Honestly why is Star Citizen getting all the buzz?

Something about Cryengine etc. All I know is I bout a $300 pack and gave it away to the LTT community

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Exactly! Just like with microtransactions, you are paying more to get a better ship before the game releases. Even if not all things, aren't ships the be all and end all considering this is a space battle game?

While I am unsure about how could they get that sort of money [more physical perks along with skin perks maybe?], I strongly feel that they should not have compromised the main aspect of the game, the multiplayer, just to make some backers happy. Also, don't you feel the whole insurance thing somewhat implies its a pay to win. Its like-

''Hey! Pay for me so when you die, you don't have to shell out for a new ship!''

Inorder to actually play the game, more so for the newcomers, they have to pay for either insurance or a new ship quite frequently due to it getting destroyed when not insured which makes the game into one which requires a regular dose of your credit card information. While they've mentioned one can gain credits when their ships destroyed by doing missions with NPCs, wouldn't that be really time consuming and repetitive? Won't it be a lot like grinding?  Why just ships though? This is from their website-

Haha, don't get me wrong I can see where you're coming from, I just don't think it'll be THAT bad. For example, I don't think they're going to make you buy insurance with real money every time. This is all largely speculation of course since the game isn't even out yet, but I imagine they'll take a page from the Eve Online book, where you can purchase it with money made in game. Just like how in Eve you can use money made while playing in game to basically pay your monthly subscription fee. Considering the scope they plan to go for with this game, especially the bi weekly updates and system expansion (which I have a hard time believing will happen, to be honest) I think micro transactions for this title are more than warranted. It's not like you're getting one game and that's it. The world will constantly be expanding.

Now, if they decide to charge for each new sector, and all the new features as DLC packs, then yeah. That's kind of lame.

I'm not sure if you've ever played Freelancer, or the Freelancer community mod, but there are hundreds of ships. Releasing the amount they have now, really won't have an impact on the game. Not to mention the different weapon loadouts. Maybe those little ships will turn out to be better than the larger, slower ones. I would imagine they'll have "safe sectors" like in Eve, where new players get a feel for the game. Honestly I see them taking a lot of the ideas from that game and incorporating them somehow.

Dying is apart of playing a game. If you don't have the expectation of dying, you shouldn't be playing. Otherwise what's the point? Why play a game where you don't worry about anything and just go around haphazardly shooting everything you see? That gets pretty boring to me.

The quote you made at the end I'm betting is all in game funds. They're not going to charge you real money to land at a space port in a game. He wants people to PLAY the game, he's not in it to nickel and dime everyone to death.

Again, it's all speculation. There's no way for us to know, the game is still over a year from release. I just love how he basically said if you don't have the best graphics card, you can't run it at max settings, and I don't really care.

I've had too much chocolate and have too much sugar running through me so I apologize for the length.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Those with insurance will have an advantage over those who don't and will this have an upper hand. Inorder to have that upper hand, one needs to pay, thus making it a pay to win. For early backers, this is more than clearly the case.

'Pay for it early and get these awesome ships which will take you otherwise a few weeks to unlock!'

Isn't that what the devs trying to imply? Those ships + lifetime warranty = upper hand 

I'm not sure if you read much into the game. Of course people with insurance are going to have an advantage over those who don't, its kinda how insurance works. Insurance can be bought with in-game credits, and is going to be a very nominal amount of credits, so it is not pay to win.

The hype of the game mainly comes from the fact that it gives you the freedom that a lot of games don't. If you want to earn your fortune as a merchant, you are free to do so. If you want to be a top class military pilot, you are free to do so. If you want to become the world's most feared pirate, you are free to do so. The game doesn't restrict you and tell you what you can and you can't. Another reason SC has a lot of hype is its dynamics, and the fact that the persistant universe could change due to player interactions. You could wipe out an alien race, overthrow the current government, or go set up your own nation and become a power. Its all very much up to you.

The attention to detail on ships is also very impressive.

And whats wrong with some hype?

Because it looks pretty. We know nothing about the game after it's finished because it isn't done yet so anything could happen. For all we know the game could be utter crap. People should learn not to hype games up because when they come out and they are not all that then people get pissed or get over protective about it. Do what I do and don't get hyped up about games otherwise you will get disappointed or you will turn into a d*ck and protect a game to the bitter end.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I'm not sure if you read much into the game. Of course people with insurance are going to have an advantage over those who don't, its kinda how insurance works. Insurance can be bought with in-game credits, and is going to be a very nominal amount of credits, so it is not pay to win.

The hype of the game mainly comes from the fact that it gives you the freedom that a lot of games don't. If you want to earn your fortune as a merchant, you are free to do so. If you want to be a top class military pilot, you are free to do so. If you want to become the world's most feared pirate, you are free to do so. The game doesn't restrict you and tell you what you can and you can't. Another reason SC has a lot of hype is its dynamics, and the fact that the persistant universe could change due to player interactions. You could wipe out an alien race, overthrow the current government, or go set up your own nation and become a power. Its all very much up to you.

The attention to detail on ships is also very impressive.

And whats wrong with some hype?

The pirate thing. That's why I'm hyped for it. I'm going to be doing squadron 42. Learn the ropes and do my service time. After that, I'm striking it out on my own with a few peeps. 

SO, if I see you in-game, just tell me  you are from LTT and I might let you go. >:)

The pirate thing. That's why I'm hyped for it. I'm going to be doing squadron 42. Learn the ropes and do my service time. After that, I'm striking it out on my own with a few peeps. 

SO, if I see you in-game, just tell me  you are from LTT and I might let you go. > :)

And if I catch you, just tell me you're from LTT and I might let you go ;)

Haven't seen much of it but so far I'm really impressed with the animations. It literally has a ~5 second animation when entering/exiting the cockpit of a vehicle, and it looks incredibly fluid throughout. It reminded me of the animations in Crysis 3's campaign, like when he plants the charges on the bridge and jumps off; coincidentally the game is using a very similar engine to it. However, I'd be extremely reluctant to dump hundreds of dollars on a game that (as far as I know) doesn't show much of the "main" content at all (ie. combat).

I am waiting until release, the pay-to-win potential frightens me, but I won't know how bad/not bad it is, until the game is played and we know how long it takes to unlock each ship. 

@dizmo- Those are very good points. I guess we will just have to wait and see then :) I personally really hope that Star Citizen is really good since I really like the genre and there are far too few games which are actually good in terms of graphics and gameplay mechanics which are made for the PC. Who knows, if its good upon release [assuming they include a campaign of sorts, or they make the multiplayer really good, I may pick it up myself :D

Look, OP, you either like it or you don't. Those of us who do don't have to defend it in any way.

That said, to put it in the very simplest of layman's terms, it's Skyrim in space, your horse is replaced by a ship, your bow replaced by a laser rifle, levels and skills are taken away from you, the world is 10 times larger and 100 times more detailed and the AI - from economy to war to construction to exploration of frontiers - is the single most ambitious AI ever designed.

It's a simulator of life, trade, conflict, exploration, combat, mining, construction etc etc etc in space. All presented in the best visuals and very highest production values ever conceived. (No, The Division does not look better, it is simply more complete. Star Citizen hasn't even implemented PBR materials yet, which they intend to take far beyond Ryse's level.)

You either find that appealing or you don't. There is nothing to 'explain'.

How is it play to win? You don't HAVE to buy insurance.

Insurance isn't even a monetized thing. It's paid with in-game currency. In fact, I doubt the cash shop will even be there at launch for anything but cosmetic crap and that hangar buggy.

'Pay for it early and get these awesome ships which will take you otherwise a few weeks to unlock!'

Not at all, ships will be cheap, it's the upgrades that will take weeks to unlock. (Of course HUGE ships will take a while, but they are also extortionately priced)

They give you a ship so you can begin straight away within your own playstyle, and not be 'forced' to start in an Aurora.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

• 1 month later...

Those with insurance will have an advantage over those who don't and will this have an upper hand. Inorder to have that upper hand, one needs to pay, thus making it a pay to win. For early backers, this is more than clearly the case.

Isn't that what the devs trying to imply? Those ships + lifetime warranty = upper hand 

There seems to be a misunderstanding about the insurance policies. you DO NOT have to pay real money at all for insurance. it's all in game money. no pay to win options. yes the people that bought the awesome ships start off better but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be better players. 

I could care less about what it looks like. I'm interested in its concept and what it offers, and the "story". I have waited a really long time for a game like this and I am hoping it turns out as good as it looks and is said to be. Not really hyped about it though. I mean it is my most anticipated PC game definitely, but I'm not hyper about it...

Also, Star Citizen is not a Pay to Win game. That is one of the other reasons why it looks so good to me. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

One big item as to why the hype was previously hinted to by another poster. This game is being created by someone who 1) wants this PC only and will not sacrifice any quality if consoles want it (including that console gamers would have to play on the same "realm") and wants to push the capabilities of computers as much as possible and 2) has previously created two great computer games many years ago and 3) because of his prior creations and credentials, has thousands of people with disposable income ready and willing to throw their money at the game and spread the word.

As for Pay to win, insurance isn't a big deal. All it was meant to do was if you died, you get your base ship (not all those shiny upgrades) back without buying a whole new ship. This insurance will be offered in game, presumably pretty cheap and easily attainable. I don't know what other micro-transactions they are looking at doing, but they are trying to avoid the whole pay to win - though it does sound like it may be "pay to start off quicker" with backer donations.

Another reason this game is hyped up, as previously stated as well, is because it's a world full of immersion and options. If you want to be a merchant, you're welcome to. If you want to try to manipulate world/universal economy, go for it! If you want to be that pirate known to hang around certain sectors and scare others, wonderful. If you want to catch said pirates (or be a bounty hunter) you're welcome to try. If you want to explore new edges of space never seen before - you can!

Exactly! Just like with microtransactions, you are paying more to get a better ship before the game releases. Even if not all things, aren't ships the be all and end all considering this is a space battle game?

While I am unsure about how could they get that sort of money [more physical perks along with skin perks maybe?], I strongly feel that they should not have compromised the main aspect of the game, the multiplayer, just to make some backers happy. Also, don't you feel the whole insurance thing somewhat implies its a pay to win. Its like-

''Hey! Pay for me so when you die, you don't have to shell out for a new ship!''

Inorder to actually play the game, more so for the newcomers, they have to pay for either insurance or a new ship quite frequently due to it getting destroyed when not insured which makes the game into one which requires a regular dose of your credit card information. While they've mentioned one can gain credits when their ships destroyed by doing missions with NPCs, wouldn't that be really time consuming and repetitive? Won't it be a lot like grinding?  Why just ships though? This is from their website-

They said that when the game releases there will be no real money for in-game items anymore. So maybe the backers will have an advantage for the first month or so until everyone else is caught up.

Why is Star Citizen getting all the buzz?

Think EVE with actual flying/shooting combined with the oculus rift.

That's why.