Honestly why is Star Citizen getting all the buzz?

i recently saw this Tech Demo for Snowdrop Next-Gen Engine | Tom Clancy's The Division 
then i saw some video about star citizen Hanger module , honestly , i don't get why people think it's a graphically superior game , it just looks like any other game , am i missing something about why people are excited about star citizen ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2NJSAvuiQ0

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

graphically the game is still in early stages so it may improve however i think one of the main parts of the hype is the sheer size of the game. It does sounds pretty awesome, hopefully it works out

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Star Citizen Hangar Module is in Pre-Alpha

Does that not mean anything to you at all?

For a comparison a game in late pre-alpha looks like this [bF4 @ E3]

I dont even know what u do or what it is lol i think its like starwars maybe or something

while graphics is a part of it it's also because of the game itself now just the shiny graphics you know, also the fact that the creator is a hardcore pc guy and said that he wanted to give us a game specificly tailored to pc and pc only, a full blooded pc game which is becoming rarer for bigger titles, and just how massive it is.

I don't really get all the hype either.....

Suppose you need to like those kind of games...

I think the biggest thing with it is that its pushing PC hardware past its limits after as long of like not even having to upgrade your CPU for years etc

But yeh, I'm not interested in the slightest.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

It has such massive hype, because it's awesome! That's why it has all the hype. What we want to be the best Space Sim ever really seems to have promise with them, so of course it will get all the hype.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

It has such massive hype, because it's awesome! That's why it has all the hype. What we want to be the best Space Sim ever really seems to have promise with them, so of course it will get all the hype.

and playing that with a high res full release version of the oculus rift. mmmmmmmmm.....

I think that it is mainly the huge sixe of the game since it is like a huge universe with the players and it isnt coming out on console so no bad ports  :)

I myself cannot wait for the game to  be complete! :P  Only two years left... :blink:

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

Star Citizen Hangar Module is in Pre-Alpha

Does that not mean anything to you at all?

For a comparison a game in late pre-alpha looks like this [bF4 @ E3]

that's a stupid comparision. there is no official definition for what is "Pre-Alpha", or Alpha, or Beta, or whatever. developers work on their own timeline and decide what they consider alpha, beta, etc

but yes, Star Citizen is pre-alpha - it's more promising to show SOMETHING rather than nothing when you build up so much hype. build up hype and not showing anything will eventually just turn the internet against you into the biggest joke/disappointment/wasteofmoney ever (see that one developer who still hasn't finished his game from Kickstarter, I've forgotten his name by now)

personally, I'm tired of the hype too

that's a stupid comparision. there is no official definition for what is "Pre-Alpha", or Alpha, or Beta, or whatever. developers work on their own timeline and decide what they consider alpha, beta, etc

but yes, Star Citizen is pre-alpha - it's more promising to show SOMETHING rather than nothing when you build up so much hype. build up hype and not showing anything will eventually just turn the internet against you into the biggest joke/disappointment/wasteofmoney ever (see that one developer who still hasn't finished his game from Kickstarter, I've forgotten his name by now)

personally, I'm tired of the hype too

Well then that's your own problem, is it not? personally i'm tired of people ranting about the hype as well. I believe there are better things to do than down-play the enthusiasm of any community towards a particular good or product, regardless of the outcome. Hype is an entity generated by hope and i do not see anything wrong with having it.

Well then that's your own problem, is it not? personally i'm tired of people ranting about the hype as well. I believe there are better things to do than down-play the enthusiasm of any community towards a particular good or product, regardless of the outcome. Hype is an entity generated by hope and i do not see anything wrong with having it.

I never said there was anything wrong with the hype either. I'm just in agreement with the OP/topic of the thread. I'm not bought over (yet)

People find Star Citizen more interesting, original and novel than most other AAA games like shooters, racers and RPGs. There are comparatively fewer games in this genre and certainly nothing as ambitious as Star Citizen. Add to that PC gamers like the fact that the devs are independent, not tied to a major publisher. Plus the main man behind it has a good track record which older gamers have not forgotten. I think a lot of people are looking forward to getting into the role of being a space pilot, and truly experiencing a spaceship; owning it, flying it, modifying it and exploring the world with it. Some kind of childhood fantasy like Han Solo and his millenium falcon...

