The Verge Tech Survey: How Americans really feel about Facebook, Apple, and more

EunSoo

Not sure if this counts as "Tech News" but here goes:

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/27/16550640/verge-tech-survey-amazon-facebook-google-twitter-popularity

Article Written by Casey Newton, Nick Statt and Michael Zelenko from The Verge

The Verge partnered with Reticle Research to survey people in America about how they felt about the biggest Tech companies including Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, and Amazon:

This survey, conducted from September 28th to October 10th, included 1,520 people nationally representative of the US, based on 2016 US Census estimates. The margin of error is ±3 percent, with a confidence level of 95 percent.

The results of this survey are something that I cannot confidently summarize in a few words, quotes and pictures in a forum post so I strongly recommend you first go read the article, look at the graphs and then read the several articles they wrote on those graphs. And then we can discuss what interests us in this thread. Here is the Article: https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/27/16550640/verge-tech-survey-amazon-facebook-google-twitter-popularity

Here are some more specific articles they wrote of the statistics they found:

Apple is not America's Favorite Tech Company

America Doesn't Trust Facebook

Amazon is the Ruthless Corporate Juggernate People Love

A Third of America Wouldn't Care if Twitter Disappeared

This is The Verge's summary of their survey but again, I recommend you at least look at all the graphs that illustrate the responses to their questions.

The findings are fascinating: respondents trusted Facebook less than Google, and “trust” was a primary factor for individuals who abstained from using Facebook overall. Respondents trusted Amazon almost as much as their own bank.

Almost half of US Facebook users are unaware that Facebook makes money by selling info about their activities and interests, but even with that knowledge, few users plan dramatic changes to how they use the platform. Of all the companies named in our survey, respondents were most likely to recommend services from Amazon to their family and friends. Twitter sits on the opposite side of the spectrum: a quarter of respondents said they are probably, or not at all likely, to recommend the service.

I hope that people will start doing more research on the services and products they use and the companies that produce them after reading this article. Though maybe you already knew all this and that's good. 

Graphs of the questions and the survey's responses:

Spoiler

Amazon_01_01.jpg

apple_02_01_3_01_1024.jpg

Facebook_01_01.jpg

Facebook_02_v02_01.jpg

Facebook_04_01.jpg

Facebook_05_01.jpg

Facebook_06_01.jpg

Facebook_07_01.jpg

Facebook_08_v02_01.jpg

Amazon_04_01.jpg

Twitter_05_01.jpg

Facebook_11_01.jpg

facebook_03_01_1024.jpg

facebook_13_2_01_1024.jpg

Facebook_12_01.jpg

Facebook_14_01.jpg

Facebook_15_01.jpg

Facebook_16_01.jpg

What are your findings? Did what you believe vary from what the survey says? Do you disagree with the survey? Lay out your thoughts...

I'm not shocked at all that people don't trust Facebook.

With all the bullshit that's buzzing around with them (and Twitter) it wouldn't shock me.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Lol, I don't trust the Verge either.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

"Almost half of US Facebook users are unaware that Facebook makes money by selling info about their activities and interests"

that should ring some bells here and there shouldn't it

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Lol, I don't trust the Verge either.

1 minute ago, EvilTidaLWaveZ said:

Why, too factual for you?

Oh no... They're multiplying!

2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

ohh, this is not going to turn out well, will it? Remember to keep it civil guys... No need to get this thread locked

No worries, one troll user doesn't typically get a thread locked. 

On topic: Honestly nothing here is surprising. This is just re-affirming what we already suspected.

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

ohh, this is not going to turn out well, will it? Remember to keep it civil guys... No need to get this thread locked

LET IT BURRRRNNN!

Nothing too unexpected or surprising much. Maybe mainly how some people put trust towards certain company more just case they put more effort into loking more user friendly. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

"5.2% of people think Facebook accounts are safe from hackers". wow........ just wow, why on earth would they think that?  

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

4 minutes ago, Elite14 said:

"5.2% of people think Facebook accounts are safe from hackers". wow........ just wow, why on earth would they think that?  

Because they think no one will guess their first pet's name and the year they graduated high-school... 

THEY STOLE MY SIGNATURE!

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wow i just put two and two together. why would security questions be a thing when the answers are searchable in the user page? -_-

I think that is why companies are switching to a two-factor authentication platform. Although I am not a security expert so do not quote me on that....

The Verge sucks and 1,520 users is a tiny pool of people to even make this survey remotely relevant.

That said, it doesn't take a survey to know Facebook is sketchy. Even if the company treated your face info with more security than Fort Knox, creepy stalkers still flood the social media giant.

What percentage of facebook users are actually real people?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

What percentage of facebook users are actually real people?

I haven't been on in about 5 years but back then it seemed to be about 10-15%

Not really surprising though is it.

Apple; A large devoted following, but not as large as the group of people who think 'I'm not paying that much for a phone', so it would make sense that it isn't the favourite. Amazon on the other hand, pretty much everyone with a internet connected device uses it, so it makes sense it has a lot of fans, even if we know deep down Amazon is evil. Apple sells to an, admittedly large, niche, Amazon sells to anything with a pulse.

Twitter, I'm surprised it's a low as a third who wouldn't care if it disappeared. A lot of people struggle top see the point of Twitter, and personally I don't know a huge number of people who use it regularly enough to miss it if it disappeared.

Facebook; Stories about Facebook selling targetted ads to depressed teenagers and experiments on it's users base haven't helped their cause. The changing privacy settings, the people who get scammed by fellow Facebook users, the difficulty in getting your profile deleted for good. Anyone who trusts them haven't been paying attention. And anecdotally from the people I know it's popularity is on the wane, replaced by whatsapp for those who just want to easily keep in touch, leaving FB for the attention seekers.

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Questionable survey from questionable site about the opinions of people who cared enough to manage to get Trump into office

I'm sorry?

We're not allowed to talk about who get's what, when, where and how.

1 hour ago, Tedny said:

1,520 people, ok, pass for this statistics 

Statistically speaking, that's enough.

Obviously, it would be cool to have a billion people surveyed, but quantity does not equal quality or vice versa.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches