OnePlus accidentally left an application which can allow for root access

Well, here’s another one of those “Oops” moments.

If you’re not familiar, Android (and other Linux-based operating systems) have so-called ‘Superuser’ access, which grants system-level access. Many enthusiasts desire root access as it allows for system-level modifications, although malicious software can also force itself access to it, compromising security and also possibly breaking the device, hence the reason new Android phones have dm-verity enabled. 

OnePlus hasn’t exactly gotten a good eye for security, after it was found that the company was sending personal data back to its servers without prior user consent. Well, here’s another one, and yes, as mentioned earlier, it’s one of those “Oops” moments.

A user on Twitter who goes by the name “Elliot Anderson” (named after the main character of the popular Mr. Robot television series) has discovered that OnePlus accidentally left in place a diagnostic testing application made by Qualcomm. After decompiling this application, he discovered that it can be exploited to grant root access—effectively acting as a backdoor.

The application is called “EngineerMode” and it’s essentially a system application made by Qualcomm and provided to OEMs like OnePlus in order for OEMs to easily test all hardware components of the device. The application is pre-installed on all OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, and OnePlus 5 devices and can be easily accessible through any activity launcher as all of the app’s activities are exported.

We actually covered the existence of this application several months ago, but at the time we had no idea what it could be used for. The Twitter user decompiled the application (its source has been posted online here) and found an interesting activity called DiagEnabled. In particular, one method stood out within the activity: escalatedUp. This method accepts a boolean value (true/false) and a string. The string is a password that is checked by the method before it sets the system properties persist.sys.adbroot and oem.selinux.reload_policy to 1.

The first system property is particularly interesting as it allows the user to run ADB as root. This immediately opens up the possibility of acquiring full root access on the phone—all without unlocking the bootloader. So how exactly do you get the EngineerMode app to set these system properties to be ‘1’?

@fs0c131y needed to find the correct password to send in the intent in order to pass the logic in the method posted above. Finding this password is not a simple task, however. He decompiled the library responsible for generating the password (called libdoor.so) and found where the password hash was located: /data/backup/fpwd. The password is generated from various build properties such as ro.product.model and ro.product.brand and would not be easy to reverse engineer.

Luckily with the help David Weinstein and Now Secure on Twitter, he discovered the password needed by EngineerMode in order to escalate ADB to root privileges.

Source: https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-root-access-backdoor/

This means that with some savvy coding, you can in theory, gain root access to a OnePlus without a bootloader unlock. However, having 2 security blunder twice isn’t exactly confidence inspiring.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Hahaha. Wow. Glad I never actually used the OnePlus phones I bought.

I wonder if they'll face any backlash for any of the missteps they've made. They're even getting rid of the zoom in the 5T (which, lets face it, is basically a copy of the new Oppo). I lost complete interest in them as a company with the information farming.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I wonder if they'll face any backlash for any of the missteps they've made. They're even getting rid of the zoom in the 5T (which, lets face it, is basically a copy of the new Oppo). I lost complete interest in them as a company with the information farming.

Probably not because they’re the internet darling to some people.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

OnePlus is literally part of Oppo.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Just now, BingoFishy said:

Part of BBK, but yeah. Same umbrella.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Wholly owned subsidiary 

No surprise then that the OP5 looks like an Oppo R11.

The 5T looks like the R11s, which in turn, looks like the Vivo V7 from the front 

"by accident"

Lol these guys are grade a assholes, this was no mistake. They don't give a shit about the consumer, they just want your money.

30 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

And then there's XDA. Oneplus makes the bootloader super easy to unlock for a reason. 

That’s the official method.

This method is unofficial and considered an unintentional exploit

I don't really know what to feel as I read this thread on my realatively new One Plus 5...

I've been happy with the performance of my OP5, however all this news coming out about OnePlus doing all this shady shit doesn't really aspire confidence

2 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

"by accident"

Lol these guys are grade a assholes, this was no mistake. They don't give a shit about the consumer, they just want your money.

Tbh look how much work went into getting the password, it took a team so even if malware were made to exploit it its not like it would get much return. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

And then there's XDA. Oneplus makes the bootloader super easy to unlock for a reason. 

My OP2 literally factory reset as I was doing it... 

Anyway I have no trust in Oneplus and will not be buying another one of their devices. They have strayed to far from their goal with too high prices

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

My OP2 literally factory reset as I was doing it... 

Um, that’s what it’s supposed to do.

When you unlock the BL, your data is wiped. Nexus phones do this too.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

not from what i found online, but i didnt even get to unlock it before it wiped, it wasent suposed to wipe when it did

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm glad I went off OnePlus years ago. I remember I tried out the OnePlus 2 and it was horrible, finger print scanner was mediocre at best. Phone felt sluggish and just didn't work in general. Sent it back and got a refund.

Seeing all this justifies my reasons for not wanting to buy another one. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

6 hours ago, FourCorners said:

I don't really know what to feel as I read this thread on my realatively new One Plus 5...

I've been happy with the performance of my OP5, however all this news coming out about OnePlus doing all this shady shit doesn't really aspire confidence

I think you can still return it. ??‍♂️

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Same with my Huawei Honor 5x, when I unlocked the bootloader it factory reset my device.

I used to be quite active here.

Ugh.

OnePlus is one of the few companies that still offers relatively affordable flagships. Many consider their phones as the successor to the Nexus lineup in a way, in that it's cheap and very developer friendly. Frustrating to see the company do so much shady and careless crap like this. 

Well there goes OnePlus for me, I was slightly considering it but nope. Id rather not anymore. I guess I really am going full Moto 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

11 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

not from what i found online, but i didnt even get to unlock it before it wiped, it wasent suposed to wipe when it did

Pretty sure it's a security feature. So if somebody steals your phone they can't get access to it by simply unlocking the bootloader and rooting it. I wouldn't use a phone that doesn't wipe on unlocking the bootloader.

Where did you find a method to do it without a data wipe? 

Just now, OmJo93 said:

Pretty sure it's a security feature. So if somebody steals your phone they can't get access to it by simply unlocking the bootloader and rooting it. I wouldn't use a phone that doesn't wipe on unlocking the bootloader.

Where did you find a method to do it without a data wipe? 

it was suposed to do it, just not where it did it. this was before getting into the real unlock, right before i was about to pull a backup

Builds:

Spoiler

*Googles OnePlus*

>Shenzhen based

Would say I'm surprised, I'm not. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

it was suposed to do it, just not where it did it. this was before getting into the real unlock, right before i was about to pull a backup

What are/were you trying to backup?

Just now, OmJo93 said:

What are/were you trying to backup?

my data, video i watched said these were the steps to get to the backup of the entire phone, so i never botherd to back up the 25gb of irreplacable files on it before then

Builds:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, silentprototipe said:

Well there goes OnePlus for me, I was slightly considering it but nope. Id rather not anymore. I guess I really am going full Moto 

Fun fact: The same program has been found on Moto phones.

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Fun fact: The same program has been found on Moto phones.

Really, most Snapdragon devices would have it as its main purpose is being a diagnostic app.

That said, shouldn’t have been there when it’s shipped.