The sad reality of Brazil. Brazilian import taxes...

marksmanguy

Are those prices in USD or in Brazilian Real?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That is USD...  regardless though it's just double.  The shady thing is that they calculate the tax WITH SHIPPING INCLUDED.

Just now, marksmanguy said:

That is USD...  regardless though it's just double.  The shady thing is that they calculate the tax WITH SHIPPING INCLUDED.

What do you mean? That's literally standard practice in pretty much any country in which you pay taxes when buying something.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

What do you mean? That's literally standard practice in pretty much any country in which you pay taxes when buying something.

Normally , Tax is calculated off of the subtotal, the raw cost of the items before tax or shipping.

Subtotal + Tax + Shipping= Total   Tax=0.09(subtotal)   

I used a 9 percent tax as an example

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Paying double (or more) of the price?

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

For example, I bought something online for 50 bucks and the shipping was like 40 dollars. I had to pay 90 dollars in tax so the total was 180, because they double the price you paid, INCLUDING the tax.

Well .. just a thought.

Could someone buy a power supply for you, open it up and send you the components in 2-3 separate packages?  I mean open the power supply case, disconnect the fan and send it in one package with a very small declared value like 1$ , then send you the circuit board separately as "non functional circuit board for spare parts" marked as something like 10$ , then send you the  empty case in another package ?   And also if it's modular power supply , send the cables separately as "accesories,10$ replacement cables for power supply" or something like that.

Do you think the customs officers are smart enough to charge you the equivalent of a new power supply ?

You'd only have to screw back the circuit board in the case and attach the fan.. the downside is you lose the warranty.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Well .. just a thought.

Could someone buy a power supply for you, open it up and send you the components in 2-3 separate packages?  I mean open the power supply case, disconnect the fan and send it in one package with a very small declared value like 1$ , then send you the circuit board separately as "non functional circuit board for spare parts" marked as something like 10$ , then send you the  empty case in another package ? 

Do you think the customs officers are smart enough to charge you the equivalent of a new power supply ?

You'd only have to screw back the circuit board in the case and attach the fan.. the downside is you lose the warranty.

I guess that could work in some cases, and in desparation. But sometimes the stuff in the import center can stay in there for weeks, months, I've even heard years, before getting released. And each package would be an additional risk. But nice idea though haha.

9 minutes ago, marksmanguy said:

Wow that is just ridiculous. Have you looked into other eCommerce websites? For example, if Amazon and Newegg are the same price for me, then I almost always go for newegg. Even though I have amazon prime, Newegg aways works out cheaper for computer parts. They rarely charge me shipping and everything I buy off newegg is tax free.

You have probably already looked around on www.Amazon.com.br ? 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

Just now, DutchTexan said:

Wow that is just ridiculous. Have you looked into other eCommerce websites? For example, if Amazon and Newegg are the same price for me, then I almost always go for newegg. Even though I have amazon prime, Newegg aways works out cheaper for computer parts. They rarely charge me shipping and everything I buy off newegg is tax free.

You have probably already looked around on www.Amazon.com.br ? 

I wish man, there is just no way around it. I am definitely more fortunate than most. I am mostly posting this to grieve for most Brazilians out here. It's just really sad.

10 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

Normally , Tax is calculated off of the subtotal, the raw cost of the items before tax or shipping.

Subtotal + Tax + Shipping= Total   Tax=0.09(subtotal)   

I used a 9 percent tax as an example

Perhaps that's the case in Brazil?

That's not normal here in North America.

"sales tax" is for goods and services. Shipping is a service.

Therefore you pay tax on the subtotal, which is all goods and services before taxes:

Item: $100

Shipping: $10

Subtotal: $110

Taxes: 15% (not my actual tax rate, just an example)

Taxes ($): $16.50

Total: $126.50

Taxing shipping isn't shady.

When you buy a computer in-store, do you pay tax? When you get a haircut, do you also pay tax?

9 minutes ago, marksmanguy said:

Paying double (or more) of the price?

No. I'm talking about how he thinks it's shady to calculate tax on shipping - that's not true at all.

I DO think that 100% import fees is bullshit - but that's a different discussion.

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Therefore you pay tax on the subtotal, which is all goods and services before taxes:

When you buy a computer in-store, do you pay tax? When you get a haircut, do you also pay tax?

No. I'm talking about how he thinks it's shady to calculate tax on shipping - that's not true at all.

I DO think that 100% import fees is bullshit - but that's a different discussion.

That's not necessarily true. And it varies from state to state, and many other factors. Like a 3rd of the states in the US don't pay tax on shipping.

When you have one of the poorest countries in the world like here in Brazil, and the government not only makes you pay DOUBLE the price, but ALSO double on the shipping cost as tax, sorry my friend but that is shady.

Oh my god why

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Rampage VI Apex is like $200 cheaper. Should have saved a few quid with that. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Sweet mother of god 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Yeah, import taxes can be brutal. Is it cheaper if you go on vacation and return? For Canadians you're allowed a certain amount free. Might be worth taking a trip.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Depends how you import it. Usually you shouldn't be charged duty/import fees on shipping.

For example, if I'm coming across the border with items I bought on eBay, I don't include the shipping paid per item in the total value.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Well .. just a thought.

-snip-

That doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Screw something up and all your money is gone :P

I don't think warranty is a huge issue, considering it wouldn't be worth sending something in for warranty anyway.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Nowhere I live has ever charged tax on shipping. I have lived in quite a few different states in the US, where I currently reside. I rarely even pay taxes on online orders, but when I do, shipping is not taxed. Everywhere I have lived, sales tax is strictly for items sold, not for shipping.

And no,I am not charged tax on a haircut. A decent portion of the states do not extend sales tax to services. They are just now discussing passing a law to extend sales tax to services in my state, due to budge shortcomings.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

14 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Holy crap, that's a rip off... And this is still cheaper than buying locally?

Another problem here is also the access. You couldn't find that motherboard or PSU even with a million bucks.

If you manage to find what your looking for though, it may be the same price or maybe a bit cheaper. It depends on a lot of factors too. As a general rule of thumb, everything is just twice the price.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Never payed tax on shipping anywhere in the U.S. Shipping is considered labor, not a service at least at the federal level. Handling is considered a service and is taxable.  As long as they are listed separate (or the invoice doesn't say handling) then it's not taxable.

Now, certain states (not federal level) charge tax on shipping.  Here's a chart, I don't know how accurate or up-to-date this is.

States_where_Shipping_is_Taxable.png

This might be a good bit of background reading on the whole tax situation in Brazil. The country does have its problems:
http://thebrazilbusiness.com/reflection/why-are-the-taxes-in-brazil-so-high

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL