Vega 64 watercooled VS 1080ti watercooled, benchmark request!

So, Vega 64s from XFX are in stock on Amazon, for $500. This is good news! But, some things will need to be clarified before I just go buying one... 

Firstly, no budget is enforced on something I really want. 

Secondly, this is more complicated than which one is best. It's what you think is WORTH it. 

Thirdly, fanboyism will be immediately reported. If you blindly love Team Green, or Team Red, awesome. Don't shit on this post, please. 

Alright. Vega 64 is 500 now. That's incredible to see. Performance, when water cooled, is a whole new story, however. Lots of things to keep in mind. FineWine improvements to the Vega could bring it ahead of the 1080, and we all know Nvidia sucks at driver support. With the Vega at 500 and a waterblock at 130, this could be a killer combo! One caveat, however... the Vega draws SO MUCH power. And overclocking it will worsen that power draw. I've seen examples where it drew 435 watts during a

Furmark test. That's insanity. I know on water, the Vega chip stays nice and frosty. But if it's anything like Ryzen, with a voltage wall, it'll get sent back to Amazon with a refund request. Now, the 1080 is a solid contender, but Jay has taught me to go as high as I can, when buying, so that I don't need to upgrade sooner. So, probs 1080ti, right? I'm also interested in watercooled SLI/CF, however, since I've wanted that enthusiast level hardware for a while now. Just looks damn great, you know? This also is a restriction, because x2 Vega at full pin, overclocked, would be close to 850w of power, JUST for the GPUs. 

So, my dilemma is this: 

Vega 64, watercooled @ $630, huge power draw with possible improvements over time. Feel good purchase.

OR

1080ti watercooled @ $859, better power draw, could be worse when OC'd, shoddy driver support, but current King of the Hill.

What would YOU do, and why? Can anyone show me benchmarks of their Vega 64 + 7700k system, so I can see if the Vega 64 got better over time? 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, shotsfired said:

So, Vega 64s from XFX are in stock on Amazon, for $500. This is good news! But, some things will need to be clarified before I just go buying one... 

Firstly, no budget is enforced on something I really want. 

Secondly, this is more complicated than which one is best. It's what you think is WORTH it. 

Thirdly, fanboyism will be immediately reported. If you blindly love Team Green, or Team Red, awesome. Don't shit on this post, please. 

Alright. Vega 64 is 500 now. That's incredible to see. Performance, when water cooled, is a whole new story, however. Lots of things to keep in mind. FineWine improvements to the Vega could bring it ahead of the 1080, and we all know Nvidia sucks at driver support. With the Vega at 500 and a waterblock at 130, this could be a killer combo! One caveat, however... the Vega draws SO MUCH power. And overclocking it will worsen that power draw. I've seen examples where it drew 435 watts during a

Furmark test. That's insanity. I know on water, the Vega chip stays nice and frosty. But if it's anything like Ryzen, with a voltage wall, it'll get sent back to Amazon with a refund request. Now, the 1080 is a solid contender, but Jay has taught me to go as high as I can, when buying, so that I don't need to upgrade sooner. So, probs 1080ti, right? I'm also interested in watercooled SLI/CF, however, since I've wanted that enthusiast level hardware for a while now. Just looks damn great, you know? This also is a restriction, because x2 Vega at full pin, overclocked, would be close to 850w of power, JUST for the GPUs. 

So, my dilemma is this: 

Vega 64, watercooled @ $630, huge power draw with possible improvements over time. Feel good purchase.

OR

1080ti watercooled @ $859, better power draw, could be worse when OC'd, shoddy driver support, but current King of the Hill.

What would YOU do, and why? Can anyone show me benchmarks of their Vega 64 + 7700k system, so I can see if the Vega 64 got better over time? 

Thanks! 

If you are doing just gaming then 1080 Ti will serve you better but if you are doing anything related to professional work then Vega 64 is way to go.

5 minutes ago, shotsfired said:

and we all know Nvidia sucks at driver support.

