probably another box they can slip over the shifter and pedals to let someone who knows how to drive stick control it remotely for them xD

As soon as I found out my mom's car could be unlocked wirelessly I instantly considered the security vulnerabilities that allows for. 

Just buy a Datsun.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.