So I don't really think all the Star Citizen hype is due to graphics, that's just one part of it.

Also hangar module for now is just some fan service to reward backers; don't judge the game by it.

This looks impressive though

.MDnIpzi.jpg

I hope this'll answer your question OP

<< Yo buddy, still posting? >>

INTEL I7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V | EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780 ACX 

F-15C EAGLE | ADFX-02 MORGAN

Even I don't get the hype. I personally feel its a pay to win thing with a system thats heavily dependent on microtransactions [insurances] hence don't care about it either. 

Unreal Tournament 3 is nicer looking.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

• 4 weeks later...

Even I don't get the hype. I personally feel its a pay to win thing with a system thats heavily dependent on microtransactions [insurances] hence don't care about it either. 

How is it play to win? You don't HAVE to buy insurance.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I personally am excited for star citizen because i used to play Freelancer a lot back in the days. That was an awesome game. Everbody who played that game wished there was a sequel for it, but Microsoft abandoned the developer studio, so it never came to market.

SC looks like the long waited succesor to Freelancer, so....

who cares...

How is it play to win? You don't HAVE to buy insurance.

Those with insurance will have an advantage over those who don't and will this have an upper hand. Inorder to have that upper hand, one needs to pay, thus making it a pay to win. For early backers, this is more than clearly the case.

'Pay for it early and get these awesome ships which will take you otherwise a few weeks to unlock!'

Isn't that what the devs trying to imply? Those ships + lifetime warranty = upper hand 

Those with insurance will have an advantage over those who don't and will this have an upper hand. Inorder to have that upper hand, one needs to pay, thus making it a pay to win. For early backers, this is more than clearly the case.

'Pay for it early and get these awesome ships which will take you otherwise a few weeks to unlock!'

Isn't that what the devs trying to imply? Those ships + lifetime warranty = upper hand 

It's more of an incentive to help get the game more funding. If everyone got the same ship there'd be no reason to pay the higher pledge amounts. If I recall correctly there will be micro transactions for some, but not all things in the game.

How else would you like them to get as much funding as they have?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I personally am excited for star citizen because i used to play Freelancer a lot back in the days. That was an awesome game. Everbody who played that game wished there was a sequel for it, but Microsoft abandoned the developer studio, so it never came to market.

SC looks like the long waited succesor to Freelancer, so....

Me too I loved Freelancer.

Star Citizen should be awesome, if its not then it will be a massive over-hyped fail.

Will it live up to the hype of gamers though? We will have to wait and see.

It's more of an incentive to help get the game more funding. If everyone got the same ship there'd be no reason to pay the higher pledge amounts. If I recall correctly there will be micro transactions for some, but not all things in the game.

How else would you like them to get as much funding as they have?

Exactly! Just like with microtransactions, you are paying more to get a better ship before the game releases. Even if not all things, aren't ships the be all and end all considering this is a space battle game?

While I am unsure about how could they get that sort of money [more physical perks along with skin perks maybe?], I strongly feel that they should not have compromised the main aspect of the game, the multiplayer, just to make some backers happy. Also, don't you feel the whole insurance thing somewhat implies its a pay to win. Its like-

''Hey! Pay for me so when you die, you don't have to shell out for a new ship!''

Inorder to actually play the game, more so for the newcomers, they have to pay for either insurance or a new ship quite frequently due to it getting destroyed when not insured which makes the game into one which requires a regular dose of your credit card information. While they've mentioned one can gain credits when their ships destroyed by doing missions with NPCs, wouldn't that be really time consuming and repetitive? Won't it be a lot like grinding?  Why just ships though? This is from their website-

Like in real-life insurance should be a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses which will also include paying landing fees, trade tariffs (if in a system with lots of infrastructure and law and order), fuel (if you don’t collect it yourself from a gas giant), buying cargo to trade, hiring help, making upgrades to your ship or even buying a whole new ship.