The only reason people think amd is good at driver support is due to them refreshing their cards, it isn't hard to keep good drivers if the new card is the same as the old card just with a higher clock speed and better thermals, when they make new designs they are no better look at the fury for a recent example.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I wouldn't count on finewine letting Vega catch the 1080 Ti. Max OC to Max OC, the 1080 Ti actually has slightly more Flops

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

Just go watch GamersNexus review of Vega... and even with massive OC to over 1700MHz on the core, it is not even close to the Titan X.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Will V64 ever become better than a 1080ti in most games, no (Its already faster in a couple though, Forza 7) But you're also paying $200 more for the 1080ti so it should be expected that it would be faster. Will it eventually overtake the 1080 though, Id be willing to say probably

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1080Ti all the way. It's performance is consistent, whereas the Vega cards are hit and miss. I know if it was my money, I wouldn't be spending it on a card that may or may not perform great on a title I want to play.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Vega 64 performs clock for clock the same as vega 56 in games https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3053-vega-64-vs-vega-56-clock-for-clock-shader-differences , performance wise you are buying an overclocked vega 56 for 500$. Vega 64 will probably never come close to a 1080 ti in games,

but you will draw a lot of power if you try. If you have a freesync monitor and really dont care about the power draw it might make sense for 500$,

but at around the same pricepoint a 1070 ti makes a lot more sense otherwise (overclocks nicely it seems). If course if you really want all the performance you can get go for a 1080 ti.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Just go watch GamersNexus review of Vega... and even with massive OC to over 1700MHz on the core, it is not even close to the Titan X.

This is a good reply. Thank you. I will go check that video out right after this.  

1 hour ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

Vega 64 performs clock for clock the same as vega 56 in games https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3053-vega-64-vs-vega-56-clock-for-clock-shader-differences , performance wise you are buying an overclocked vega 56 for 500$. Vega 64 will probably never come close to a 1080 ti in games,

but you will draw a lot of power if you try. If you have a freesync monitor and really dont care about the power draw it might make sense for 500$,

but at around the same pricepoint a 1070 ti makes a lot more sense otherwise (overclocks nicely it seems). If course if you really want all the performance you can get go for a 1080 ti.

I don't have a FreeSync or GSync monitor, that is to come soon though. Doesn't it seem like FreeSync is more widely supported with monitor makers, these days?? 

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

Can you link that video? For some reason, I can't find it. 

42 minutes ago, shotsfired said:

I don't have a FreeSync or GSync monitor, that is to come soon though. Doesn't it seem like FreeSync is more widely supported with monitor makers, these days?? 

Gsync needs a dedicated module from Nvidia that adds around 200$ to the price of a monitor, 

that is why it is not that widely supported despite most people running nvidia gpus. Freesync uses the

displayport standart (some can do freesyc over hdmi though), so it doesnt add much cost but might not

be implemented as well as gsync especially in very cheap monitors. If you are in the freesync or gsync range

(freesync often only down to 48 fps max) both technologies should do the same though. Of course Nvidia could also

start supporting freesync .... but it seems they much rather sell their gsync modules for some extra $$$.

Running 2x Vega 64 liquid cooled and they perform very well at compute (Seti@Home) and can also play games OK... but not great. Go the 1080Tis if gaming is more important than compute. As more games become made specifically for DX12/Vulcan things will improve, but by the time they improve enough to rock anyone socks then the next gen GPUs will likely be out.

The 120mm radiator attached to each GPU with push-pull fan configuration (extra fan added after market) does a great job pulling the heat out of the cards and they never get above 65% deg celsius with 24/7 100% load. The room sure gets toasty though.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

11 hours ago, shotsfired said:

Can you link that video? For some reason, I can't find it. 

• 8 months later...
On 11/3/2017 at 4:31 PM, Moress said:

Will V64 ever become better than a 1080ti in most games, no (Its already faster in a couple though, Forza 7) But you're also paying $200 more for the 1080ti so it should be expected that it would be faster. Will it eventually overtake the 1080 though, Id be willing to say probably

The Vega 64 is faster in Microsoft titles because Microsoft implements true Asynchronous Compute in their DX12 titles. Nvidia requested developers to not implement True Asynchronous Compute in their DX12 titles because it would give AMD a large advantage. They did however request developers to use their proprietary Asynch Compute instructions because Nvidia does not have support for True Asynchronous Compute. Nvidia uses a simulated Asynch Compute implemented in their BIOS firmware which requires their instructions. If True Asynchronous Compute was implemented in all DX 12 titles the Vega 64 would destroy the Geforce 1080ti in every benchmark.