Scrapyard Wars 7 (Unofficial)

mankeez

A scrapyard wars where all the parts needed are already acquired but hidden in the "Battlefield". They are given paintball/airsoft/lasertag weaponry and have to find and gather the parts needed while trying to fight off the other team. It is split into many rounds and there are GPU rounds PSU rounds case rounds etc. The final round is the CPU and motherboard round where the teams have to find a matching set.

Every round has many low tier pieces a few mid tier and 1-2 high tier ones.

@nicklmg Please make it happen

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

10 hours ago, mankeez said:

The thing is yours stands out. It's the most down to earth, reasonable option and which I now want to watch so If you dont get LTT working on it imma get mad at you (kidding obviously)

You win. Time to shout into the void and see if it shouts back...or bans me.

*Inhales*. Yo, @LinusTech, might I have a brief moment of your attention?

*hides*

$1000-$1500 budget "scrapyard wars"? oh you mean "Average budget build wars"?

Details separate people.

10 hours ago, KhandakeF said:

The Corsair RGB fans Kyle reviewed?

No, the LTT special noctua edition.

Scrapyard Wars Aussie edition with Bryan from TechYesCity!!

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

On 11/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, mankeez said:

I have a probably great idea for SYW7. They should do like they did in the second one, but with 1200$ budget because it'd be super funny to watch linus break a 1080 Ti while trying to watercool it ??

$1200 aint no scrap yard

Its gotta be cheaper then that, its gotta be scrap yard prices.

5 minutes ago, Jasco1997 said:

$500 budget, 48 hours nonstop with no down-time and no breaks

Live stream for charity donations and giving the pc's to needy familes, but I doubt they'd ever do that. They dont even wear poppies for our veterans.

• 3 months later...
On 07/11/2017 at 10:23 PM, Tomsta said:

Come to London and do the £1337 build again but with public transport not included, public transport in London in very expensive

Not if you stay inside Zone 1. Then it's like £6 a day.

I dislike simultaneous releases

three ideas..

1. teams with people chosen from the community.  Luke and Linus would advise/judge and award prizes

2. retro hardware!  set limits by year... all the hardware must accomplish a certain goal but can't be newer than XXXX year/time period. the older the rig, the more points it scores.

3. no cars! public transport, walking, or bicycle only. 

I'm not an expert! In fact I'm usually just 1 google search ahead of you. 

5 hours ago, Cajmo said:

Not if you stay inside Zone 1. Then it's like £6 a day.

or outside of it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

12 hours ago, NoCarrier said:

1. teams with people chosen from the community.  Luke and Linus would advise/judge and award prizes

For an extra bit of challenge, have people setting up the systems who were born AFTER PCIe and SATA came out. :P

(This should actually be after the next section, I just can't move it on mobile.)

2. retro hardware!  set limits by year... all the hardware must accomplish a certain goal but can't be newer than XXXX year/time period. the older the rig, the more points it scores.

I would especially like to see this!  I want to see Linus and crew struggle with parts that don't support any type of auto-configuration or plug-and-play. :P

For expansion slot interface, it can't use any technology released after 1991.  (PCI came out in 1992.)  ISA would be used - you had to manually configure IRQ line, I/O address, DMA channel, etc.

Peripheral devices aren't allowed to use interfaces from after 1993.  (USB development began in 1994.)  Instead, use serial, parallel, game and 5-pin DIN ports.  (Also, try to avoid PS/2.)

Also no DVI or newer either - use DE9 D-Sub connectors for display outputs.  (DE15, what VGA uses, may be allowable if there's no auto-configuration or hot plugging supported.)  (Display interface should be no newer than 1986 - the VGA connector came out in 1987.)

Internal storage devices are prohibited from using interfaces from after 1985.  (IDE was designed in 1986.)  They'll need to manually configure things like cylinders, heads, sectors/track, write pre-compensation,, landing zone, interleave, etc. :P

For PSU/mobo/case design, it has to be from 1994 or earlier.  (ATX came out in 1995.)  Watch out when plugging in the mobo power connector - if it's done wrong, BANG!

RAM should be individual DIP chips - no SIMMs (invented in 1982) or newer are to be used.

Basically the system would use serial ports, DIN connectors, DE9 D-Sub, ISA slots, ST-506 interface hard drives, etc.

Oh, and a command line only OS should be used.  (A GUI is only allowed specifically to run games that require it, it cannot be used to aid in setup. In no case is any Windows OS newer than 3.11 allowed if a GUI is used at all.)

The builders can have people old enough to have experience in those legacy things coaching them verbally (no hands-on except for emergencies, for example one of Linus's kids, or someone else born after NVMe or LGA 2011/1150 was invented, has plugged in an AT power connector wrong and has their other hand on the power switch about to turn it on), as well as being their competition. xD

I'd like to see some other tech tubers and maybe a few Twitch streamers participate in building said systems as well. :D

A lot of the games played would be the older DOS games, with the most graphically intense ones probably being Wolfenstein 3D or the original DOOM.

Oh, and another video I'd like to see sometime is the aftermath of @LinusTech Drop Tips dropping a mechanical hard drive WHILE it's being accessed. :P

Make it a live streamed event with gps monitoring and such, and you get 1 day start to finish.

I would agree about setting a limit for date, but I would say it has to be (somewhat) modern system. I mean, one of the points of Scrapyard Wars is to build a machine that is capable of something, right? 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

21 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Make it a live streamed event with gps monitoring and such, and you get 1 day start to finish.

A live stream would be a little tedious for a full day (considering there would be quite a bit of downtime waiting for replies and travelling etc.).

It would essentially end up like that raw 2hr video they did as proof of when they bought processors and compared them with the review samples they got.

I much prefer the "from the ground up" idea.

Also, I'd much prefer it to go back to just Linus v Luke (at a stretch have other LMG employees take part). I understand that collaborations with other YouTubers is good for views but crossovers don't always work. The only duo I'd be willing to watch against Linus and Luke (Team name: Lie-Nus and LukeWasWrong) is Kyle and Paul (Team Name: Awesome Hardware...obviously). I know it happened in Season 5...but I like the dynamic that the 4 of them had.

@bitwit Any possibility of you and Paul jumping back in for another Scrapyard Wars against the boys?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Id sit and watch it live streamed for like 5 hours on a sunday @Ezzy-525

Ya never know the turnout until ya try.

3 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Id sit and watch it live streamed for like 5 hours on a sunday @Ezzy-525

Ya never know the turnout until ya try.

To be fair...I probably would too xD

But with all the driving and whatnot, it might not hold viewers.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

• 2 weeks later...

How about no money just influence?